Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elbryan42

doom 64 enemy sprites

this winter, if i can get a hold of my friend's n64 again, i might take on the challenge of ripping the sprites from doom 64. since i have a capture card, the only problems i'll probably have is the editing of the pictures. anyone else wanna help? i know it's months away, but if someone else has the cartridge, an n64, a tv card and some free time, this would kick ass with the weapons and items sprites already out.

Find the rom, then some tools to rip info then when your done rid of the rom unless you own the game (which you dont).

btw, how does the rom hacker software work? can you rip the sprites straight from the game? or would it be just as easy/hard to take screenshots and edit them with photoshop?

if the rom hacker makes it that easy to rip sprites, it'll be much less work, and i can start on it right away (with all of my extra time at school). can i get a link to a good rom hacker program (if there is one)?

Okay...

Rom extraction programs DO exist. There are plenty out there, though I have yet to succeed in ripping Doom64 graphics. I have no clue what format they're stored in. Elbryan, if you can figure out the format, you'd be able to rip non-texture-blended sprites.

Doom64's sprites SHOULD be easy to rip, once the format is discovered. They're just 2d graphics.

As for programs, a whole buttload of them exist. Download a few from http://www.zophar.net/utilities/n64util.html and let me know how well they work for you. I've had problems using most.

DooM64 sprites are probably RAW files in some way or another. I wanna see you people getting the pallette for that...

I already tried that a while back but I hit some major snags.

#1 I was not able to directly rip the sounds from the rom with any ripping program.

#2 I was not able to rip the graphics either. They must be in some sort of compressed format within the rom because I looked at the whole fucking rom as a raw bitmap in several formats and saw nothing... nothing that could even remotely be considered a game graphic.

#3 Even if I was able to rip out the graphics, in their correct palletes no less... what source port are you going to use to keep them intact?

the easiest way to rip sprites from doom 64 (at least the enemy ones) is to beat the game. The Ending plays the same way in doom 64 as it does in doom 2 except that you can rotate the enemy sprites in all directions. Worst comes to worst, you just download ultra hle and get one of the glide wrappers and cheat your way to the end. Keep taking screenshots and bam, you've got about 90 percent of the demons right there. The only enemy you can't get though this is the mother demon. But that shouldn't be extremely hard considering she has 2 walking frames and the same 3 firing frames for all attacks.

cool! i didn't realize you could rotate them in doom 64. that'll make it MUCH easier than going thru the looking for the enemies with the right lighting, nothing in the way, etc.

Hey deadnail, I managed to rip TWO music tracks from Doom64. I have the hex addresses written down somewhere. If I find them, I'll give them to you. Suffice to say, ripping the Doom64 music is possible. As for the sprites, I agree with you. They must be in some freaky compressed format.

The palette info should be easy to get. I'll try to extract it when I have some free time.

Hey cool. Keep up the good work, soldier. If Midway/Raster had any fucking sense they would've released a PC version by now.

i can live with the tracks i ripped except for one. i think it's level 14, the track completely cuts out and doesn't repeat.

besides, i took out some LOOOONG pauses and shortened some tracks that literally went on for 15 minutes playing the same part over and over (example: level 3 goes on for at least 40 minutes of the same "jaws" sounding thing). it never starts over.

hehehe... cool... my posts are 1111.