Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Submerge

an odd question

Would anybody here consider DOOM to be cathartic? I mean, does anybody use DOOM to get rid of all of their aggression and hate, so they are kind and gentle in real life? be honest. I KNOW as a FACT that I do.

oh, and some useless info:
I have 2 cats, one of which is PINK! isn't that strange? His name is Max, but I like to call him "Max Bastard", because his favorite pastime is to sneak up on Lance, my other cat, and club the shit out of her.

I don't. I never have. Pressing keys just didn't seem to be a good way to release any anger, no matter what they simulate.

In fact, playing games usually makes me angrier than before, you know, like when you're kicking a load of ass, then you forget to save for like 4 levels and die, it's like... F*(@## F#@)) F)@*$ $*#) A#* BI$*)@ A$)! F@**!#$!!!!!!

I'm always pretty calm until somehow the game screws me over, like I get stuck on a wall and slaughtered at a place that should be insanely easy, then I'm mad.

I'm always pretty calm until somehow the game screws me over, like I get stuck on a wall and slaughtered at a place that should be insanely easy, then I'm mad.

I feel the same.

Whether a 'violent' game makes you more calm or more aggressive is a question of personality I guess...

Whether a 'violent' game makes you more calm or more aggressive is a question of personality I guess...

Well, it's not just Doom - hell, I think I've gotten more pissed off at Tetris than I ever have at Doom :P

It's just that Doom and Heretic are pretty much the only games I play, so they're the only games I get mad at. If I played more I'm sure I'd get just as mad at the rest of them ;)

I use music to do that catharic thing you talk about. I listen to Slipknot and stuff like that. I play games like Doom, Diablo2: LoD, and listen to Slipknot while doing that. Pretty cool !

Yeah, it's music for me most of the time. Strapping Young Lad, definately. Use it to get going on a slow day too.

Playing Doom does relax me but I don't imagine people's faces on the zombies or anything. That's role playing, and by doing that you're only mentally gearing yourself up to go out and actually shoot them. It's like watching a single murder scene in a movie over and over but pretending you're the killer.

When I was a teenie bopper I used to punch walls and smoke weed. Both worked excellently. My knuckles are still discolored where the skin hasn't fully recovered. Fuck, that rhymed.

Yeah I'd have to say games don't help my anger, but at times do piss me off. Especially when I used to play EverQuest 24/7 with barely any food or sleep. I can't remember ever getting mad at Doom to often though, although I hated being crushed by those damn ceiling traps.

I love Doom! However I'm not aggressive in any way. I never ever hurt a living thing (flies and mosqitoes feel my wrath though). Heck, I never hit or kicked my sister's annoying, biting cat (which caused me to drop my old hard drive down the stairs. long story). I'm a wimp. Doom keeps me sane.

Would anybody here consider DOOM to be cathartic? I mean, does anybody use DOOM to get rid of all of their aggression and hate, so they are kind and gentle in real life? be honest. I KNOW as a FACT that I do.

yes it certainly does...I get pissed off alot and when I do I just go home and start plugging imps...it gets rid of alot of my aggression and nobody gets killed in real life in the long run...that why I get so pissed at the media for saying shit like "that kid shot a hundred innocent students 'cuz he plays violent video games" I don't get it...I've played numerous violent video games and when I'm done I don't feel like hurting anybody...

going into a slipknot pit is probably the only way i can truly release my anger...doom (as well as quake, and other games) however, help me to forget about everyday life - it's another way of escape for me...

Doom is quite relaxing. There's nothing really very stresful about just shooting your way through hordes of monsters.

Certain adventurers and RPGs on the other hand... damn it, some of those f**king puzzles can really piss me off sometimes (in a good way, of course, unless I get stuck for hours on the same thing).

Platform games can get annoying too. In fact, I bet Super Mario and Sonic have caused more violent incidents in Real Life than Doom... :)