Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

Is this game addicting or What !?

Ok, I started playing like 4 months ago (I had not played the game for over 2 years), so with all of those great memories coming back from the experience, i was HOOKED.

About one month later, I find myself tired of the game, so I ditch it.

I am bored one day so I decide to open up Doombuilder once again and I start crafting some maps.

Here I am again - HOOKED on the game, AGAIN!

Geez, this game just never dies.

LONG - LIVE - DOOM!

Anyone else had an experience like this?

chubz said:

Anyone else had an experience like this?

That's the doom effect. Countless members have tried to leave the community/doom and failed miserably every time.

Shaviro said:

Countless members have tried to leave the community/doom and failed miserably every time.

Dammit!

Naitguolf said:

Dammit!

lol :D

Yea - but this isnt what scares me.

What scares me is the game known as "doom 3" .........

:)

Yeah, that's the real reason why it's called Doom. You can never escape it.

Grazza said:

lol, I never thought about that!!!!! =)

there is no escape...from the island...of DOOM!

You can never leave! hear to stay, forever.

my problem is i never tried to leave

Grazza said:

Heh. That is funny.

Doom is one of the few games that has managed to hold my attention for such a long period of time. I played the hell out of Doom Shareawre 1.2, quit for a bit, played the hell out of DOOM II 1.666 and tried my hand at a few maps, quit for a much longer time, and picked it up again almost a year ago.

Yeah, this thing has an unmatched hold on me.

I second that. Very similar story, too. It's just a good, simple (yet VERY deep when attaining the finer points of play) game. And its community is such that they maintain and appreciate the game. Very cool.

Heh, i started playing it round a friend's, he had an early shareware version (not 1.2, it had the proper BFG, though i swear the blast was pink!), and the holy grail of gaming (at the time), a 486!. Then he got hexen, heretic and quake, but we hardly even played them. Then in 1996 i got a playstation and doom was like the 3rd game i got for it (the first two came with it, heh), and played that loads, occasionally diverted by GTA and FF7. Then i got a PC and was eager to get my hands on the "25,000 different sites with doom levels on" that my friend had told me about (still looking..heh), after a lot of confusion and mucking about with the doom 95 launcher i found Legacy, it was still good then, and had the n00b-friendly launcher (still its best feature!..well that and 3D floors), so finally i could play crap 1995-standard wads off Maximum doom and "The doom wad yellow pages", which i think was an early attempt at doing what doomworld.com/idgames is doing. After a break from dooming i came back and started editing..badly!, after another break i came back yet again, got the latest legacy and was glad to see it was even better than before (blood didnt 'hover' in the air if it splashed on a lift which then lowered), also i discovered my first great, modern wads, Securitron!, and started to edit again..slightly less badly (i now understood not to patch the iwad, and that if i wanted to upload my wad i shouldnt upload the legacy.exe)..and since then doom has always been installed, and ive always been checking doomworld and mucking about with /newstuff wads, even if my 'gaming interest' has been in Click or RPG Maker

mje said:

I second that. Very similar story, too. It's just a good, simple (yet VERY deep when attaining the finer points of play) game. And its community is such that they maintain and appreciate the game. Very cool.

Yea, although the community isnt the largest of any game, it is definetely one of the most busy communities I have ever experienced and it is definetely a great thing to be a part of it.

Cheers!

I've been a Doom addict for almost 10 years, I had to go to 2 rehab centers to stop playing long enough to type this sentence..

Doom is just one of those games that no matter how hard you try, you can never get it to fully leave you alone.

That's the doom effect. Countless members have tried to leave the community/doom and failed miserably every time.

This is true, hell I don't even leave I get BANNED and still the Arch Ville resurects me! Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to pet my rabbit and rape my granny. OHH FUCK HEN IM PURE CUMMIN AAAWWWWWUUUGHHHHH AWWW I LOVE YE I LOVE YE.

chubz said:

lol :D

Yea - but this isnt what scares me.

What scares me is the game known as "doom 3" .........

you honestly think it will be as good as Doom?

It's the only game I've played this long. My love for Doom has not decreased since I first played it.

DooM is addicting because it has infinite possibilities, online play, the most fun single play, level creating, level downloading, the best MIDI known to existence, and the best setting(s) in a game.

Excerpt from the MacMillan-Webster dictionary:

ad-dic-tive \-'dik-tiv\ adj. (1993) : DooM

Shaviro said:

That’s not doom, that’s our hidden communist propaganda.

8 years. 8 years of my life I have spent trying to avoid DooM. The longest I've succeeded in doing so was 1 year. One of the worst gaming years of my life!

mje said:

chubz - you play any online DOOM?

Nope, im personally not much into DM, dont ask why either - I just dont know why!!!

Im single-player all the way.

The thing that REALLY keeps me hooked is level-designing.

Although I do suck at it quite a bit (just ask Bloodskull!), it, as some of you have already stated, allows for an infinite number of possiblities, making the game have almost endless replayabalility.

DOOM ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!

pritch said:

you honestly think it will be as good as Doom?

Well, it wont be like the original DOOM, BUT it will likely be unique in its own way.

I will probably be hooked on it - the only thing that really worries me the most, though, is how complicated the level-designing will be, and if the community will even have many level-designers due to the complication of the editor.

I guess all I (or "we") can do is hope. :)