Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DMFDxUconn

What system did you have your 1st Doom expierence?

My first doom experience was on a 486 pc,at a friends house.
After that i played the game on an atari jaguar,followed some years later by the playstation i have played doom and final doom on it.
And currently im playing doom,doomII,final doom on an pc(doom95)again,and of course with some additional sourceports,im using zdoom,legacy and doomsday at the moment.
And i still like the game,well than i am probably a DooMaddict :)

My uncle's 486, it was 1995; so I'd have been 10 at the time.
I think it was the same day I first played Wolfenstien, too.

Ooh. I'm pretty sure it was a 386DX. Definetly played it on a 486DX at one point. Eventually I got the SNES version, played that for a ridiculous amount of time and finally saved up for my own first PC in late 1995, a P100 w/8 or 16MB and a copy of Doom2.

Now I'm spacing out remeniscing on how incredible that game seemed when I was 10.

My father played Doom and he let me watch while he played. hehe that was friggin'scary , I was 9 years old back in 93. So many memories :)

when i was 7, i played it on the 32x. then after columbine, i wanted to prove a stupid point to make my parents proud, and i, uh...

...smashed the cartridge with a shovel.

then i was 13 and i got it for pc, that was my real first experience as far as i'm concerned. that was on a computer with a 266mhz cpu, 64mb ram, some agp card, a sound blaster pci 128 (i think), and win95. this was all just a couple years ago. now i play in 1152x864 with an athlon xp 2700+ :)

iamthejake2000 said:

when i was 7, i played it on the 32x. then after columbine, i wanted to prove a stupid point to make my parents proud, and i, uh...

...smashed the cartridge with a shovel.

Either way, destroying the Doom32x cart was a good idea anyhow since it's so crap :P

Well I think it was just watching a freind of mine playing it on a 486, then I hired out a 32x expansion for my megadrive and the game and thats probably when I first played it properly, but only for a few days. Then when PSX came out I got the game and played it for hours on end.

Man, you people all had pretty elite computers or started late or something. I played on a Packard Bell 25mhz with 16M RAM, usually opting for low detail mode.

December 5th, 1993. The computer was a 386, processor speed unknown to me (I was only 6, gimme a break).

The 9600-baud modem had been pulled out of its dusty nest in the closet for the night, after my father had heard of Doom. He'd downloaded Doompix.ZIP from a local BBS half a year ago, and had been subscribing to Computer Gaming World around the same time that they ran their press release article on Doom. I recalled that they had plenty of screenshots in both, and I was amazed over the photo-realistic quality of the graphics even in Doompix.

Dad typed in the familiar commands. CD\tools\procomm, procomm.exe. Procomm Plus for DOS blinked on to the screen, and Dad dialed in the phone number for his favorite shareware BBS. The modem began to screech its usual dial tones, then fell silent as the monitor scrolled past some text.

The games menu was full of all kinds of stuff that I'd seen before in the past. The filenames of all the individual sharewares bore all manner of symbols in an effort to make them stand out on top of the alphabetical listing. Then we all saw it at once - Dad, my older brother, and myself.

DOOM0_9.ZIP - Doom: Evil Unleashed, Episode 1: Knee Deep In The Dead.

"Let's download this thing. You kids get to bed," Dad told us, indicating the clock on the wall that read 9:00. "We'll all play together when you get home from school, okay?"

"Okay!" the two of us replied, then ran off to bed.

The next day rolled around, and after a rather lengthy reading lesson, I rushed home with my brother and dived into Dad's computer room. "We're ready!" I announced, staggering to my feet.

Dad's fingers rushed across the keyboard. "Doom.EXE." His finger hovered over the Enter key. "You sure you want to see this? I hear it's really scary."

"Go! Do it!"

Smack. The Doom Operating System slowly chugged through its startup routine, right down to the famous line, "Init Refresh Daemon." And we were in for the ride.

And as much as I'd like to take this literary memoir further, I'm out of ideas.

I'm surprised at the number of people who got their first DOOM experience on a console. Was PSX Doom really that good?

And my first experience was 9, when I helped get Doom v1.2 Shareware running on a friends machine that only had four megs of RAM. He gave me his disks as gratitude so I could experience it with my new 486 with SOUND BLASTER PRO!

