Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AgentSpork

Direct X 9 + Windows 98 SE = Bad?

I recently installed Windows 98 SE on my computer, and, after installing Direct X 9.0b, I started noticing all sorts of horrible things happening, such as various games randomly crashing, the Direct X diagnostic tools crashing my computer, etc.

Is there something wrong with the mixture of Direct X 9 and Windows 98, or did I just do something incredibly stupid and not notice? Most importantly, is there a way to fix this problem?

Comp Specs:
CPU: Pentium 4 1.5 ghz
VIDEO: ATI Radeon 9200 128-bit AGP (Drivers Updated)
SOUND: SB-Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (Drivers Updated)
Blah blah blah...

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed the problem. This thread can be closed now.

I have Windows 98 (1st edition, actually) and DirectX 9.0b, and don't really have issues. It's Windows 98+ compatible.

Should work fine. Try reinstalling your display drivers.

AgentSpork said:

I recently installed Windows 98 SE on my computer

It does beg the question.

WHY?!?!?!?!?

pritch said:
It does beg the question.

In my opinion, only if you wish to derail the thread into an "oh, but Win (insert newer version) is better" "no" "yes" "yes, dickwad" "fuck off" thread, as opposed to one about possible DX issues in Win 98 (SE).

No, really I just wanted to know why. I ran 98se for ages but you're right I could not see why anyone might choose to run it now unless... he could just have told me x or y reason rather than have you assuming my reaction for me.

Derailing the thread isn't really an issue anyway, as his initial question had already been answered, and it hardly prevents anyone from posting on-topic if they wish too.

The ONLY reason I have 98SE (actually, a dual boot, 98SE and XP Pro) is for doom2.exe.

Fair enough, pritch.

And I didn't really mean to put it like you were trying to mess with the thread, but that such a question likely leads there, no matter the intention.

You're right about the main issue being closed when you said that... hadn't noted that till Bloodshedder posted (but then again, edits can easily go past unnoticed.)