Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMFDxUconn

What system did you have your 1st Doom expierence?

The first machine I saw DooM on was a 486 SX 33 I believe. It didn't have a soundcard and had 4 MB of RAM. It was my friend's computer and we had just finished downloading the DooM episode 1 demo from a local BBS. It was version .99.

The machine I played DooM and DooM 2 on the most was my home machine, a 386 SX 33. It didn't run fast, had to be played in "low detail" mode, and the screen shrunk a couple sizes, but it ran!

I've upgraded many times since then, but a piece of that 386 still lives on even today: my floppy drive from that 386 is still alive and kicking in my Athlon 64 tower case. :-)

Jomero said:
I've upgraded many times since then, but a piece of that 386 still lives on even today: my floppy drive from that 386 is still alive and kicking in my Athlon 64 tower case. :-) [/B]

WOW!!!
And I already had like 5 or 6 different floppy drives come and go...
They kept breaking once every 2 years...

DarkJedi188 said:

WOW!!!
And I already had like 5 or 6 different floppy drives come and go...
They kept breaking once every 2 years...

Hmmm. Odd. This one's been a like a panzer tank! It could be because I rarely use it. But it still works, as I've flashed my BIOS with it just recently.

It'll be a sad day when it dies. It's quite the trooper.

-Jomero

First played the shareware on my old 486DX 66, 4 meg of ram when i was about 6.

i was 9 and i had a 133mhz 4mb ram, 800mb hard drive computer that didnt even have disk drives, ran doom as good as this highend gaming machine i got now, Damn OpenGL never gets old!

around 1993
33mhz 486
16mb ram! (huge back then)
~300 mb hd
no soundcard (it was a huge deal when i got one)

Someone said they had a pentium in 1993, but didn't the pentium not come out until later? I just remeber upgrading to a pentium 75 for quake, and while that wasn't top speed at the time, I think 166 or 200 was, and that was around 1996. I could be wrong however.

I first played doom on a then-brand-new 486 PC with windows 3.1 and 8mb memory. I was in college at the time (1993) and had been playing Wolfenstein 3d on a small 286 laptop with a monochrome screen my friend used to use to write term papers.

This "brand new" system was at the college computing center for the university (which has since been turned into administrative offices since everyone pretty much has access to a computer off campus). Someone had discovered that you could easily find a shareware version on just about every college campus, and download to the local PC via ftp, and install it. One day while I was bored writing a lab for Mechanical Engineering school I saw the guy next to me playing it. WOW - I asked him how he got that installed, and he said chances are it was already on there, so I did some searching. Sure enough it was on the system sitting in front of me.

After that it became an obsession. Me and three other guys would sneak down to the computing center, hijack 4 systems, download the shareware version off of an ftp server, install it, and kill each other all night.

No sound though, and as soon as the computing centers found out that people were using the systems to play doom they started kicking us off.

It made sense though...there were people standing in line to use computers to print their papers, and we were hogging them for playing games.

...then I managed to cobble together a 386 out of spare computer parts and an old mother board I scrounged from a friend. It had a 100 mb hard drive, 4mb of memory, and a 2mb video card that could show 256 colors. I managed to get windows 3.1 on there, but dos was the only thing that was stable aside from doom itself...

Those where the days!

I can't remember much of when I had my first Doom experience. All I remember is having it on my old computer a few years back.

I first played DOOM on my old gateway, and this was when the computer's symbol was not that cow cube, but that gold three-lined triangle thing, so it was a while ago.

Back in 1995 was when I first played DooM...

Intel Pentium Pro 133mhz
32mb ram
2gb HDD
SB AWE64 sound card (best sound card ever)
Aopen superVGA graphics accelerator

DooM was so scary back then...everytime I played, I played on "I'm too young to die" and always killed mtyself with the rocket launcher on e1m4 from the pinky at the blue key door...come to think of it, I didn't even know that there was a run key...

I finally remembered the full date(yipee), It was in 1995, I was 5 years old(15 now), on a P100 16meg with a sound blaster. If only I knew back then It had add ons and multiplayer, back then I would just sit there and play it. After a while I got tired of it, and I started playing it again about a year ago.

[EDIT]Oh, and it was Doom2, I played Doom2 first, I didn't play the first episode until(suprise) a year ago after beating doom2 and wanting to take a look at doom1. E1 is the best doom...

