Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Black Hole Paradox

Heh, I like it when they say Hawking's own mind created the paradox.

Perhaps he can create black holes as well then.

pritch said:

Heh, I like it when they say Hawking's own mind created the paradox.

Well, he initially pointed out a possibility (Hawking radiation) that makes sense based on current scientific theories (and upon which the standard picture of the distant future of the universe is still based - i.e. the Dark Era following the Black Hole Era).

This had an unfortunate consequence of creating a little paradox that needed to be resolved (or else some of the theories needed to be modified). That's how science works, and it is people like Hawking who drive it along with "big ideas" like this - and not being scared to put them forward just because they cause paradoxes or apparent contradictions.

I think the truth is that all the stars in the universe are actualy celestial sperm inside a pair of intergalactic testicles and that black holes suck them up and shoot them up an astral urethra and into the great eternal vagina.

I can't wait to see if string theory is crushed, and to see how this new theory of his effects current theories of entropy and negentropy.

Before this he thought that nothing can escape the event horizon of a black hole, now he's saying information can. Information in the form of radiation. "Hawking radiation". But just what is this information radiation made of?
I want to read the whole thing when this gets published.

Erp said:

I want to read the whole thing when this gets published.

I will wait until it comes out on video :P

So then I says to Mabel, I says, "But the black hole will evaporate eventually, leaving nothing but pure energy out of the components of whatever went into it!"

Danarchy said:

Maybe he's just going senile.

Maybe he's just going sterile. Who knows for sure?

Captain Red said:

I call it a 'Hawking hole'

I call it a Fry Hole.

Erp said:

Before this he thought that nothing can escape the event horizon of a black hole, now he's saying information can. Information in the form of radiation. "Hawking radiation". But just what is this information radiation made of?

"Hawking Radiation" is not a new concept - he proposed that in the 1970s and it is a pretty well-established and accepted idea. What's new is that information about the original matter and energy is somehow preserved in the process of it being recycled as Hawking Radiation.

As for the mechanism for Hawking Radiation, I suggest you look it up somewhere, but in brief:
1) Quantum Mechanics views a vacuum as particles and their anti-particles constantly being created and annihilated on time-spans too short (by the laws of quantum mechanics) to be observed.
2) These particles are created in pairs. It is possible for one of the pair to be outside the event horizon, and the other to be inside it. The one outside can then annihilate with another such particle that is also outside the event horizon, thus creating energy outside the event horizon that was created from events within it.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

The question is why this energy should have any relation whatsoever to the matter that was originally trapped inside the event horizon.

Note that (in theory), the final stage of the evaporation of a black hole is a colossal explosion, which occurs when it no longer satisfies the criteria for being a black hole.

=laff=Mish said:

I can't wait to see if string theory is crushed

Reading the New Scientist article linked to above, it sounds like Hawking's new theory makes use of string theory.

And this affects my daily life how? i still wont have a job, i still wont own "Cannibal ferox" or "The burning" and i still wont have a girlfriend...or a Capri, which is even more important

You're right. Understanding the fundamental physics of the universe has no relevance to anything at all. I mean, Maxwell's and Einstein's theories had no impact on anyone's daily lives, did they? :p

Grazza said:

You're right. Understanding the fundamental physics of the universe has no relevance to anything at all. I mean, Maxwell's and Einstein's theories had no impact on anyone's daily lives, did they? :p

Einsteins theoretical formula E=mc² said in part that the release of energy from nuclear fission would be enormous. This theory led to weapons research that resulted in the atomic bomb.
IMO the existance of nuclear weapons has affected the life of everyone on this planet.

In 1930 Einstein was largly considered a crackpot full of crazy theories.

Erp said:

In 1930 Einstein was largly considered a crackpot full of crazy theories.

Newsflash: They always thought he was a crackpot.

I don't understand. How does the world around me and how the universe works affect me at all? I don't live there...

MaximusNukeage said:

i call him an asshole

We can only guess what that makes you then