Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
notadoomer

what is your favorite wad editor of all time?

wadauthor for basic construction and item placement (as well as tags for teleprts and doors and stuff)

Doombuilder to texture, align textures and fiddle with floor/ceiling heights (all using the great 3D mode!!)

XWE for adding new textures and music and other bits and bobs (i never do new sounds though!)

I used to use Wad Author, but then Doom Builder came out which combined all the coolness of WA with those of my favorite game editor of all time, Build and it was leet.

So Doom Builder it is.

Back when I last made doom levels, I used DEU3.2gcc, or is it 2.3gcc? whatever... Now that I've been tinkering again I tried the old WinDEU32 but found it buggy. I tried Doombuilder and now I'm in love :D

I'd have to say DoomBuilder, although deth served me well for a long time (I made over 50 released maps in it).

DoomBuilder, even though I haven't used it THAT long. 98% of 3057hub1 was made with Wadauthor. So far DB helps me create better stuff on hub2. It's much quicker and easier.

I think it will be a long time before Dr. John Williston updates WA. If it ain't broke - don't fix it! and it worx just fine despite it's little ideosycrasies.

I would love to use DoomBuilder and give it more credit. Currently, I only use it to change mutliple textures. I didn't use it at all on my latest map because it has a nasty tendency also to alter everything for some reason, changing (exchanging really,) all my floor and ceiling heights so I spend hours unfucking what it has done to my map.

I used DETH mainly, I find pretty cool and fast, I know all shortcuts by heart.

Also wadauthor to copy paste from map to map.

Doom Builder since it's solidly compiled, I've never experienced a bug (with 1.63, Build 310), and it allows me to create what my mind's eye sees extremely fast.

The 3D mode is a literal necessity.

I used to love DETH.

I'm glad you said favorite over "best."
All editors are good if you find value in using them. What makes them best is if they fit to your style of map making.

Generally speaking I use Wadauthor, but just recently I've been messing around with DoomBuilders 3d texturing and it blew me away!
Also Doombuilders "Find And Replace" command is the best thing since sliced bread! It's just saved me about 2 hours work when I decided to renumber all my custom thing types.

For other stuff I use both Xwe and Wintex.

psyren said:
I would love to use DoomBuilder and give it more credit. Currently, I only use it to change mutliple textures. I didn't use it at all on my latest map because it has a nasty tendency also to alter everything for some reason, changing (exchanging really,) all my floor and ceiling heights so I spend hours unfucking what it has done to my map. [/B]

Bullshit (sorry).

I've used DB on 2 different maps with over 500 sectors each. It has NEVER messed with anything I didn't explicitly authorize.

What are you doing or were you doing that (you think) it screwed up?

I'm not here jerking CodeImp off. I'm here trying to help you with DB. I know that I have to turn "alter move sector ceiling height while aiming at a sidedef" off... wonder if you're accidentally having the same issue?

Wadauthor and Doomed

I got that weird problem one time too, when I made a simple map and built GL nodes for Jdoom and all the sector heights were messed up.

deepsea...is there anything it can't do?
Moving on to DB now though. Trying to figure out all the kinks and get used to it. I'm not quite willing to buy deepsea (and pay again for upgrades? buh?)
I'll still use it for any wad manipulation I can't do (well) in xwe though

WADED. Cool to read that I´m not the only one using it.
It´s actually not that good in terms of features. I´m using an old version that doesn´t even have auto-aligning but the reason I´m using it is that I´ve been using it ever since. Whenever I fire up another editor, I don´t know how to use it because the menus are so different. Also, most editors (like newer versions of WADED) are sector based and I ABSOLUTELY DON`T CHECK IT OUT HOW TO USE THIS! I need control over every single line when defining a new sector!!!

Hellmaker 1.2b2 has served me well over the years, although it definitely shows its age. I'm eager for the Darwine project to get further along the development process so I'll be able to have fun with Doom Builder and other nice things. :D

Thanks Tolwyn. I think CodeImp was the one who helped me with this when I was complaining in another thread somewhere. I was using Legacy to run maps after making changes, and it seems that program stays open and keeps running for some time after the launcher is closed. (sometimes I didn't even close the launcher.)

Now that I do the CTRL-ALT-DEL thing to make sure it has stopped running first before opening DoomBuilder, I haven't had that problem once.

Still, what you said seemed exactly what was happening. It was just exchanging floor and ceiling heights all over the area I was working in. Not arbitrary heights. Ones I had made, but for an entirely distant sector, so I will need to look into that more.