My fist time DooM was on a 486 DX2 66, 1M PCI GFX, 8M RAM. Quite a good one back to that time.
I think I was 14 and it should've been around late 1993/94 when I started.
I loved it from the beginning. I was quite confused, since my joystick didn't calibrate correctly, and I was running in circles without any intention, but that didn't stop the joy.
A few days later I discovered the keyboard steering and that's the way I play it til today (using mouse only when inevitable).
Oh, and how great was my joy when I discovered Pwads...

Did I mention that DooM was always the first game software that moved from an old platform to my new one?

Mogul said:

You know, when you look at that thing's specs, you really have to marvel at what they could push out of it. Take a look at the Donkey Kong Country series, for instance.

Wow.

No you don't. It didn't have to run an operating system and a few other processes behind it. So it was able to push out a bit more.

DMFDxUconn said:

Your gonna make me buy one off Ebay and proove it, arent you? lol.. i wish there was another way.

I know there was a Cyberdemon. I remember it being my favorite character, and still is. I had not played doom anywhere else other than sega 32x and never even knew other versions existed on the PC. It was all i knew about DooM, and Cyberdemon was my fav.

And if it wasnt 54, it was 50.

Wherever you are getting your info from, i'd double check its validity.

OK, I just popped out my 32x and played all the way to MAP16 just to prove it... There IS a Cyberdemon, there are only 17 maps, and the music is shit as fuck.

And Raziel, this is because of Shitty DirectX. DirectX acts as an all-purpose adaptor, because of the wide range of different combinations of hardware setups, and you need something to get the specs out of the machine and into the game. Since the developers knew the exact specs of the system, they were able to shave off a whole layer of processing by ditching DirectX entirely.

Thank you :) As far as the # of levels, yea we determined that a post or 2 ago. I was wrong about which version. The PSX version had the 50+ levels, released back in May of '97. Anyway, i dont have a 32x anymore, so thanx for proving the Cybie was graced the sega version ;) And your absolutely right, the music bit the big wazoo, but the PSX music aint too shabby, im playing that now with my daughter (see associated thread).

Any time, dude :) I have just about every other console/handheld/PC version of Doom, ask me about another :P And the PSX music is very cool: in fact, I was gonna use the MAP01 music in my Doom3 map.

EDIT: Whoa, I was just watching this commercial when a dude says, "This is not a game." I swear, I half-expected him to say "This is black disk with something egg on pictures."

My first Doom experience? You'll like this one:

I was over at the University of Wisconsin from '91 to '94 studying computer science. I am English, but for ten years my family migrated to Wisconsin to earn more money before settling back to England to buy property. I had long been a fan of id's games. Having ordered Wolf3D directly from Apogee (still have the original parcel and disks), some id Software catalogs came through advertising a new game called Doom. It was about '92 when I got the first news about it.

Anyway, I spent the time waiting for Doom to be released playing on Wolf3D registered on my brand new Athlon 386. I couldn't imagine a more absorbing gaming experience. How wrong I was...

A few weeks prior to Doom's release, after my University classes I noticed several flyers advertising the fact that they would be the first to host Doom shareware. I jumped, and told everybody I could about the event.

The event did come. December the 3rd. We were all logged onto the server, waiting anxiously. Did anything happen? No. After two hours of waiting (we couldn't chat online), I grew bored and logged out, thoroughly depressed.

Next day, new flyers were up claiming that we would be informed via BB message when the hosting would take place. Sure enough, I got a message. It would happen on December 10th. W00t!

Time dragged until that day. I couldn't concentrate at my classes. I played Wolf3D even more. I read (something unusual for me). I needed something to distract me from the excitement of playing Doom.

The day came. Night fell. Again, all the fans logged on and we couldn't speak (though I did notice that some users' names were aimed at the id guys - "you rule romero" was the guy's name). The chat channel activated, and Romero came online talking the game up. "Imagine solving an argument with your freind over an online deathmatch..." "you suck romero" became that guy's new name. I joined in and named myself "MooD".

Time passed and we grew impatient. The chat channel booted up again and Jay Wilbur came online and rather harshly told us to get off because he couldn't upload the file. We did as we were told.

Nothing happened for about 45 minutes, so we assumed all was going well and the game was being successfully uploaded. I decided to check my BB message inbox for the time being (the server was VERY slow by now) and I discovered that the file had indeed been uploaded. W00t!

What happened then? The moment I tried to log into the channel to download the file, my computer crashed. I tried and tried (it was now about 3:00am) before I almost collapsed under the strain of staying awake. I decided to call it a day.

