Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Godshatter

limit removing port

can someone recommend a really good limit removing port? or have i misunderstood something and things like zdoom are actually limit removing ports.

(im wanting to play Deus Vult and the readme suggests that i have a very good limit removing port)

All Source Ports(ZDoom, Legacy, Edge etc.) are limit removing: the limits that you are referring to are the limits of the original Doom.exe

Try a few Source Ports and see which one you like best.

The demos (basically movies of gameplay) included with dv.wad are for ZDoom, if my memory serves me.

Just a hint. :D

ZDoom is the most popular "limit removing" port. Although if you just want a port that removes limits and don't need any new features or anything, PrBoom is probably your best bet.

Limit-removing is a bit of a misnomer. There are limits; they are just extended well beyond those of the original game. "Limit-removing port" is just a way to refer to most ports apart from the very earliest ones. Boom was one of the first ports that extended many of the limits, and most modern ports are either based on that or support its features.

Godshatter said:

(im wanting to play Deus Vult and the readme suggests that i have a very good limit removing port)

To play maps 1-4 of Deus Vult (i.e. the whole thing split into four parts), most ports will be adequate. However, if you want to play map 5 (i.e. the whole thing in one CPU-bashing map), then only Zdoom will work. Your framerate will be quite poor on most systems though. I generally find that glboom gives the best framerates on maps with a large number of "things" (e.g. the Nuts wads), but it can't run DV map05. :(

Lobo said:

All Source Ports(ZDoom, Legacy, Edge etc.) are limit removing:

"All" is a bit of a stretch.

He's more or less right, though; even DOSDoom raises the VPO limit to a degree.