Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

Types of text files

This is just a quick poll. Recently I've been making a couple of Legacy levels for a certain wad... and they include subtle amounts of Fragglescript, so I had to open my .fs files somehow. They're a bit tedious to get to, though, unless I had a bunch of shortcuts to them. So I decided to make a little program that would open most text-based file types that Doom uses in one way or another (by calling Notepad, at this point). I'm sure there are several different types... .lmp, obviously, and I also included an option for .txt. But what, if any, other text file types are commonly used by Doomers?

".o," ".dmo(IIRC)," ".acs," ".edf," ".RTS," and ".ddf," I believe. .O files are compiled ACS scripts, if .DMO is there, it would be demos, .ACS is raw text scripts before they're run through ACC, .EDF is some form of definition file, .RTS is EDGE's radius trigger scripts format, and .DDF is EDGE's Doom Definition Files.

Oh, wait, nobody uses EDGE, sorry.

Do a lot of people use .o/.acs files? I haven't started on ACS scripting yet, but I know that some programs (Doom Builder, WadAuthor I think) can open and compile them while editing the wad, so that leads me to doubt how often you actually see that kind of file outside of a .wad. But I'm probably wrong. :P Anyway, Deh is definitely one I should add (probably include .bex in that filter as well)...

But I should also mention that the program will save up to three user-defined filters, so there'll be some flexibility (haven't done this yet though). All it really is, is just one of those "open" screens with the drive, directory, and file lists... and the dropdown list containing the filters.

netnomad312 said:

Do a lot of people use .o/.acs files?

Yes, all (or most) people I know use WadAuthor, and they are required to compile their scripts externally to a .O file.

netnomad312 said:

So I decided to make a little program that would open most text-based file types that Doom uses in one way or another (by calling Notepad, at this point). I'm sure there are several different types... .lmp, obviously

I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at here, but .lmp demo files can't be edited directly in a text editor. You need to use LMPC to convert them to and from text format.

.deh files aren't necessarily text files - there are also binary deh patches, which can be converted to text format using dehacked.exe.

Yay, 5000 posts, er, again. Heh.

But the binary DEH patches are very old, and not used anymore.
ACC outputs the files (bla.o) in binary format too, you can't really edit them with a text editor then.

I don't really see the point in such an editor, since you can tell windows to open any file with a special extension with any program you want.

netnomad312 said:
So I decided to make a little program that would open most text-based file types that Doom uses in one way or another (by calling Notepad, at this point).

Why didn't you just tell Windows to open them with Notepad or Wordpad directly?

Grazza said:
I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at here, but .lmp demo files can't be edited directly in a text editor. You need to use LMPC to convert them to and from text format.

But not all LMPs are demos; I personally have the LMP extension mapped to Notepad for editing convenience.