I did manage to play Doom the following night. I got through the whole episode in just under three hours, with low detail graphics. I was in heaven. And when I play it now, I still am.

Whew! There it is - my first experience. If you guys have read Masters of Doom, you will be able to relate to that easily. I was so happy to read it and think "Wow, I was a part of that!"

Thanks for reading.

On a 386DX/40 with 8 megs of ram. I actually bought the shareware disks. I remember having to boot without TSRs to be able to play the game :)

I would have been 7 years old.

Intel 486 66MHz
8MB RAM
SB 16
15" Monitor
200-some MB HDD

The only reason I remember all that was because I still have it laying around.

386 (not sure what model, was a friends system) on 4 MB of RAM. Unfortunately, even when played in a postage stamp on low detail it only ran at only a few frames per second. Probably a lot of swapping as he was running it through Windows rather than DOS. The look of it still blew me away.

The first Doom I ever personally owned was the 32X version.

Darkhaven said:

OK, I just popped out my 32x and played all the way to MAP16 just to prove it... There IS a Cyberdemon, there are only 17 maps, and the music is shit as fuck.

Er, I don't think so. Unless he is on a difficulty higher than Hurt Me Plenty (never beat the game "properly" on anything other than that).

Darkhaven said:

Are you SURE this is the 32X version you're talking about? You're definitely not mixing it up with the Sega Saturn version? The 32X was a cart based system that plugged into the Megadrive (Genesis) and the Saturn was Sega's CD system. As I said earlier, the Saturn version had the Cyberdemon in it (it was the same as the PlayStation version).

I played the 32X version to death and there was NO cyberdemon. On any setting. Ever. He also dosen't appear in the end credits along with the other enemies (like at the end of Doom 2). There was also no Cyberdemon in the Atari Jaguar version. No Spiderdemon either.

When I was 9. That was when I first experienced Doom. It was on my own computer. My dads computer friend showed it to us. I remember my dad spending hours on LAN.

It was on a 486DX2/66MHz with 20MB system RAM. The hard drive had a capacity of 270MB and it was armed with an ISA SoundBlaster Pro. For Doom this was an ideal system and the system faired well with Rise of the Triad, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, and many other first person shooters. I even upgraded it to a 486DX4/100MHz (Intel) for Quake but it only squeaked by with an average of 12fps in 320x200x8 resolution -9fps when the action got going. Amazingly i played through both expansion packs for Quake with this configuration and had a great time in the process.

486DX2/66, like a lot of people here; I think it was the most popular PC at the time Doom was current. This would have been in my late teens, at college, preferably on the computer that faced away from the door, so I could quit if one of the lecturers came in. Keyboard control, no sound. I didn't hear the chainsaw until some time later, and it wasn't as good as the chainsaw in my mind.

In fact, nothing is as good as the chainsaw in my mind. Every time I go to the local hardware shop, I feel compelled to buy or hire a chainsaw; I have to pick one up, and it's a terrible shame that B&Q doesn't sell the real, full-size Canadian logger chainsaws, the eight-feet-long fighting versions, fifty horsepower, ripping flesh and bone, a technicolour blend of meaty goodness. It's the ultimate extension of the phallus; not only does it protrude, it penetrates, and dominates.

Cough. Things were slightly different in the UK at the time, in that a 486DX2/66 cost about a thousand pounds, and more people had Commodore Amigas or Atari STs, although Doom did a lot to change that. For a few years afterwards there were attempts to make Doom-like games for the 16-bit systems, and Amiga owners today will probably sing the praises of 'Alien Breed 3D' (the ST had 'MIDI Maze', which was a sort of 16-player Pac-Man deathmatch).

Ah, those were the days. I first played Doom 2 at university on another DX2/66, and I can just about remember playing Quake on a 486 75mhz, and being surprised that it worked (and, later on, disappointed that it wasn't more like Doom).

The same college lab had a 486DX50, and I remember reading something which suggested that Doom might have been faster on that, because it wasn't clock doubled, or something. It's odd, feeling nostalgic for a CPU, but I really liked the DX2/66. Civilisation! F19 Stealth Fighter! Godz! Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom!

In those days you could take a tram down to the BUF rally, have nine portions of fish'n'chips, see twenty-seven films and buy a hundred bottles of Corona lemonade for, like, five shillings and tuppence ha'penny.

some 386 on which doom ran slow. later a 486dx2-66 with 16 mb ram and a huge 540 mb hdd, which i thought it would never get full :p