Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Melfice

Building one's own PC rig.

It sort of occured to me today that my HP just doesn't cut it, while talking to someone who knows alot more about hardware and computers than I do. It's about 2 years old now since when I got it. Well, quite honestly, it just sucks.

So I got to thinking and realized that alot of people like to try and build their own PC's so they can customize them and whatnot. Well, I decided I wanted to do this, but I have one problem: I honestly don't know anything about computer hardware. That said, I'm looking for help. I'm wanting to put together a PC that's good enough to run video games that come out now (Doom 3 being a perfect example) but yet not going to cost me an arm and a leg. But I seem to hear from several people that you can build really good PC's yourself without spending the ammount of money that you would on a manufactured one that's just as good. I also would like try check into a cool case and neon lighting and all that other cool shit, and whatever else. It's not really a matter of money, I don't have a specific bar set on how much I want to spend, but if you want something to go buy, I'd say ~$1000 or less, if it's important in advice given.

To sum it up I'm asking for help from people here that know alot more about this than I do, which is next to nothing. Links to sites with good prices, or tutorials on putting one together, or anything on that order would be very much appreciated.

Theres no science to it really, you just whack all the different components on the board and use the manuals to put all the connectors in the right way/place.

I suggest the forums at Neowin.net, especially Hardware Hangout. Lots of good geeky people who love answering questions there. The Essential Guides section may help also.

As chilvence said, there is no science to it...unless you have giant fingers or are some kind of static magnet.

I'm wanting to put together a PC that's good enough to run video games that come out now (Doom 3 being a perfect example) but yet not going to cost me an arm and a leg. But I seem to hear from several people that you can build really good PC's yourself without spending the ammount of money that you would on a manufactured one that's just as good.

Well, I might be willing to bet the HPs and Dell companies of the world don't exactly use the best quality hardware in their machines. So, if you were to buy that shit and put it together...yeah you'll get it dirt cheap. But, you will get good hardware from reputible manufacturers...right? If so, your PC is probably going to be comparable in price if not higher...but again that all depends on what you want to buy.

check out
newegg
pricewatch