Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killer9

Favorite non doom music genre to listen to while playing doom

What is your favorite music (not the one that is playing in the game) genre (i.e., rock, death metal, punk, rap, whatever) to listen to while playing doom? Mine would have to be "let the bodies hit the floor", I think thats death metal. Anyways, its a pretty dumb song to listen to other than listening to it while playing doom.

killer9 said:

"let the bodies hit the floor", I think thats death metal

you think wrong

and i listen to the goddamn midis

I just listen to the midis.

I bet Skinny Puppy would work well though, 'specialy their mid-career stuff when they were all fucked up on heroin.

Gong

"Have a cup of tea, have another one, have a cup of tea, have another one, have a...."

Slipknot, System Of A Down, the midis, and sometimes KoRn or Metallica.

Mostly Slipknot though.

killer9 said:

What is your favorite music (not the one that is playing in the game) genre (i.e., rock, death metal, punk, rap, whatever) to listen to while playing doom? Mine would have to be "let the bodies hit the floor", I think thats death metal. Anyways, its a pretty dumb song to listen to other than listening to it while playing doom.

let the bodies hit the floor? That's a Drowning Pool song, which equates to being as far away from the genre of death metal imaginable. Unless of course there's a band Called "Let the bodies hit the floor." Slayer, Pantera, Dimmu Borgir, Lacuna Coil, Monster Magnet, Cradle of Filth, In Flames, I could list for too long. Sometimes it's fun listening to happy music, as it's quite a justaposition between the dark and chaotic atmosphere and the happy music going along with it.

Slayer goes really well with Doom. No wonder they ripped a few of the songs into Doom2 for midis. I forget which levels though.

Mostly I use Sycrafts mp3 remixes (fantastic and keep the feel of the original tracks).

I'll bet 90% of the people here 20+ listen to metal. BTW Dimmu Borgir ROCKS!

Belinda Carlisle or Cindy Lauper.

I napstered the soundtrack to Star Wars. It's pretty good killing music.

Heh... Asteroid Field (from ESB) is pretty intense, now that you mention it.

POTGIESSER said:

let the bodies hit the floor? That's a Drowning Pool song, which equates to being as far away from the genre of death metal imaginable. Unless of course there's a band Called "Let the bodies hit the floor." Slayer, Pantera, Dimmu Borgir, Lacuna Coil, Monster Magnet, Cradle of Filth, In Flames, I could list for too long. Sometimes it's fun listening to happy music, as it's quite a justaposition between the dark and chaotic atmosphere and the happy music going along with it.

I don't really care what genre it is, it doesn't matter at all. Actually, since I don't have that song on my computer I only listen to that at my friends house (and no, I'm not going to download napster, kazaa, or any of that other bullshit, it fucked up my brother's computer). I usually listen to something with a strong drum beat, like john frusciante's "murderers". Before I played doom I played red faction 2's deathmatch w/ bots while listening to murderers a whole lot.

If a level has it's own midi/mod/ogg/whatever then i'll listen to that... if I can't stomach the music then I won't play the wad and delete it. Moistly there is nothing to lose. Most good wads (cybs for example) use really good music that suits the mood anyway, which makes the game far better IMHO.

With me being a musician I have a lot of tastes and I try to keep things relatively open minded. To be honest, I rarely encounter a doom level with a bad custom song... as long as it suits the mood or is similasr to the stock doom music it would work. I try to avoid songs (mainstream bands, etc...) as they have no place in a game or film unless it's for a spacific part and was spacifically written for that part.

In my levels, if I was making a surreal horror level then I would use Harsh Noise/Industrial... very abstract stuff like the Silent Hill 1 OST.

If I was making a fast paced action level I'd use a mixture between fast drum n bass/thrash metal and techno (pritty much like the Devil May Cry Music).

In Demons gate i'll try to make music like Quake 2's, straight forward bluesey metal. It's simple but it works :). It will suite the theme as I'm trying to emulate Quake 2 without actually purposefully emulating quake 2... you'll see :).

For a more helly map I'd do an orchestral/synth/ambient song to fit the theme. For that one, see Tormentors City of the Damned map :). The music is my handy work :).

It's all about taking the elements of certain music and matching them with the key elements of the theme/level. Death metal is quite hecktic, great for action and hell type themes, classical can be quite powerful if the right chords and orchestration is used, that would suite a certain sort of doom level too... play the last level for Equinox tpo see really greeat use of powerful music for a powerful theme... that was purely amaizing and stole my soul :). Anyone that can do that with ease is definately a true artist in my eyes. I'm not THAT good yet, but I feel that I have potential. I just need to practice.

When I've finished Tormentors tracks for his new and upcoming wad then I'll adverise my musical skills because it is good practicve to make music for a spacific theme. Its really good practice actually :).