Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Skippii

What's your favourite time signature?

I'm gonna vote 8/4
I've been listening to a lot of Liquid Tension Experiment lately, and they write a lot of parts in this...it's just one of the coolest, grooviest rhythms I've heard.

I also like 6/8 a lot, and you can't go worng with 4/4.

If you don't know them, check out Liquid Tension Experiment, too.

I don't think time makes the song but if I had to choose, this month it's 3/4.

-E

I like both 4/4 and 6/8. Sure, 4/4 is kind of plain since it's used quite often, but most techno/trance/house uses it. And it sounds good when you use swing rhythms ;)

5/4 is also really cool to use (Mars by Holst comes to mind).

8/4 isn't a valid time signature unless you're purposely trying to confuse the people reading your music. It's still 4/4.

7/8 is cool, you can get some driving rhythms-- if it rambles on for a bit, the song can get pretty good.

I've heard songs in 9/8, 17/16, and 13/8-- and I must say they've all been done well.

I generaly dont use a specific time signature. It varies from piece to piece. I do use 120 BPM on almost everything though.

The real question is;

what's your favourite Casio hourly time signal?

Mine would be the Telememo 50 databank from 1996.

I have this clock in my room. It's like a silver cube and futuristische looking. Radio's a piece of crap though.

Numbermind said:

8/4 isn't a valid time signature unless you're purposely trying to confuse the people reading your music. It's still 4/4.

You can write it out in 4/4, but it can have a very different feel, which was the point of this thread.

And 8/4 can be a much less confusing way to write out music, and it's certainly a valid sig.
Writing measures of a dotted whole note followed by two quarter notes, for example, could be written in 4/4, but it's obviously got 8 beats in a measure, so 8/4 makes more sense.

You could also say that 6/4 and 6/8 are really 3/4, and while you could write it out in 3/4, why would you want to?

12/7

Anyway, 6/8 can be nice for ballads. I generally like to stick to 4/4, but I've played some of the coolest songs in 3/4. They're common, but they're common because they're good :)

Of course, playing with a swing feel makes me happier than anything else.

Skippii wins the prog-metal prize. I'm sure you've heard of Racer X?

6/8 accent/shadow notes played over 4/4 kick & snare combo tickle my fancy. A lot of the time Ministry/LARD will play a 8/2 riff over a 4/4 drum pattern.. Jesus Built My Hotrod is in 6/4 I believe..