Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

Help my project, blah-de-blah....

Yeah, you may Newproject me for this if you like, but it's not really a new project...

I want some help with Murderous Intent 2.

I've recently played what I have, and I've decided that it's good. VERY good. So, to get it finished, I'm recruiting: I want mappers.

Wanna help?

Well, some details about the project;
It's a sequel to Intent, but with all-new textures (Most done by me, courtesy of Photoshop filter abuse) and music, a few new sounds, and the same gameplay, but refined - and I *mean* refined.

Unlike the first, I planned to use Boom features (And nothing more, for compatibility's sakes - so as many people can play it as possible) to make the atmosphere more complete; it's still stylistically along the Darkening/Quake 2/Dirty Tech Bases(tm) theme, but more focused, thanks to the textures. And what I put together as yet is quite detailed, but not so much that it gets in the way.

There were some screens at http://www.doomworld.com/unholy/games_mi2screens.shtml (Note: It seems from looking at this, that Ebola disappeared when I took a temporary hiatus. Weird :D), which I'll describe, so any prospective mappers can get a feel for what I'm trying to do with this.

1st shot; Map01. This was the FIRST area I actually made for Intent 2, to test the new textures. It's a "homage" to a certain section of Quake2's first level; a clear statement of Intent (Pun intended).

2nd shot; Final area of Map03 - the highest numbered completed map. I wanted to take Intent2 slightly back to the roots of gaming, so each level has a "boss"-esque setpiece, which this is an example of. Take a look at what's sniping at you in this area: All you have to hide behind is the previous area, which makes firing at the enemies harder -- I played around with the player's ability to manoeuvre in space here.

3rd shot; Map02. An outdoor fight. The only real thing of note here is that I've included the oft-seen "nightmare" imp (Imp Spectre) which can be seen closeup on the right, if you look. These make new noises, so you can differentiate between them and normal Imps when they ambush you.

4th shot; Same area as above, different viewpoint. I love my Cacodemon fights. This shot shows the amount of extra detail from the first Intent that has gone into these maps; it's the same general theme as MI's Map02, but more refined (Which is the main theme here; improvement in every way).

5th shot; Same area again, but more of the fight. This shows a couple of seperate fights going off between monsters, if you look.

6th shot; End of Map01. You can't see in the shot the blurred effect on the black end-of-level "gate", but it's there (My own effect, yay!). This area is host to the first "boss" encounter -- it's not too hard, but a lot of fun, in the usual Intent manner.

7th shot; Fighting a HellKnight in Map02.

8th shot; Fighting in the corridors of Map01. Note the amount of space in this shot; it's corridors again, like the majority of Intent, but there's more room to dodge around in; I've taken great care to make sure the maps "flow" better. And they still look good; in fact the ceilings and floors are much better than the sparse ones in Intent.

9th shot; First part of Map02. A clever section. For the first fight, there are a bunch of soldiers (Gunners, Shotgunners, Chaingunners) and a couple of HellKnights... and two areas in which to fight them, a narrow corridor with little room for error, and an open area, which provides some cover, but has Imps from afar (Seen on the left) sniping at you, making your task harder. I've tried to "choreograph" such fights a lot better for this sequel -- a lot of thought has gone into the enemy placement.

10th shot; Another Map02 fight. Note the Imp Spectre corpses on the floor. This just looks cool.

11th shot; Map02. There's a teleporter to the left - don't they look cool? This is a nice section, where I mess around with the flow of the level, trapping the player in a "box" for a while, full of Gunners, with Imps firing in through the windows, until the bars open and give access to the teleporter out.

Moreover, the project contains;
- Ambient sounds (All BOOM compatibles, remember. Hell, these would work with vanilla)
- All new music
- Easter eggs (There's one per map as yet)
- New textures
- New colormaps (Underwater scenes look good as a result)
- DM and co-op support (With extra monsters for co-op)

Seriously, if I haven't pimped it enough; Intent 2 is good. Very good. It *needs* to come out. So, even though _I'm_ back into mapping again, I'm asking for help to get this done. Interested? Drop me a line (I'm Jayextee, at Yahoo dot Com) with the word "DooM" in the title, so I know you're not trying to sell me neckties (I've got enough) or something, with a link to some of your stuff (Or, hell, an attached .wad) and we'll see -- I'll send prospective mappers the resource .wad containing textures and stuff, the .deh file for the new stuff and anything else.

And anybody who's offered help in the past -- you're still welcome.

The project looks too good to pass up, but I'm up to my ears with DooM- and non-DooM-related stuff, so I won't volunteer. However, I did want to mention that the screeshots look fine, especially with the new textures and skies. [I realize it's a BooM-compatible wad, but perhaps you could have taken the screens using a higher resolution?]

