Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RetroGamer

zStrife?

is there any port for strife? cause my pc won't run properly, like with no sound, no music, no nothing, and the resolution itself is kinda tiring to the eyes.

There was news on the ZDoom page yesterday that the current (unreleased) version was able to completely play the Strife demo. Full support is only a matter of time now.

Graf Zahl said:

There was news on the ZDoom page yesterday that the current (unreleased) version was able to completely play the Strife demo. Full support is only a matter of time now.

So will this mean I went though all the trouble to make SvStrife for nothing?

That depends whether it is better than ZDoom. Are you really surprised that this is happening? ;)

Graf Zahl said:

Are you really surprised that this is happening? ;)

Z(MS)Doom anyone? :P

Graf Zahl said:

That depends whether it is better than ZDoom. Are you really surprised that this is happening? ;)

well, yes, I am glad to see Zdoom is getting somewhere with Strife support, but now I am beginning to have doubts about my port, I don't want to waste another 2 or so months only to make a port that no one will play I am getting even more doubts since SvStrife uses an alternate scripting method by calling text lumps instead of the actual compiled scripts in the iwad. And the port is not far from being completed either.

Deathman said:

SvStrife uses an alternate scripting method by calling text lumps instead of the actual compiled scripts in the iwad.

Why did you do that? All the necessary script parsing code is freely available in Vavoom. I was able to compile it into PrBoom in a few hours and it worked and I never did anything with this script format before and had no further information how it was to be used.

I did that because I attempted to port Vavoom's code over myself, but failed. The alternate script is implented until I get the vavoom code working again.

Btw, mind sharing that code you compiled in prboom? heh.

Everything seemed to work in Vavoom beautifully, minus the infamous slowness and stuff. In Vavoom in OpenGL mode all of the sprites are partially sunk into the ground, in all of the doom based games, and in Strife it got stuck at the part where you're supposed to destroy some computer or something. Anyway I crawled through a vent and jumped down it to a steel door that wouldn't respond so I was stuck down in the vent. I know that wasn't right but I had no idea what was wrong.
Those are the only problems with Vavoom's Strife support as far as I know.

Deathman said:

Btw, mind sharing that code you compiled in prboom? heh.

No, but it won't help you much because I did this for a version I ported to C++ myself some time ago and the code won't work with plain C. So you'd be as far as with Vavoom's original code...

Piezo said:

and in Strife it got stuck at the part where you're supposed to destroy some computer or something.

That's hardly surprising because some very important stuff doesn't work yet. A lot of doors open too early, the friendly AI of the rebels isn't there and any story-specific special that is not script driven doesn't work.

Graf Zahl said:

That's hardly surprising because some very important stuff doesn't work yet. A lot of doors open too early, the friendly AI of the rebels isn't there and any story-specific special that is not script driven doesn't work.

Well I wouldn't know because I've never played it in it's original integrity. Well no that's not true because I made it run under Windows 98 but with no sound. If I can get my 486 working right I can play those old school games without having to worry about how the sound doesn't work and other nuisances.
Except of course, once the next version of ZDoom is out, it wont really matter.

Graf Zahl said:

No, but it won't help you much because I did this for a version I ported to C++ myself some time ago and the code won't work with plain C. So you'd be as far as with Vavoom's original code...

I figure I'll give it another shot. Even though the code still won't work for certain events (Power Crystal).

The power crystal doesn't trigger a script. It directly gives a process token to the player when destroyed. The same for the gate control system and the computer.

You can identify these items by checking for the Boss/Questthing flag in Sehacked on shootable decorations and then use the Speed value of these items as the process token index to give when they are destroyed.

I already know about the Crystal giving token quest 14, but what I was told, that the player gets stuck on a certian area in Vavoom. Although it could be missing linedefs.

Btw, I think this is a good time that I upload the Strife specs and post it here..
Unless, someone already made a compiler..

Deathman said:

I already know about the Crystal giving token quest 14, but what I was told, that the player gets stuck on a certian area in Vavoom. Although it could be missing linedefs.

Btw, I think this is a good time that I upload the Strife specs and post it here..

Vavoom doesn't give the token when the crystal is destroyed. That's why you are stuck. The fact that other areas open prematurely doesn't help either. Just go to the castle and watch the mess going on there...

Keep going with your port Deathman. I'd play it without hestation and I'm sure there are lots of other people who would too.

Keep up the good work!!