Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Dumb Dumb

anyone here into noise music (i.e. merzbow, masonna, brighter death now, dissecting table, xome, marax, etc.)? i'm working on further developing my appreciation of it, currently. It's surprisingly calming despite the insistent clatter. any noise fans?

Danarchy said:

Throbbing Gristle I suppose fits the definition.

i would agree, yeah.

Numbermind said:

Haven't heard anything remotely interesting about it since Lou Reed tried his hand at it.

you should check out merzbow sometime, then. here is a nice site with lots of info on his stuff. as far as noise goes, he's pretty famous.

I ordered both the Decree albums, but I haven't gotten them yet... I'm not sure they really count, since at least some of the tracks sound like normal songs:)

I downloaded some Merzbow for fun one time, and I must say I don't get it. I mean, he might make well crafted stuff that's better than the rest of the genre, but it still sounds like a microphone in a blender stuck in a washing machine that was thrown down a flight of stairs, all recorded with a $8 portable cassette player that was found lying in a muddy ditch using some half-melted cassettes bought in the early 80's. That fact that people bought the $500 50-cd "Merzbox" just amazes me...

EDIT: Reading the review of Metal Machine Music reminded me of Godflesh for some reason, so maybe that should be counted too... Some of the tracks are pretty damn noisy, notably Pure 2, Head Dirt, or the intro to Love, Hate (Slugbaiting). Can't really say that I like any of those songs, though:)

An oxymoron is a phrase with two contradicting terms. Noise and music are more similar than they are different, deffinitely not contradictory of one another. If it was Noisy Silence or something... then you would be right.

Did someone say 'silent noise'?

event width two path given
pure force downs
turns the screw crawl in back
in term space a time to intrude
in term peace assuring a future

silence noise
forming sound like silent noise
silent voice
screaming hints retaliation

heinous plans
in sides remain taking downs
taking aim
filling curses two conditions back upon itself
pass it off as good intentions
leaving marks hard to heal
reassisted retrogression
leaving tracks path reveals
sample act reflected clears
noticed thought while leaving hears
nuisance labels paranoia
so stupid how perceived that way

silent claws
shredding flaws hungers knawing
silent flaws
forever laughter silence knows

shaman stands retreating
all is over evermore
smoke the curse your creation
back upon yourself
pushes distress closer to the edge
one time cracks lights the walls
worry wasted hearing clouds
up above the chatter
digging deep
insider storms
to find the inner patience
erasing shadowed gifted ruin
haste retracing promised news
leaving statement meant as nothing
starving your words no excuses

silent truth asserts its proof like you abhor

mmm...Ogrelicious

Scuba Steve said:
An oxymoron is a phrase with two contradicting terms.

Music and noise are opposed too. With silence and noise you can contrast the presence or absence of sound waves. With noise amd music you contrast sound elaborately executed for aesthetic effect with crude and tasteless sound. Keep in mind the common phrase "that isn't music, that's noise!" Whoever coined it "noise music" was well aware of the contrast... which is the whole idea, anyway.

Originally I didnt know what to make of it, but it began to grow on me. Particularly a band called Sightings.

myk said:

Music and noise are opposed too. With silence and noise you can contrast the presence or absence of sound waves. With noise amd music you contrast sound elaborately executed for aesthetic effect with crude and tasteless sound. Keep in mind the common phrase "that isn't music, that's noise!" Whoever coined it "noise music" was well aware of the contrast... which is the whole idea, anyway.

Throbbing Gristle is still brilliant and fun to listen to. Some of their stuff is a little on the grating side, but whatever. Any band that includes the most insane musician ever and one of the most brilliant musicians ever can't be snubbed.

Hmm, I know Melt Banana. A bit more on the punk side of the Noise spectrum (as opposed to the industrial side).

david_a said:

I downloaded some Merzbow for fun one time, and I must say I don't get it. I mean, he might make well crafted stuff that's better than the rest of the genre, but it still sounds like a microphone in a blender stuck in a washing machine that was thrown down a flight of stairs, all recorded with a $8 portable cassette player that was found lying in a muddy ditch using some half-melted cassettes bought in the early 80's. That fact that people bought the $500 50-cd "Merzbox" just amazes me...

some of is pretty inaccessible, yeah. if your going to download some merzbow, it's probably a good idea to go with something more conventionally musical first. try getting the track 'pilgrimage to puroland'. it's still really fucking noisy, but it has acoustic guitar and drums. also worth downloading (if you can) is stuff by dissecting table, who toss in bizarre industrial soundscapes and more traditional 'metal' sounds.
EDIT: also, the 50 cd merzbox has nothing on the merzedes.

myk said:

or as merzbow put it:
"There is no difference between noise and music in my work. I have no idea what you term ‘music’ and ‘noise,’ it’s different depending on each person. If noise means uncomfortable sound, then pop music is noise to me."

amaster, do you have any links for sightings?

jute gyte said:

also, the 50 cd merzbox has nothing on the merzedes.

Yeah, I've heard of that thing in the past... I'm not sure it's worse, since nobody was actually stupid enough to buy the car :)

I'm not sure I really want to get into the genre, to tell you the truth. Some of the hardcore noise people complain that noise is the only truly original genre left. In a way I think they're right, because surely everything musically possible has already been done - all we're seeing now is new ways of piecing prior works together. For me though, that's good enough. I haven't heard all the music ever made and I never will. If it's new to me, what do I care if it's already been done before?

I haven't heard the term "noise music" before, but it sounds like Jesus and Mary Chain played something akin to it. And I bought more than one of their albums. At the time, I'd buy anything that was weird though.

Psychocandy rules!!!11111

Ahem.

I think you have stumbled upon two genres with the same name my dear Grazza.

The Noise-Rock category which you were referring to, usually exemplified by Sonic Youth.

And the Experimental Noise(Or Noise-punk/industrial) that Jute Gyte were referring to, usually exemplified by the Japanese Noise-punk scene with names such as Merzbow and Melt Banana.

Regarding the "Noise-Rock" genre, do you know about Speaker Bite Me, or Jomi Massage? Arguably some of the best the genre has to offer in my opinion.

The first SLF album is quite noisy, but thats because it was recorded in someone's cellar..still, theyre one of the best punk bands in the world, so something worked!

rawr, obviously there's a lot of noise i've missed out on so far. some that i like are merzbow, black dice (has no one heard them??), lightning bolt, aube, and fushitsusha.

AndrewB said:

Myk worded it perfectly.

I fully understood that there IS a definition of 'noise' that denotes a terrible sound. In that case, music would have to mean a good sound. I would argue the generally accepted meaning of the word noise is that any sort of sound is noise. Music is noise, and therefore the two are synonymous rather than opposing. It's a very weak oxymoron at best.

sargebaldy said:

rawr, obviously there's a lot of noise i've missed out on so far. some that i like are merzbow, black dice (has no one heard them??), lightning bolt, aube, and fushitsusha.

i've heard of everyone you've listed except fushitsusha. lightning bolt are GODS.

Scuba Steve said:

Music is noise, and therefore the two are synonymous rather than opposing. It's a very weak oxymoron at best.

I would say that the term "noise music" was coined BECAUSE of its oxymoronic properties.