Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holy Thunderforce

Was gibbed by the rocket launcher

Well,so many times,while i'm playing a deathmatch game,and use a ROCKET LAUNCHER to kill my oponent,when i shoot a rocket in my enemie,and the rocket explode in he,he explode and appear a mesage
"(my oponent) was GIBBED by (i)"

Well,it's a cool efect when you die,and i want to know,what a really need to make,or where a should shoot exactly,to make that my oponent dies in that way.

THANKS

-SORRY MY BAD ENGLISH-

If I remember right, to gib something, you need to do enough damage so that its health would be at least the amount of health it started with below 0. In other words, a zombie has 20 health. If you shoot it with a rocket, you're taking away around 120 health (I don't remember the exact figure). Thus, he turns into a chunky soup on the floor. If you shot another player with full health with a rocket, and it does 120 damage, he will simply die, because his health would be -20 (despite saying 0 on his screen). If that player had 5 health when you hit him, he would be gibbed instead. It's not just rockets that can gib players. The berserk fists have been known to, and a direct hit from a BFG9000 will almost certainly gib a player. However, the shotgun and super shotgun will never gib anything (even a zombie), because each 'bullet' is calculated separately.

Of course there's some randomness involved, isn't there? Obviously rockets don't gib zombiemen all the time - most of the time, but not all. Same thing with berserk, and BFG tracers...

That's more owing to a random number seed altering the damage levels though -- the gib rule is AFAIK consistent.

Jayextee said:

the gib rule is AFAIK consistent.

But the damage amount isn't. A rocket can inflict between 20 and 160 damage points per hit (not including blast damage.)

well,i make the test...

when my oponent was with LIFE = 5 ,i shoot him with my rocket launcher.

BUT HE NOT WAS GIBBED.......

this is the right way?

REMEMBER : i'm using legacy

A rocket can do between 20 and 160 damage, so it's possible to not gib someone even when they have 5 health.

Yes you can gib yourself if you get hit with a direct impact and have less than 10% health left.

Graf Zahl said:

But the damage amount isn't.

...which was the point I tried to make, yes. ;)

However, the shotgun and super shotgun will never gib anything (even a zombie), because each 'bullet' is calculated separately.

The shotguns will gib the Commandos. And it's not because that's the only animation they have. I just checked, there's a regular animation, and a gibbing one.

Kenny McCormick said:

The shotguns will gib the Commandos. And it's not because that's the only animation they have. I just checked, there's a regular animation, and a gibbing one.

The regular animation already is a semi-gib. Apparently you are confusing something here. The way the shotgun works no Doom monster can be gibbed by it except maybe the Zombie if it was very low on health before the hit.

Ichor said:

However, the shotgun and super shotgun will never gib anything (even a zombie), because each 'bullet' is calculated separately.

Time to make an AddMultiDamage function ;)

Graf Zahl said:

The regular animation already is a semi-gib. Apparently you are confusing something here. The way the shotgun works no Doom monster can be gibbed by it except maybe the Zombie if it was very low on health before the hit.

I gibbed a zombieman with the pistol before.

Can't be possible unless you happened to shoot the Zombieman at the exact same time a rocket hit it or something.

It's impossible to gib a zombieman with a firearm, unless you used dehacked to change it to 10 health or less. The maximum amount of damage that a pellet can do is 15, and any pellets which did not require killing the zombieman would go right through the zombieman. Even if you got it down to 1 health, you still wouldn't be able to gib it, since you'd need to get it down to -20 health or more to gib it, and the best you could do is -14.

I've seen a shotgun guy gib a zombieman before (wish i took a screenshot). But the Zombieman was hit 4 or 5 times by another zombieman so it was already very weak.

Inferno said:

I've seen a shotgun guy gib a zombieman before (wish i took a screenshot). But the Zombieman was hit 4 or 5 times by another zombieman so it was already very weak.

That's what happened to me; I saw that the first zombie had been hit 2-3 times by other zombiemen, so it was pretty weak by then.

Inferno said:

Without Dehacked it is impossible. If you think you have seen it you are in error. As Deathz0r said, the maximum damage is 15 which is too low for gibbing.

(And yes, impossible means impossible! You can't construct some abnormal situation in which it might happen!

I remember gibbing an imp with a chainsaw on the playstation version, but that might calculate gibs/damage amounts in a different way, or i was lucky

Graf Zahl said:
If you think you have seen it you are in error.

Yeah; I recall once someone came up with a demo where a Zombieman seemed to get gibbed by a Shotgun blast. Inspecting it carefully showed that a fireball had hit it at the same time from another angle.

All accounts of "I saw it get gibbed by a Pistol shot!" or such, fall under the same category, at best.

Graf Zahl said:

Without Dehacked it is impossible. If you think you have seen it you are in error. As Deathz0r said, the maximum damage is 15 which is too low for gibbing.

(And yes, impossible means impossible! You can't construct some abnormal situation in which it might happen!

You'd be suprised there were no errors or anything, the game was running fine. I even paused the game right when the shot had connected. Nothing else hit the zombie except the shotgun blast. Really wish i took a screenshot.

I've tried doing it again with crossfires and my own shottie for hours but i could not do it, and that was the only time i've seen it.

It is possible for an Imp to gib a zombieman, though. As for the rockets, its base damage is handled first, and then the explosion. So if the rocket did 80 damage, you'd still be gibbed by the explosion.