Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trilinear

The end of E1M8 - theories

I don't like monkeys...

...lol...

I thought maybe the switch at the end of the level just blew up the level while you went to the next, but that couldn't be right.

Hmm, wacky... what a lame way to post. This isn't the DOOM 3 Forums, so don't ruin the thread just because of spoilers related to it. I'd rather see DOOM 3's whole source code than an annoying blank page.

DarkJedi188 said:

Pffft...Oh well...Whatever map Darkhaven is going to use as E1M1 for our DOOM:Odyssey of Oblivion project will surely be better than the E1M1 of the alpha. I'm convinced of it.

The map is completely done, except for object placement ;)

And myk:

What if the monkeys crawled into his ass so you couldn't see them, and when the level is over he shits them out and the carry him to the next map, where he eats them and shits them back out at the end of that map?

I also always imagined that you simply walk across the landscape to the next facility, after having cleared out the current one. The ending switch is maybe an elevator that takes you to the surface of Phobos/Deimos.

That's pretty logical...

Yeah, the blow up the level thing worked for Duke Nukem, but it doesn't seem right in Doom for some reason.

myk said:

I don't recall the monkeys in Duke Nukem 3D...

in land of babes, they would throw crap at you. Though they only showed up twice.

How come episode 4 of Doom and Doom 2's interpic is just those...things...and not landscape?

Bashe said:

How come episode 4 of Doom and Doom 2's interpic is just those...things...and not landscape?

Because Episode 4 was just an extra addon so id could sell Doom retail instead of solely mail-order. Basically it was just a few extra levels as a bonus, so obviously not a lot of work went into any flash intermission GFX (like the original 3 episodes). Surprised that they had a new end screen though - that was cool (though the Daisy thing sucked).

Doom II also didn't have unique intermission graphics, another reason why I don't really like it.

Trilinear said:

Surprised that they had a new end screen though - that was cool (though the Daisy thing sucked).

Not exactly... it's the same city shown at the end of Episode 3, but with the (ugly) marine instead of the impaled rabbit.

Doom II also didn't have unique intermission graphics, another reason why I don't really like it.

Not unique how?

myk said:

it's the same city shown at the end of Episode 3

That's obvious.

myk said:

Not unique how?

They use the Ultimate Doom intermission screen for the end of every level.

It's the other way around... Episode 4 uses a gray scaled version of the DOOM II intermission.

Heh, didnt realize trent reznor was paying tribute to doom when he named a song "the only way out is through."

Perhaps it was subliminal

Bringing this topic back to life after almost a year! Anyways, I have one question, how did Deimos get to where is was floating above Hell? It is a moon of Mars, so how did it get from outerspace to Hell? Also, I wonder if anybody has thought of the Doom Bible as an answer to the end of Episode One. If you remember, originally, they planned on having multiple different people you could play as and there's a guy named Dacote (which stands for Dies At Conclusion Of The Episode). Maybe originally, Episode One was going to be his Episode and he was going to die and then Episode Two was going to be started with another person. Maybe they were going this way and were far into it when they decided to just keep it as one person and do the best they could to transit the story line to just one person.

mkfanatic said:

Bringing this topic back to life after almost a year!

You do realize that bumping very old threads is something to be avoided in general, right?

mkfanatic said:

Also, I wonder if anybody has thought of the Doom Bible as an answer to the end of Episode One. If you remember, originally, they planned on having multiple different people you could play as and there's a guy named Dacote (which stands for Dies At Conclusion Of The Episode).

Yes, this has been suggested.