Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

Competitive cooperative? Yes listen on...

I'm not sure if this has been done before, or it's too abusrd of an idea to bother with, but listen on, then ridicule. =-)
Anyhoo, Competitive Coop. Two teams. Two copies of the same map on the same map (Yes it's confusing). Each team starts in their corresponding map. First team to fight their way through and reach the exit on their map wins. I just thought of this whacked out idea and thought I'd stick it on here for anybody that'd like to attempt it, or call me looney. moo.

At least making levels won't be any more difficult as you can simply copy and paste a completed level somewhere next to itself for starters. :D

Yeah, I probably won't bother putting this idea into production, so if anybody's interested, it's up for grabs.

It can probably be scripted in Zdoom, and might be quite fun, specially if it was a HR2 level, the end would be an ocean of corpses

Hm, yeah, I kind of like it. This might also have something to do with the resurgence of co-op on ZDaemon (since some people really like co-op and there are hardly any servers with co-op on them).

Another idea would be a Doom version of Perfect Dark's "Counter-Operative" mode, where one player's the standard player, and the other players spawn "as" the closest monsters. When a player-controlled monster dies, his controls flicks to another monster close to the player.

It'd be an absolute BITCH to code, but kinda cool.

[/newproject]

Actually, considering DOOM's speed, the counter-operative thing would be a big hit, in my book. Yeah. Good idea.

In a LAN environment you can use any wad with Coop support to play this idea.

Two copies of the same map, In the same map?

Cool.

But I'd personally go farther, and make every close/open door linked, and every switch (If possible) the on/off variety -- so that the team in one map can actually hinder progress for the other team, and get a (very) rough idea where the other team are... there's maybe even some badass scope for strategy if you include puzzles that, say, require multiple lifts BUT the lifts are activated for the other team...

...maybe even ballsy shortcuts for the tailing team, because the other team opens up the level TEMPORARILY with certain doors and lifts, etc...

Man, this is such a cool idea. Obviously, it would require quite a structured, planned approach to mapmaking, and EXTENSIVE testing and tweaking, but it would be cool.

As a further idea, what about "windows" every now and again that let one team see the other in action? This would work best if the other team were actually on a MIRROR IMAGE version of the level.

...and ANOTHER idea... to even things up a little, maybe have caches of monsters that are activated by the first team to pass a certain point in the map; therefore the leading team also gets the most monsters, evening things out a little (Kind of an auto-handicap system to give poorer players a fairer game). For those that wish not to have this feature, simply flag the monsters as, say, skill1&2 only.

Man, I'm full of ideas for this concept. Somebody do it. And record demos. :D

Wait a sec, I just noticed... nevermind, newproject and all ;)

You could also give each team points for everything. Points for finding secrets, points for killing monsters, points for reaching the exit. So even if one team had a really good speedrunner, the other team could make up for it by killing/exploring more.

And maybe subtract points for being killed.

The simplest way to implement that would be using 2 coop servers with a communication layer between the two of them.

I once did a really small map like that... it was vanilla though. It had four copies of the small map and a starting room with four teleports (all W1). The level, after being played through a couple times, only took about two minutes to complete. It kinda sucked though... but at the end I had a setup where the first player there gets teleported to a "winner platform," with a switch behind them leading up to the exit, while the others found themselves blocked by bars. :-P

Sounds cool, but it would give a huge advantage to real speedrunning freaks. They could play the map repeatedly, and gain the good 'ol encyclopedic knowledge of the level. I think it'd be essential for fun, to have the maps hinder speedrunning as much as possible. Not like the "speedrunner's nightmare" map from Mock 2: Speed of stupid. heh, that'd just be evil. I also think that, one problem with Coop maps is that ammo starts to run low if the players arent great at playing, and die frequently... well, then it just becomes boring respawn, grab some weapons, fire off the few shots you get, die again. Or maybe I just suck. Well, point is, i think that ammo should respawn.

I've got an idea, how about people co-op a map, then other people co-op a map, then they compare their times and see who wins!!!!

Linguica said:

I've got an idea, how about people co-op a map, then other people co-op a map, then they compare their times and see who wins!!!!

Why not? I just had some mental diahheria (is that how you spell it bloodshedder?) of an idea I just put up for the hell of it. But I guess it'd just be the fact that it's simultaeneous competition.