Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KNorton

Lets have a tourny, sounds good doesn't it?

Ok, I guess that the tourny toke tried setting up isn't going to happen....I'm saying we should have a new tourny. And by the look of the forums, ZDaemon is the most popular (and my favorite) multiplayer port out right now. So I say we should have a new tourny using ZDaemon. It's not that hard 2 set one up, we just need people who don't mind playing ZDaemon. I really wanna start something like this cause it would be great fun. So if you want 2 help me start this in anyway or form....join #zdaemon on irc with the irc server irc.openprojects.net or you could e-mail me at knortonos@yahoo.com....or just post a reply =] Fnord.

I'm all about some tourny action.. but how fair would it be on zdaemon? Will there be some sortof ping handicap? Someone with a 0 ping on his own server is gonna have a hella advantage over some poor sap with a 200+ ping.

I used to think i was hot shit on cable with my sub 80ping to ever server... but I've learned how that ping can be a bitch now that I'm back to 56k.(i moved closer to the beach where they dont offer cable internet yet nor any xdsl :)

I think a tourny is a great idea, and really wish i could include myself in this one. But ZDaemon's gonna make alot of ppl bitch about the lpb's...

Well I think playing on one's server would be out of the question if we got this tourny going. Someone with great bandwidth could run the server while the two others join, and when it comes time for the person running the server to play....someone else with high-bandwidth can run a server. Alas yes....it CAN'T be fair for someone with a ping of around 200 to play someone with an 85 ping....and I know this...and I'm sure everyone else knows this as well. But I don't think of doom2 as a "I'm so much better then you are!" kinda thing anymore...I play it 2 have fun....and winning is just one of the fun parts. I can't lie, I doubt anyone without cable/dsl will win, but that doesn't mean he can't have fun. And IMO that's what doom2 is all about nowadays. Fnord.

whooo! awesome idea! I'm all for it and will back KNorton on this 100%.

Of course...we'll have to get some prizes for those who to make it to the very top and win. But its a working idea...we just need support from everyone else out there so Knorton and I can get this thing rolling!

Also, I agree there should be a handicap frags for those who pings are really suffering like 240 - 85 difference or something.

But hey, who wants to have a tourney? Lets do this!

It's a helluva good idea and I'm glad its be declared a 'fun' tourney. My only concern that is was going to be a "we're all lpb's, we own you all!" tourney.

You're right, the only reason I still play this game because its alot of fun. I mean I still go on doomserv and find myself playing games with ticdup '5' to offset lag, why? 'cause its all just for fun. But also, there are too many dumbass's in this community who cant understand what a fun game is.. *cough* soviet *cough*... And they will make any tourney a bitch to play in. :)

So once this thing materializes, I'm in :)

Great ideas, I think one way of countering lag is for knorton and a few other players join some zdaemon servers and play some games, and look at the differences pings can make, a few games with 1 on 58 and 1 on 200 and vice versa, should give us an idea of what handicap would be fair and effective, if knorton is on one server with 58, and say, myself @200 and score =50-25 and next game on diff server he is 200 and i am 58 score 28-50 would indicate that a difference of 150 ping should give handicap of 20? Any ideas on this?

Yea...play an offical game to maybe 100 frags and we'll need to come up with a formula to calculate the difference between pings and formulate some handicap frags.

I dont know exactly formula of your tourney, but if it consist of duels than both players can start own servers one after another - so there will be equal conditions for them. And aslo there can be some spectators as referees on these servers

muahahahaha. Oh and I can't express this enough...this is gonna be a FUN tourny. Fun damn it

-This just in!- A good guy called _Lyfe_ has been nice enough 2 have a server running for us on a T1. And we might use a new wad called knorticdm.wad . I didn't name it, and I didn't make it....but it looks badass. I've only played one of the maps before (the third one, I think), but it looks really cool. So now we have a T1 and some levels. We don't HAVE to use knorticdm, but it looks cool and it would help from anyone knowing a map 2 well and really dominating. When Toke setup his tourny (which never really happened), he used a map no one ever played..well as far as I know...and it would have worked 2 use it in the tourny. But, I'm still very very open 2 all comments. We can do this! Let's have a FUN tourny......keyword again...FUN

Hey, i'd love to join :) But, i doubt ISDN from norway is great... assuming the servers are in the US, i can expect 4\500 ping (used to around 80).

You should announce some official maps.. not just the wad but what maps to play aswell. Just a thought :)

As for ping differences, one good way to handle them is to divide each match into 2 parts, player1 hosts the first game and player2 hosts the secound. That way, both players will have one game with no ping and one with the ping of the player with the slowest connection.

I would love ot play, but I can get zdameon to freaking work!!!!

Later

require doom2.wad, windows system dll.files. similar way how you set up csdoom

Later[/quote]require doom2.wad, windows system dll.files. similar way how you set up csdoom[/quote]

Dont forget the Iwads, i dont have em and thats y Zdeamon dont work 4 me.

heh

Zdaemon is a stupid place for a tourney

1. Its buggy as fuck, yeah give cheap fuckers the option to leave the game if there losing and blame on a crash.

2. Ping matters too much.

3. The gameplay is so altered it cant even be considered doom anymore.

4. CHEATING! you better disqualify zdaemons creator.

5. ITS BASED ON ZDOOM!!! the doomserv of doom ports.

WTF

pobla8.wad was used in the largest doom tourney ever...

KNorton, i think doomworld is getting to you

heh

Zdaemon is a stupid place for a tourney

1. Its buggy as fuck, yeah give cheap fuckers the option to leave the game if there losing and blame on a crash.

agreed, csdoom = zdaemon , both are buggy ports

2. Ping matters too much.

big word to me

3. The gameplay is so altered it cant even be considered doom anymore.

uh, dunno what you mean quite. The gameplay is still pretty much the same to me, except the retards who use mouselook to play

4. CHEATING! you better disqualify zdaemons creator.

lol, WO3D

5. ITS BASED ON ZDOOM!!! the doomserv of doom ports.

just don't get doomserv involved in. csdoom is also another victim

We need to throw Toke's old ass back in a time machine back to 1993. Then he'd finally shut up and wont be able to bother us on his 2400 baud modem. Not that DW was around then...

Also, he'd have his doom2.exe to use. Basically, what I'm saying is shut up toke.

Nothing new.

Im not fixated on doom2.exe

its just that there really isnt anything better for deathmatch.

I think the client/server ports have good lag handleing but there are more drawbacks then perks.

Every port these days has its own feel. Switching between different mouse code and other rules keeps you from building the level of skill the best players have, thats why they dont play ports.

I have no problem with new features or enhancements but i think the gameplay/feel should be preserved.

There is no reason to add quake mouse code, sound, etc.. to a doom port.

KNorton is the only good player I know that plays zdaemon. That should tell you something.

You are no different then the other coders that have created places to play doom online. (TGO and Fly) You refuse to do things correctly.

Even doomserv attracts better players than zdaemon.

I wish fly had finished csdoom. Even thought he didnt do things correctly he is still ten times the coder you are.

Heh, we had a small doom tourny in Kampen (my home city) with the Kamper Computer Club. Well, so much people came that we had to send some home. Not me because i am The Officlial Secondary System Administrator (really!)

De Zeurkous
-----------

Friggin' Machines!

my bad I haven't posted in awhile. Anyhoo, visit #zdaemon on irc.openprojects.net and talk 2 someone about enterin. NF: dude!!!!!!! where are you!!!!!