Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

And now the hardest part...the wait for the game

We waited for 4 years, however as with any game, for me atleast, I find the waiting from the gold announcement to the point where you can get your paws on it, the hardest by far. Because there's no more guessing, you KNOW OFFICIALLY that it's released and that it's coming out on date X, and after waiting this long, you still need to wait 3 more aganizing weeks.

Alientank said:

Because there's no more guessing, you KNOW OFFICIALLY that it's released and that it's coming out on date X,

Not if they delay it :P

Amaster said:

Not if they delay it :P

And I pull an "office space" and burn down id software.

yay and I have new hardware to run the game just in time ;D

Use3D said:

yay and I have new hardware to run the game just in time ;D

Sweet what do you got man? I have a p4 2.4C (hyperthreading) OC'd to 3.12 ghz, 1 gig of hyper-x pc3500 memory, 9800 pro 128mb, creative gigaworks 5.1 500 watt speakers, audigy 2, abit ic7 motherboard, and my sweet ass NEC multisync FP912SB 19 inch CRT monitor :D I'm ready to rock and roll.

Alientank said:

And I pull an "office space" and burn down id software.

What? You didn't get a piece of cake?

Later,

The Bruce

Well, it's not like I can run it on any of my PCs anyway.

And I won't be getting new hardware for a long time.

Looks like I'll have to move in with Arioch for a few weeks.

Well I think there was some comfort in waiting for the August 3rd date even though it wasn't official, because you knew not to get completely excited. But now we're screwed. Why couldn't it have gone gold THE DAY BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED?! lol.

My comp will do, but it aint the best. I'm caught w/ my pants down and a geforce fx 5600! heh. But the 3.2 Ghz should help out a bit.

I'm able to keep patient. I want it badly, but I just look at the fact that it's taken years to make, and now it's within a couple week's grasp, and thats a damn good realization.

i have a 64 bit athalon 3000+, 512 mb ram, and a radeon 9800 XT 256 mb. i run far cry with everything on 'very high' except textures. using auto-detect it puts textures on medium with everything else on very high. so i run with textures on high and it gets choppy *sometimes* (only indoors). any idea why? i mean my rig should be able to handle everything maxed. also, when runing with textures on high, when i first load the game, the first coupla times i fire a weapon it freezes for a second then goes back to normal and doesnt hiccup.

I don't think this is the hardest part. We've been waiting for it to go gold for 4 years! It's not much different now.

Godshatter said:

i have a 64 bit athalon 3000+, 512 mb ram, and a radeon 9800 XT 256 mb. i run far cry with everything on 'very high' except textures. using auto-detect it puts textures on medium with everything else on very high. so i run with textures on high and it gets choppy *sometimes* (only indoors). any idea why? i mean my rig should be able to handle everything maxed. also, when runing with textures on high, when i first load the game, the first coupla times i fire a weapon it freezes for a second then goes back to normal and doesnt hiccup.

Same here dude - I got a 9800 PRO and FarCry gets choppy with all details on VERY HIGH and on 1024x768 - BUT then again DOOM 3 will run much better, considering "rocket scientist" (no, literally!) John Carmack has coded the engine to be compatible with even the worst of cards. (GF4 MX, anyone?)

kalamari22 said:

I believe it's mostly optimization. FarCry isn't going to be anywhere near as well optimized as Doom 3.

That is so fucking true it isnt even funny.

=)

For example: Quake 3 ....now THAT was a REALLY optimized game! (no, this isnt sarcasm either)

This is the easiest part of the wait for me. Now I know roughly when it'll be available and I can go on with my life until then. The only hard part is earning the money to buy it.

Got the money, and i can sure wait. Gonna camp outside the gameshop the day it comes out methinks.

I don't think i'll be getting the best out of doom 3's graphics with my measly geforce 2 mx400 (64mb), but should be alright otherwise. If worse comes to worse i'll go and buy a graphics card.

We have been waiting around four years for this game. What's another three weeks?

Ichor said:

We have been waiting around four years for this game. What's another three weeks?

Spoken like a wise one! And agreed. ;)

What ID does with optimizing there games for computers is like what sega and Nintendo (Rare) does to optimize there games on consoles(shenmue 2 on dreamcast. Perfect Dark on the N64 etc).

The wait will be worth it. Gives me time to upgrade my PC. As for specs, check out the Sept issue of PCGamer ASAP, it has an exclusive review of the game (94% no less) and a separate article dedicated to the hardware needed to run it.

The way I see it, if you can run a game like Thief: Deadly Shadows on your rig, you're probably good to go for Doom 3, considering that it uses a lot of similar technology (including the specular lighting and stencil shadows).

...It runs about 50 FPS on mine :D

In any case, everybody here worries too much. Get the fucking game and enjoy it. :)

No problem here - I'll just play through StarCraft and SC: Broodwar (<--AWESOME games). By the time I'm done, Doom 3 should be in stores here.
I just ordered my new vid card and when I get it, I'm gonna play Painkiller and RtCW totally maxed out in preparation :-P - I hope that card is truly excellent.

Just because we have known about doom 3 for years doesn't make the last 3 weeks easy.
Seriously, for me this is when the anticipation becomes the most palpable. You’ve known the games gone gold and you know its now only a matter of weeks, this is when I get really excited about games.

In the words of tom petty... "The WAAAAAAAAAITING IS THE HARDEST PART!"

Ive been playing painkiller, hopefully it lasts till D3 comes out. Im one of the lucky ones who will get it a day early :) Already put in for the day off, lol.