Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mivalekan

Zdoom lag

For some reason my game in Zdoom likes to lag. It runs smooth and then all of the sudden for about 3-4 seconds, it just LAGS. The light on my computer indicating that it's thinking doesn't flash, so apparently it has to do with the game, I've messed with the settings and changed stuff, but it just doesn't stop. How do I fix this?

What are your PC specs and when does the lag happen? If it's happening in complex areas of certain pwad maps obviously it could be that, but if it's happening in a regular fashion regardless of detail on the screen I'd say there's something running on your PC that might be interupting it. Go to task manager and see how many processes are running. If anything looks suspect running from your own profile (if you have one) there's a chance it might be some kind of spyware. Never hurts to have anti-spy stuff installed. It doesn't have to be that, though, bloaty things like realplayer that might be run at startup could do it I guess. Basically check that nothing's running that you don't really need or is essential to the system.

There could be a load of reasons for this, really. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling zdoom?

I don't have lag, but randomly at times it will crash for no fucking reason at all.

pritch said:

What are your PC specs and when does the lag happen? If it's happening in complex areas of certain pwad maps obviously it could be that, but if it's happening in a regular fashion regardless of detail on the screen I'd say there's something running on your PC that might be interupting it. Go to task manager and see how many processes are running. If anything looks suspect running from your own profile (if you have one) there's a chance it might be some kind of spyware. Never hurts to have anti-spy stuff installed. It doesn't have to be that, though, bloaty things like realplayer that might be run at startup could do it I guess. Basically check that nothing's running that you don't really need or is essential to the system.

There could be a load of reasons for this, really. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling zdoom?

1: Comp Specs: My processor is a 950mhz AMD Athlon and I have 512 mb RAM. (I'm pretty sure that's all you need to know :) ). I only play on 800x600 resolution. It does this basically randomly. Though it does really start to take a toll on my framerate whenever I constantly fire the plasma rifle. It starts normal but after about 3 seconds of firing it it starts to lag a lot. My taskbar is also clean, so that probably isnt it.
2: I have spybot. I do have this one spyware called DSO exploit that I can't get rid of, but the Zdoom lag has been around way before I got that 'ware.
3: Yeah I've tried reinstalling Zdoom a couple times. Never works.

What OS are you running? Does this effect ever happen with any other applications?

If you have an older OS you probably need a memory manager. In any case it could be an installed application hogging resources. Or your machine has RAM memory issues... unless your machine and ZDoom don't like each other (some sort of hardware related conflict.)

I'd move this over to Source Ports...

DSO exploit is a security hole in IE. When SpyBot attempts to change the registry to fix the exploit, it is changes back. Unfortuantly, I've been to lazy to fix it permently, but I don't use IE, so it doesn't matter

Someone said in another forum:
I finally got rid of DSO Exploit using "Spybot Search & Destroy" with the following method:

Have "Search & Destroy" look for problems the usual way and then (1) highlight one of the "Data source object exploit" items, (2) Right click the highlighted item to bring up the menu list and select "More details", (3) Now click "Jump to location", (4) You are now viewing the Registry and can use the path shown in the Search & Destroy window to get to the key shown, (5) I manually deleted each of 5 keys and no longer have it coming back. I haven't noticed any change in performance so I trust that I did no harm but I am happy not to have the d**ned thing any more.

Mivalekan said:

For some reason my game in Zdoom likes to lag. It runs smooth and then all of the sudden for about 3-4 seconds, it just LAGS.

Had a similar problem just the other day when playing ZDoom with Hexen. Make sure that your System Tray (not just Task Bar) is empty of memory/CPU-hogging programs. By this I mean things like P2P file sharing apps, automatic background defragmenting utilities, messenger apps etc... You can use MSCONFIG (use RUN in the Start Menu to start it), goto the Startup tab and uncheck any questionable entries there. Reboot, and try ZDoom again.

It may also be down to a lack of free space on the drive/partition you have your virtual memory page file stored on. Check that there's enough free space there to give Windows some elbow-room.