Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wolfpackmars2

Make IWAD

How to make an IWAD? I use Legacy doom, and want to manually patch TNT.WAD for network gaming (the level 31 bug). I use Doom Builder to edit maps, but I don't think it supports IWAD editing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Wolf

IWADs and PWADs are the same, except for the "identifier" at the beginning of the file. For IWADs it's "IWAD", for PWADs it's "PWAD" ;)

So open it up in a hex editor (notepad would be fine I guess?), change the first letter from I to P, make your changes in doom builder, save, change first letter from P to I, test.

Make a backup somewhere in there.

Epyo said:

So open it up in a hex editor (notepad would be fine I guess?)

No, Notepad is not a hex editor. Using it for this purpose would trash the data, if it could handle a file this big.

Ah, wordpad then! Just kidding just kidding!

Hope I didn't just ruin his tnt.wad, in which case, woops.

I'm able to edit the IWAD, using both a hex editor and Doom Builder, but Legacy Launcher fails to load the IWAD afterwards. I can run legacy -iwad tntnew.wad and it will load fine.

But when using the loader, it reverts to whichever game mode I used previously and fails to load the new tnt.wad.

Any ideas?

Fact: Legacy launcher sucks horribly. Either run from command line, batch files (I used to do this), or make your own frontend like I did. :P

What did you use to create the front end? The legacy website doesn't offer much in the way of options and command line parameters available for legacy.

Would you mind sharing your front end?

wolfpackmars2 said:

The legacy website doesn't offer much in the way of options and command line parameters available for legacy.

The Legacy documentation is included when you download Legacy. The file "Legacy.html" contains a list of additional command-line options (see "[6] Command-line options"). Otherwise, the command-line options are the same as those in the original game.