Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

The Tower of Babel

"The air was thick and heavy with the stench of Death. A pall permeated the place, unseen yet clearly present; a portent of evils sensed but elusive. The incessant buzzing of flies was the only sound that broke the silence -- the diaphanous wings beat at a dizzying rate creating a hum that was at once greedy and gnawing and maddening. It seemed like the final step before the precipice into Paranoia."

Read the rest of this short story at:

The Darkest Hour

(Follow the link to the "Information" page.)

/Someone should really teach ReX how to use the forums. Seems he got into the habit of only using General, Editing, and Wads & Mods, and didn't realize there were others. However, it's been rumored that if he's repeatedly smacked around he tends to learn stuff.

Great story. It engages all the senses, good descriptions and the action flows nicely. It's better than mine, I think.

Well, I have done E1M1, here is E2M8, all we need is more stories. Maybe we can build an Doom anthology and have it posted on one of the Doom sites? I could contribute a couple more stories. Anybody else want to make a Doom anthology?

Since it would be an anthology, each story could stand on its own and not have to be related to each other. The only requirement would be it would have to take place in a Doom map. That way each author has full creative license.

I think this would be fun. What do you all think?

I think this would be fun. What do you all think?

A very good idea. I think it would be great to see so many interpretations in one place like that.

Hi Rick:

I'm glad you liked the story. As I mentioned on my site, your stories inspired me to write it.

About the anthology, it's a great idea and I'd be more than happy to write a couple of stories. Getting up to 36 stories, however, seems to me to be a rather stiff challenge. I wonder if it would be better to strive for a complete episode [Damn! I wish I'd done my story on E1M8 instead :)] As no other episode fires the imagination as much as E1 does, perhaps that should be the one.

About the style, I agree that there is no need for continuity, either in the character or in the sequence of events. (For example, in The Tower of Babel I was considering making the character have flashbacks to earlier levels. I gave up on it because the story was getting long enough as it was.) Moreover, with contributions there are going to be variations in writing style, etc.

Two further questions: should the format be first-person (to reflect the style of the game) or should it not matter? (I imagine it should not matter.) Also, if this is to be a co-ordinated and managed effort, should there be some sort of editorial review of the stories?

An anthology is an excellent idea, and I hope it materializes. Meanwhile, I'd be glad to support its development.

ReX

I wonder if it would be better to strive for a complete episode ...

...should the format be first-person

...Also, if this is to be a co-ordinated and managed effort, should there be some sort of editorial review of the stories?

I think doing an episode would be a good idea, although I guess it really does not matter. Since most of us have favorite levels scattered about the game, people would probably want to write about their favorite map. We could leave it open at this time and see what develops. Since I have started with E1 I was going to continue.

This brings up another point. I see no reason why we couldn't have multiple stories that cover the same maps. It would be interesting to see how each person intrepreted a level. I would like to see this as open as possible to get as much particpation as we can get.

There really is no requirement to cover all the maps, I would think. A central place to collect all the Doom episode stories for easy access is my main thought in bringing this up. People could look at the current list and fill in empty slots if the idea grabs them.

As far as format, I would think we could just leave it open. Some people like first person, others second or third. Since this wouldn't be a novel, there is no need for continuity and leaving it open would help gather more stories.

I thought about reviewing the stories, maybe putting them up for a vote in the fan fiction forum but I would hate to exclude anyone. I think everyone should be able to contribute regardless of skill. We are all learning. :)

As far as hosting, what are our options? I wouldn't mind putting them up on my page in a community section and manage the web pages. I am on Geocities which seems stable. I am open to suggestions though. Any thoughts on this?

One note that you all should be aware. When you write a story, it is automatically covered by copyright on creation (in the US at least) so all rights would be retained by the author. However, because id owns Doom, they have in say in what can be published in regards to their games. This may pose a problem for a Doom hosting site which is a commercial venture. id could legally require the site to pay a license fee. I don't see any reason why id would complain, but it just something to keep in mind.

Since most of us have favorite levels scattered about the game, people would probably want to write about their favorite map.

Agreed. We don't have to restict it to any one episode, nor do we have to strive for all 36 levels.

I see no reason why we couldn't have multiple stories that cover the same maps.

Agreed. It'll be like playing the same map using a different approach.

As far as format, I would think we could just leave it open.

Yup. Leaving it open will encourage people with diverse writing styles to contribute.

I thought about reviewing the stories ...

I was really thinking of it more from an appropriate use of language and making sure the writing was not blatantly offensive. Which, of course, is subjective. I don't want it to sound like censorship, but I don't imagine you want to publish (nor do people here want to read) something that is meant to offend.

As far as hosting .... I wouldn't mind putting them up on my page ....

Excellent idea.

I might slowly work on one...although, I was sort of making a more realistic story of doom, but I could always just cut and paste from there if I wanted to.

Let us know when you write more

Rick Clark's idea for a DooM Anthology has given me the incentive to write another story. It will appear in the anthology, and you'll be sure to know when it does.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Tower of Babel.

Hello Rick:

If you give me some time, I could come up with a story of DooM. You want someone to work on E2M8, correct?

How many maps should there be involved in this anthology then?

Hello Rick:

If you give me some time, I could come up with a story of DooM. You want someone to work on E2M8, correct?

How many maps should there be involved in this anthology then?

Any map is fine, just pick one and have at it. It would be nice to get at least one story per map per episode. We'll see how it goes.