Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Problems with ZDoom

here's a list of problems

1. ZDoom does not make smashing gib sprites (Example:when a body gets smashed by a object the body simiply dissappears instead of making a gib sprite)

2. Lack of Overlaping sounds (example: when I pick up more than 1 item at the same time it has a one dimensional sound instead of making overlapping sounds)

I hope there's a new ZDoom port that fixes those bugs in a near future.

Nightmare Doom said:
here's a list of problems

1. ZDoom does not make smashing gib sprites (Example:when a body gets smashed by a object the body simiply dissappears instead of making a gib sprite)

That's a known bug that has been fixed for the next version.

2. Lack of Overlaping sounds (example: when I pick up more than 1 item at the same time it has a one dimensional sound instead of making overlapping sounds)

That's not a bug. It is fully intentional that there is only one channel for pickup sounds. Otherwise there could be massive problems with sound clipping when too many items are picked up simultaneously. AFAIK no source port does have multiple pickup sounds.

I hope there's a new ZDoom port that fixes those bugs in a near future.

We are all waiting for the next version. In the meantime visit zdoom.org where bug reports have a chance of being read by the one person who can do something about it.

I just started playing with ZDoom and I noticed something different. In my latest map I have several Pain Elementals set to teleport in when a switch is triggered. I know where and when they come, so I am waiting to blast them with the plasma rifle. I do this in JDoom or Legacy and they always launch a few Lost Souls before they die, but not in ZDoom. Anyone know why this is?

In the ingame menu, choose "options" and then "compatibility options". Note also that the limit in the original game is 21 lost souls - in Zdoom it is 20. :/

Grazza said:

Note also that the limit in the original game is 21 lost souls - in Zdoom it is 20. :/

What the heck? I always thought there was no limit in doom2.exe. Why did the ZDoom makers an option for the sake of 1 lost soul? Or is the Zdoom limit infinite without the comp option on?

If you play map 09 on UV you'll notice that the pain elementals near the start don't fire anything - that's the limit kicking in. I think the compat options are on by default in ZDoom, but turn them off and you'll have no limit on them.

Regarding number 2: I believe that can be adjusted in SNDINFO to a degree. At least, I think I remember something like that. If sound clipping can't be adjusted in SNDINFO, it should be made so. :D

Deathmatcher said:

What the heck? I always thought there was no limit in doom2.exe. Why did the ZDoom makers an option for the sake of 1 lost soul? Or is the Zdoom limit infinite without the comp option on?

There is a limit in Doom2.exe. Pain elementals will not produce lost souls if there are already more than 20 of them in the map. I think the default option in Zdoom is to have no limit (just tested 2.0.63a - all compat options were "no" when I put everything into an empty folder with no config files for it to refer to). The compatibility option to restore the limit was, I think, introduced relatively recently (you can check the changelogs if you really want to know when...), and I presume the fact that it is out by one is just an error. Report it as a bug if you feel like.

In map09, it depends what skill level you play on. On UV, there are 33 lost souls in the map to start with, so the PEs won't produce any lost souls until you have killed 13 of them. On HMP there are 18 lost souls, so they can produce 3 new ones until they hit the limit. (I forget how many there are on skill 2.) See the start of HR map19 for an(other?) example of the limit being put to deliberate use.