Good luck with recruiting and with the project.

I might be able to help with mapping, however I'm working on a 8 level zdoom pack of my own right now so I'm busy with that. However I could probably make some time for other wads.

mje said:

I might be interested in having a crack at the music.

Sorry, but that's the one thing that's going to be easier than anything; I can write a fitting tune in about a hundredth of the time it takes me to make a map, so I've got that area covered. I've already got about twenty tunes, which I'm going to cull and remix until I'm happy with seven of them. Thanks for the offer, anyway.

ReX said:

The project looks too good to pass up

Off of one of my (Admittedly many) main mapping influences, that's quite the compliment, thanks!

Bloodskull said:

I might be able to help with mapping, however I'm working on a 8 level zdoom pack of my own right now so I'm busy with that. However I could probably make some time for other wads.

Yeah, uhm, I'm new back here (An old member, returned) -- can you direct me to screens or whatever? Thanks ;)

And if you're too busy, even at least one map would help -- I'm only aiming for seven maps, but a combination of my own exacting standards (When relating to my own work) and Real Life(tm) stuff kinda makes it a long, arduous process, so I need the help regardless... Plus the fact that I'm doing the music and everything else.

Are you confident with tech base styles? That's the important thing. Ah heck, just post an URL already! ;)

Well my map pack is all tech maps really, and it's bringing somewhat of a descent feeling to it(blow up the reactor, escape before the base explodes). Um if you check on wip you'll find the wad Flight Assault on it. That's my project I'm working on.

No, you help my project.

WIP, BTW.

Oh, and hi, haven't seen you for a while :P

Lüt said:

Oh, and hi, haven't seen you for a while.

The same might be said of you, Stevie.

Btw, whatever happened to a little something I vaguely remember was called .... Millinery? .... Million? .... Millenarian? .... aaah, I think you know what I'm talking about ;)

Jayextee said:

Are you confident with tech base styles? That's the important thing. Ah heck, just post an URL already! ;)

He will lead you astray.

Lüt said:

No, you help my project.

And which one would that be, by the way ;)

What do you need? As I recall, I gave a little feedback with Mwhateveritiscauseweallforgot (:p) but then Real Life Stuff (tm) got the better of me. Which is more or less all sorted now. I could probably give a little help, but I don't wanna take on far too much; I'm still off work with stress, so I don't want to rock the boat that much.

And Bloodskull; Yeah, your stuff looks cool. How would you feel about using a custom texture set for a darker feel? The "blow-the-reactor-and-escape" theme was one I toyed with using on one of the Intent2 levels, if you wanna do one -- I've even got some music for the theme. Anyways, I gotta finish (I need another animated flat and colormap for blood pools) clean up the resource.wad and send it to you if you like, with the three finished levels for you to get a feel for the project.

ReX: How about just one map, puh-leeeease? The Intent maps are, in general shorter than the average map anyway, and it'd be so great, once I get the resource.wad ready (As mentioned) -- and I'll see what I can do in way of reciprocation.

Jayextee said:

ReX: How about just one map, puh-leeeease?

Just noticed this request. Right now I'm working like a dog to complete Phobos Revisited, with the toughest two maps (E1M6 and E1M7) remaining. Plus I'm committed to four maps on two other projects, but there's not an immediate deadline for those. So, depending on your time frame for releasing MI2 I might have some time, but I'm gun-shy about biting off more than I can chew.

ReX said:

So, depending on your time frame for releasing MI2 I might have some time, but I'm gun-shy about biting off more than I can chew.

Yeah, word to that ;)

It's no problem. I've got no deadline for Mi2, which is a good thing when you take into account my (lack of) mapping speed these days... (Note: Does anyone else get this? I tend to walk around my map for twenty minutes to my every one minute of editing; I'm so impressed with my stuff these days... :D) But anyway, any help is appreciated, and might even take the project up past seven maps... I'm working on MAP04 (About 25-30% done I should guess) at the moment, but anyone who's interested (WHEN I get the resource.wad done... I need some more textures for the easter eggs, and maybe some more computer screens or switches something. Plus I got to update the ANIMATED lump... blah de blah... heh) should drop me a line so I can send them the resource .wad (Plus a level or two, so they can get a feel for what's done already.)

[In general here] I'm not asking for testers yet, but if you wanna do so when the time comes, play the first Murderous Intent and bullet-point list all you liked and disliked about it to start with (I gotta improve, right?) and that'll set you up for the second...

Heh, I'm seriously thinking about keeping y'all posted about this regularly, if anyone's interested -- I'm well at work on it now.