Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

Proposal -- Doomworld DM demo center

There have always been a huge amount of places to find great Quake/II/III demos. But in DOOM, likely because there wasn't a huge online sport-like following at the time of its release, it's hard to find great demos.

Even now with source ports, and utilities like ZD and Skulltag, you still have to go on the hunt for deathmatch demos.

I realize that doom2.net has several, but considering that most DOOM players play source ports for deathmatch, that simply shouldn't be the only place around to find great dm demos (because all of them are for doom2.exe).

I also realize a couple of players have their own sites for demos, but this is unsatisfactory even STILL, because they're showcasing only one player, and they're all for ZDaemon exclusively, instead of including other ports.

So - my proposal is that Doomworld open a section of the site for downloading deatchmatch demos.

They could be categorized by port (including doom/2.exe).

This would promote awareness of the coolness of deathmatch and potentially raise the skill of the deathmatch community, as they would have a far easier time getting a Hi Jango (for instance) demo here, and watching it on ZD than they would trying to figure out how to play a doom2.exe demo that was recorded before they even heard of DOOM.

Furthermore, uploading could be handled the same way /newstuff is handled, probably, and a single person could take care of the responsibility (i.e. me or Opulent, etc).

Discuss.

I didn't go through all those demos, but it would appear that they are all doom/2.exe demos. Where are the ZDaemon demos? Or jDoom demos? This is why it is important for such a feature to be added to Doomworld.

This feature would essentially CENTRALIZE a place to get deathmatch demos, and make it very, very easy to find them.

With the rising popularity of ZDaemon (for instance) and DOOM 3 coming out, more and more people are discovering Doomworld. The deathmatch demos section of the site would be an incredible conveinience to anyone that wanted demos to watch.

I feel very strongly about this. The education and awareness this could bring is potentially very big.

http://www.doomworld.com/sda/x7.htm
most players don't care about recording.
in fact, I'm not sure most ports have record capabilities for dm... but I wish someone would prove me wrong.
There have been a few sparse Legacy dm demos and zdoom/zdaemon demos out there. NONE anyhere near the excellent quality of the real game dm demos.
Doom2.net is the only place for DOOM dm.
btw, this demos forum is for ALL doom-engine games, dm or sp, doom.exe or zdaemon... anything... so if you do find some (or record some) they are more than welcome here.
edit: I share your enthusiasm. :) would be too cool to have a great deal of demos here... shoot, just one AndrewB demo could satiate us for a week.
this is old, but since you kind of brought it up: http://members.cox.net/opulent/o/index.htm

You could ask Carnevil, Fodders, and the zdaemon regulars if they ever record or have some demos to share.... many Compet-N players play dm as well, so perhaps they record sometimes?? (one would think)
You never know what they might say...

I've got some Hi Jango demos that are pretty good, from ZDaemon. Two against Jkist3, one of him beating Ocelot (from Oce's view) and one of hiim completely creaming badfish.

I still feel strongly about this. As I mentioned, centralization for accesable dm demos is important, in my opinion. I think a lot more people (at least new players) would be more willing to come to the site and get some ZD demos and out em in their demos directory and watch them than they would going to doom2.net (and don't get me wrong - BahdKo and I are very good friends, we talk daily), download lmps, discover they can't use doom2.exe, come here and find out they need prBoom or eternity, downloading one of them, figuring out how to play the demo with command lines, and all of that.

Accessability of demos (being able to find them easily and being able to play them with ease) is something I think is important. Please, please consider this. I think Doomworld is the perfect place to centralize the demos. It has a very streamlined, good design. It looks nice and clean, and it has thousands of people in traffic. These are features that other sites (especially demo sites) simply do not have.

Honestly, I wouldn't post this many times or type this much if I didn't feel it was important.

I'd love to see those demos you mentioned.
opulent@cox.net if you are feeling generous.
as for the site, I think everyone here is for it... but we need content to start the site. I'll do you a semi-pretty CSS site if you find some content to put in it. :)

Done. Check your mail in a few minutes.

EDIT - exceeded space available in your inbox, apparently. (.zdos can be a few megs each)

I'll send the one vs. Badfish and we can go from there. :)
edit: received! thank you!

To let everyone know --

Everything's going well. Project is well underway.

UPDATE --

Site contruction has begun, and a decent wealth of quality demos has been collected.

You guys are going to like this, I think. :)

Here's just some of the stuff you can expect to see --

Demos from:

Hi Jango -- one of those guys that you simply won't beat unless you're Ocelot or someone of similar quality.

Ocelot -- You will NOT beat this guy, unless you're one of the two or three people of such skill. :)

Spinal (Spine2x) - an extremely talented oldschool player.

And many, MANY more. I've been talking with these guys and others, trying to get some of the best ZDaemon demos ever recorded, and I've got some of them right now. More will follow, of course, but I don't think too many people will be saddened by the 20+ quality ones we've got ready at the moment. :)