Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JamesEightBitStar

Slowdown programs

Hey guys, does anyone know any good slowdown programs besides Moslo?

The deal is, I've been trying to play Wing Commander on my PC, but I've got the old DOS version (I wasn't smart enough to pick up the Kilrathi Saga port/compilation back when it was new, and now it's collectible and goes for rediculous prices on Ebay). After awhile of hassling with Moslo (I've found a bug in some versions where it'll stay stuck at the "Copyright Dave Parrell" text and the game never starts up) I finally got the game to run... but even if I set it to run the game at 1% of my total system speed, IT STILL RUNS TOO FAST.

So, any suggestions?

I'd like to know that myself. I still have not been able to run Cryptic Passage (Blood expansion), despite using Moslo.

...tries Google...and finds this...

Ichor said:

I still have not been able to run Cryptic Passage (Blood expansion), despite using Moslo.

Why would you need a slowdown program to run Blood? I can't imagine that Build would suffer from timing errors on new machines... I didn't notice any problems on my machine, at least.

Ichor said:

...tries Google...and finds this...

I went to that page too... unfortunately, nothing they had helped. Turbo was the best thing they offered, but even with that, some parts of Wing Commander were too damn slow while others were too damn fast.

best case. build another computer for older DOS games. if you are useing win98/2000/XP emulators here have an advantage. they are too buggy and use up too much resources, thus slowing them down a lot. i am sure it would work in one of those.

PS, these emulators where made for win2000/XP which have no DOS in them. however i am sure they would work on win98 and such, desptie the fact 98 has DOS still in it. it would work cause it is a slow program, infact doom has issues unless you got a new computer.

david_a said:

Why would you need a slowdown program to run Blood? I can't imagine that Build would suffer from timing errors on new machines... I didn't notice any problems on my machine, at least.

It's not Blood that I have a problem with. It's the expansion, which gives me a runtime error 200 every time I try to install it.

Ichor said:

It's not Blood that I have a problem with. It's the expansion, which gives me a runtime error 200 every time I try to install it.

So the installer needs a slow machine to work? That doesn't make sense.

I never ran into the problem because the abandonware legal copy I have already included the expansion.

Okay, I tried a DOS emulator. Specifically I tried DOSBox version .61. For some reason, the emulator just gives me a dos-like screen where it tells me it loaded sound info from the config file and it found my joystick, but never gives me a command prompt or anything. Even when I use some of the commands listed in the readme file it does this.

I think I'll try other emus.

I also found a Wing Commander forum where someone suggested messing with my BIOS. I've written down what changes I'll need to make so I can change 'em back if it doesn't work.

Install Virtual PC under Windows XP. Install another Windows XP under Virtual PC. If not yet satisfied and computer is still functional, Install Virtual PC under that Windows XP. Install yet another Windows XP. Repeat until satisfied. J/K.

Reportedly, it says something like "You cannot install Virtual PC from within itself. You just had to try didn't you."

Make a batch file that creates an empty directory and then deletes it over and over. Set it to high priority in task manager. It may take two or three instances to get the desired effect. But it will slow things down.