Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shapeless

Hi Res The Latex models images

Linguica said:

Nice googly eyes on the Mancubus.

It looks like it's really stoned.

Shapeless said:

Greg Puncheaz was kind enought to send me these images.

Wow, you got in touch with da man! Well done mate! Those pics are incredible, very nice indeed.

Notice:
* Single barrel on the Spiderdemon's chaingun as opposed to the multi-barrel in other shots of the model.
* Metal "cap" on the Mancubus's head not shown in other shots.

Question, does Greg have shots of any other Doom models available? I'd be most interested in the Cyberdemon, photos of him seem to be few and far between.

This is when I'm actually glad some of the details were missing from the actual sprites. The mancubus looks really wierd.

AgentSpork said:

This is when I'm actually glad some of the details were missing from the actual sprites. The mancubus looks really wierd.

Agreed, but I'm under the impression that the models were only used as a base template for finer pixel artwork after digitization. For example, the single-barrelled chaingun would never have been used in the final game - it was just a placeholder. The same goes for the model Mancubus face.

I'll post more images when I get them from Greg. The Cyberdemon was done by one of the ider's I'm assuming Adrian Carmack. Good luck getting better images from them, cause I've already asked several times. Romero informed me that there's also a clay sculpture of the Marine. I'm guesing our green haired freind. So that would mean the Sargent is a rippoff of the former human private.

Did anyone else notice the Mancubus's arm's. Those cannons look like parts my dad usded doing electrical. :) would anyone of you buy a riplica of the Manc or spider?

The marine was made first. Then it was recolored to make the Former Human (rifle zombie). Then it was recolored again and changed aroud a bit to make the Sargaent.

Least, that's how I think it went.

Shapeless said:

would anyone of you buy a riplica of the Manc or spider?

Hell yes! Especially the Spiderdemon.

OK, for the record these are the characters in Doom which had clay/latex models made for them:
- Marine/Former Human/Former Human Sargent
- Cyberdemon
- Spider Mastermind/Arachnotron
- Baron of Hell/Hell Knight
- Mancubus
- Revenant
- Arch-Vile

And these guys were constructed purely on the PC:
- Imp
- Demon/Spectre
- Former Human Commando
- Wolfenstein SS Soldier
- Lost Soul
- Cacodemon
- Pain Elemental

Am I right?

Hm, what sort of modeling program would they have used for the digitally made ones?

Also, where do you read this? I feel sort of left out on id trivia...

Romero got back to me and said that it was in fact the Doomguy marine made in clay. so looks like the Former Human zombies are modified doomguys. you were right on the money Grimm. ;)

Greg Punchatz said he'll send me more pics if he finds them :)

Nice vericose veins on the mancubus. I'd be sorely tempted to buy the arachnotron though. Either way, keep up the model making. You could sell this stuff on ebay and say goodbye to a future with 9-5 shifts. ;)

chilvence said:

Hm, what sort of modeling program would they have used for the digitally made ones?

That's an interesting question, I assumed they just used a generic raster graphics editor to do each frame/angle of the sprite individually pixel-by-pixel. A modelling application would make more sense (it would be tedious to draw the same frame in different angles from scratch each time), but I'm not sure that kind of technology was as widely-used at the time of Doom's development as it is today.

Ah, upon closer examination of other Spiderdemon photos, it appears that the Spiderdemon's chaingun has a metal(?) circular disc with three small barrel protrusions which is attached to the end of the thick main barrel "enclosure". This must have been detached/broken off/lost when this shot was taken.

Note that the original 3-barrel design on the model were replaced with the custom 6-barrel chaingun graphic you see on the final spiderdemon sprite.

Trilinear said:

That's an interesting question, I assumed they just used a generic raster graphics editor to do each frame/angle of the sprite individually pixel-by-pixel.

That sounds like torture to me... I would have guessed at the very least they would have painted on some sort of wireframe/vector outline. Or even sketched out the basic frames on paper and scanned them, but who knows

I know they used Deluxe Paint ][ up until Quake 3... The program has been long since abandoned and you can find copies of it everywhere (there was even a copy on Legacy's site way back when).

It's a very primitive program, but still fun to play with. What's really neat is when you play around with the gradient and blurring features, because the results match up exactly with the Doom artwork style:)

Trilinear said:

Note that the original 3-barrel design on the model were replaced with the custom 6-barrel chaingun graphic you see on the final spiderdemon sprite.

You can clearly see, looking at the Doom sprites, what was added post model. The chaingun barrels all have the exact same colour count and pixels placed in the same area. It was drawn over exactly how id did all the art for Wolfenstein. The same goes for the mancubus eyes, imp eyes and lots of other touch ups that look like they were hand pixeled.