486DX/33, 16MB RAM, 210MB hard disk, 14" monitor. I believe the graphics were S3 - believe it or not, you could overclock graphics card in 1993, I distinctly remember using a little TSR which would overclock the core on our poor little graphics card to kick the Doom framerate up a little. This was a beast of a machine for the time, cost something close to US$5,000. It could play Doom with full detail and full screen size at over 10fps...:)

the thing with the DX50 and DX2/66 - well, it's the same thing you get in hardware today, more or less. It was the start of varying bus / CPU speeds in x86 machines. The DX50 was just like all the other processors that went before it - 50MHz CPU speed, 50MHz bus. The DX2/66, however, was more like a system of today; 33MHz bus with a 2x multiplier, for a 66MHz clock speed. Bus speed was as important then as it is now, so yes, the DX50 was faster than the DX2/66 for some things. It got even more complicated when things got up to 100MHz, as there were two versions of the 100MHz 486 - one which was 50MHz*2, and one which was 33MHz*3 (though it was called the DX4 and not the DX3, I guess Intel thought 4 sounded better). Anyway. Reminiscence over...

It was a 386 SX 20 MHz with a SB Pro2 and 8 megs of Ram.

It was ultra slow, I had low details and stamp size screen.
So I gave up until I got a better computer.

AlexMax said:
I'm surprised at the number of people who got their first DOOM experience on a console. Was PSX Doom really that good?

Yup.

Oh, and: 1994, shareware, no sound, one of the early versions, you know, with out the secrete bit in the slime room in E1M1, and the swastika on E1M4? Yeah that one. I was really quite intimidated buy it. More so when I did get sound... and music.

Hmm, I think I first played doom when I was 5. My dad had gotten teh shareware and I remember just being mezmorized by the demos when no one was on....all this on a 386 64kb of mem comp with soundblaster 16

I think it was my 10th birthday when I managed to save up to by a Sega Genesis 32X. Then from there my dad happily went through all of the pawn shops in San Antonio and brought back a bunch of games for the both of us (mainly him) to play.

I would watch him play Doom and one day I got the nerve to play it. :) I soon became far better than he ever was.

I don't remember a Cybie in it but maybe I never got that far. I remember going as far as Spawning Vats but from there my memory is a little fuzzy.

Then again, I never played anything harder than Hurt Me Plenty back then. :p

Edit: If I remember correctly on the 32x version if you made it past Spawning Vats without using cheats you got the hidden Fortress of Mystery level which I could never beat.

And now that I think about it I never did see a Cybie. I remember playing the PSX version for the first time and going "What the hell is that?!".

Yeah, the console versions are missing quite a lot of the original PC games.

However, the PS version is pretty cool, custom version blending of the first and second games. Not to mention the music.

I was 14. 386 sx 33 with 4mb of ram. Had to play it with low gfx or really small screen. I think I opted for playing with the screen really small. :-/ 486 was decent improvement, where I was able to play with full screen and jerky play that was bearable, but it wasn't until my dad got a Pentium 133 I believe the clock was, that it ran super smooth and I was in heaven. Ohh.. those were the days. The Gold Age of computer gaming for me.

I was 8 when I first saw it (some guy at a family video rental store showed me the game running on his computer. Not sure what his system specs where but we were both obsessed with it). I rented it various times for my snes afterwards. Then I played it a couple times at my friends house on his pc (I'm sure his system was real good since I remember him bragging about how fast it was). Then when I was 10 I finally got around to getting a playstation and finally purchased a decent port of Doom for my playstation (I hated the fact that it wasn't a perfect translation of the pc version but the sounds and music made up for that so it ended up being very enjoyable). A little later I got Final Doom on the Playstation which I enjoyed very much especially the master levels (catwalk and such). Doom has been one of the greatest video gaming experiences for me besides Nintendo's games such as Earthbound, Zelda, and some of Mario. Also the Final Fantasy games before FFX.

I have no idea what it was. It was a Gateway in 1995 I can say that much.

Of course, I actually bought DOOM 2 first. It wasn't for about a few years that I got DOOM 1 (Ultimate) then later Final DOOM.

i was like 5, i watched my brother and his friend play and i remember they turned quickly when pinky came in the darkness and opened it's maw. it was so awesome i got to play it with my brother after that.

I remember getting the snes rom (OMG H4X!!!) and playing that for a while, not really knowing wtf was going on, but loving it all the same.
I finally remember looking at the screen with e1m1 just beginning, and thinking "damn this is dark. i cant like see anything"
thats when i started looking for the wads so i could run the pc version.
"ah, much better!"