Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

Doom 3 requirements here! PC Gamer's opinions:

"
System Requirements:

Keep in mind the issue has an entire article dedicated to system requirements questions.

PC Gamer recommends:
2Ghz CPU
512 MB ram
Radeon 9800
5-channel audio

Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX (worse than Geforce 3)
Supported cards:
GF 4 MX
GF 3
GF 4
GF FX (and higher)
ATI 8500s, 9000s and higher "

From this link:
http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8150476

This should clear up those whiney posts about "WILL MY PC RUN DOOM 3?" "IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH TO RUN DOOM 3?"

There you have it - you had might as well call this official - the guy on the link even has a scan of the COVER of the mag, and I can tell you right now that there is about a 0% chance that this is a fake.

Its here...well, almost...but VERY VERY close..

chubz said:

This should clear up those whiney posts about "WILL MY PC RUN DOOM 3?" "IS THIS GOOD ENOUGH TO RUN DOOM 3?"

Sorry, but it won't. Because a lower spec system, say, a 1.7Ghz with 256MB RAM (my friends PC :P) will still run the game. Those specs you posted are just one reviewers opinion of a good solid spec to run the game with.

AirRaid said:

Sorry, but it won't. Because a lower spec system, say, a 1.7Ghz with 256MB RAM (my friends PC :P) will still run the game. Those specs you posted are just one reviewers opinion of a good solid spec to run the game with.

Uh oh....NOOOOOOOOO =)

Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX (worse than Geforce 3)

Yes! I have a geforce 4 MX 420 card! but why is it worse than geforce 3?

Skeletor said:

The radeon 9000 is worse then the 8500
the geforce fx 5900 non-pro is worse then the 5700 pro
the geforce 5200 is worse then the geforce 4 ti 4200
etc...etc...etc...etc

The geforce 4 mx series are slightly faster versions of the geforce 2. The geforce 4 ti 4200-4800 are enhanced versions of the geforce 3.

Well, it seems that I'll never be able to play the game... fuck.

Edit: ok, probably in some years... even so..... fuck.

Also, IIRC the Radeon 9700 (which I have) is worse than the 9600, though the 9800 is better than both. Confusing, isn't it? :(

It would make far more sense if the higher the number, the better the card. Unfortunately, however, it seems the makers of graphic cards have started taking lessons from mobile phone manufacturers.

NiGHTMARE said:

Also, IIRC the Radeon 9700 (which I have) is worse than the 9600, though the 9800 is better than both.

Not "worse". The 9700 is still clocked faster than the 9600 even though it's an earlier generation of hardware.

My new computer has a Geforce 6800, 256 mb. I wonder if that will be okay....

..hahaha

Yay ! Let's post specs !

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with Hyperthreading nubbits in it
512 MB RAM of some kind
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (w0000t)

I can live with 800x600. Can you ?

Glad I got that 9800 Pro 256mb a while back. Everything else is above the recommended specs for me. Too bad I can't play it while in Japan...unless I can get it to work on my GeForce2Go 16mb....(LMAO)

Edit:
Desktop -
1GB Kingston DDR400
80gb 7200rpm Seagate
120gb 7200rpm Western Digital 8MB cach special edition
Dual 3.2gHz P4
SB Audigy
Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
Alienware case

laptop-
1.1gHz P3
30gb 5200rpm HD (20gb partition for Windows)
512mb Ram
16mb GeForce2Go
Some pretty nice Yamaha sound card.
b0rk3d CD-Rom

DJ_Haruko:

Technically you can't have dual Pentium 4s. You can have dual Xeons, but something tells me that you didn't buy that from Alienware. ;)

Uh, actually technically you can...you know that wondrous tech called Hyper-threading? yeah...that, it's not two physical processors but windows see's it as 2, trust me on this, since I'm sitting at a machine with it.

Skeletor said:

Because the Geforce4 MX series are nothing but rehashed Gf-2 technology-cards...upgrade FAST, even though it is supported, it will run the game like shit in a microwave....very stinky, and moving REALLY SLOWWWWWW-LIKKEEEEEE

Im glad I got my 256MB radeon 9800 pro as well, and ppl said no game will use it...bah, I knew Doom3 will!!

Intel17 said:

Im glad I got my 256MB radeon 9800 pro as well, and ppl said no game will use it...bah, I knew Doom3 will!!

No, actually it wont.....

The 256mb of RAM in the card wont really make ANY difference to tell you the truth, BUT it WILL run the game as good as a 9800 PRO 128mb, which is supposedly great since it was listed as PC Gamer's "recommended requirements"

:)

But.....does anyone think ATI cards will STILL run the game like utter shit after seeing those older tomshardware.com benchies ?

=(

chubz said:

But.....does anyone think ATI cards will STILL run the game like utter shit after seeing those older tomshardware.com benchies ?

=(

The tomshardware benchies hardly had the ati cards "running like shit"
Granted, the Nvidia cards were faster, but that was because of several reasons.

1. Nvidia is generally faster at opengl then ati.
2. Nvidia cards have Ultrashadow, a great marketing term, although doom 3 is the only game to really benefit from it.
3. Nvidia has likely had up-to-date versions of doom 3 to optimize drivers for, while the same thing may not be said about ati(for obvious reasons).

linkage : ULTRASHADOW
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-03.html

linkage : Doom 3 benchmarks
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-11.html

Can someone tell me if an Emachine windows XP home edition with a pentium 3 will work?

ChubZ,
256MB cards can use uncompressed normal maps, while 128mb cards cant. 512mb cards can use uncompressed normal, specular, and diffuse maps.

So yes Doom3 will in fact, use 256MB card and the game in order to run at full quality needs 512mb of Vram.

Skeletor said:

because the performance is worse than a geforce 3
a geforce 4 mx is basically a Geforce 2 card with abilities that a geforce 4 ti could do

as myself i always tell everyone who asks to stay away from the mx series
yes its a cheaper option but the price difference is not worth it, especially when you can get a geforce 3 that does a better job...

Lord FlatHead said:

I can live with 800x600. Can you ?

I can live with 640x480 if it's a choice between that and not playing the game.

tkmaster said:

a geforce 4 mx is basically a Geforce 2 card with abilities that a geforce 4 ti could do

Er... no. It's the fact that it DOESN'T have the features of the GF4 Ti that likens it to the GeForce 2 family. Namely, Pixel Shaders.

(woops double post)

Dr.Doom said:

Can someone tell me if an Emachine windows XP home edition with a pentium 3 will work?

Ha, no. Even though there are many variations of the system's setup, they all pretty much are just basic computers. The one I am using right now will not be able to run it.

chopkinsca said:

Ha, no. Even though there are many variations of the system's setup, they all pretty much are just basic computers. The one I am using right now will not be able to run it.

actually it may be able to handle it with the settings very low

EDIT: Shit, you can't delete posts? Ignore this, I posted my specs in the appropriate thread...