Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

Will doom3 take away alot of players from classic doom permenatly?

This question popped into my mind and I was wondering, because doom3 is so cool/great/fantastic looking, will it draw away a large portion of the calssic doom crowd permenatly into it's gloomy modern depths? My point may be baseless but heh.

All the people who would have left doom for a modern game, have already done so, all the people who still play classic doom obviously have an unshakable devotion to it, and will stick with it even though doom 3 will be out

No. I'm not looking for a replacement game. zit's just a new DOOM experience.

mje said:

No. I'm not looking for a replacement game. zit's just a new DOOM experience.

Exactly.

have ppl that play source ports stoped playing .exe? well i my case yes so its really up in the air

InfraRed said:

have ppl that play source ports stoped playing .exe? well i my case yes so its really up in the air

That's not a good analogy at all.

I highly doubt many will stop playing classic Doom. What I'm thinking is the opposite will take place, where more people will start playing classic Doom with source ports.

Dude once doom3 comes out I'm so deleting the original 2 forever! Just like when I threw out Mario 1-5 when I played Mario64. Just threw them right out the window.

InfraRed said:

have ppl that play source ports stoped playing .exe?

Well, every port does play exactly the same game as the doom.exe ....

InfraRed said:

Doom 3 is just a new game. Sure, it uses the same name as the originals do, but its still just a new game. This community didn't die when any of the Quake's came out, so I can't see why it'd die now.

The fans who still play and modify the original doom probably do so because they just genuinely like the game for what it is - a 2d, fast, cartoonish game that is easily modifiyable. Atleast, those are the reasons why I like it still and will probably continue to do so after I play Doom 3.

Put it this way. You have a favorite band, and lets say their first album was really good... then they release a few other albums over the course of time that are alright, but then they release a really good one... does this mean you'd stop listening to all the other albums just because? No way! Same applies here.

I don't think so because all the classic doomers have withstood the temptations of leaving it for modern gaming for so long now that it really can't happen. Doom 3, for me, seems designed to work with classic Doom for a totally awesome gaming diet.

Yes, everyone in the Doom community will suddenly stop playing the original Doom games when Doom 3 comes out. No doubt about it.

Really though, I doubt anyone already playing the old Doom games will just up and stop playing Doom the day Doom 3 comes out.

Nothing, and i mean NOTHING could ever stop me (and a lot others) to stop playing the original doom games. Sure doom 3 looks like it can kick some ass but nothing can kill a legend.

A classic is a classic. Streets of Rage is still the best "beat the shit out of 50 punks at once" game for me, and I'll still play anyone at Street Fighter if they offer. I'll run through Sonic once in a while for some nostalgia, and you can still persuade me to complete Zelda from start to finish. Thats what, 4 games from an era that spawned thousands, tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of unique games that have almost all been forgotten (yeah I know there are loads more good games from the time, I just picked them to prove a point). Do you burn books after they have reached a certain age? Are the Beatles before your time? Does the art world forget everything they know once the latest, greatest painting comes out?

chilvence said:

Does the art world forget everything they know once the latest, greatest painting comes out?

painting maybe not. but how often is that the case with the mainstream arts? music doesnt get better with time, but paintings do. its like comparing old beer to old wine.

AgentSpork said:

Really though, I doubt anyone already playing the old Doom games will just up and stop playing Doom the day Doom 3 comes out.

They will for a while, but they'll get back into classic DooM.

i know one thing...
NOTHING can ever change my feeling towards the original doom games, NOTHING!

now that thats said. i highly dout it. if anything i say there will be alot of people who think doom 3 is a disgrace to the doom series over people who leave classic doom never to return.

InfraRed said:

its like comparing old beer to old wine.

So you're saying that classic Doom is stale ale?

predat0rian said:

Nothing, and i mean NOTHING could ever stop me (and a lot others) to stop playing the original doom games. Sure doom 3 looks like it can kick some ass but nothing can kill a legend.

Ideally Doom 3 will become a legend itself!

I still play Doom, Doom2, Final Doom on a regular basis. Itll just turn my routine into a

Doom, Doom2, Final Doom, Doom3 :)

Just another member of my fav. gaming family...err franchise.

It might take away a number of the ones that during the past four years have been meddling with DOOM since they heard DOOM 3 was on its way, and then (more slowly, perhaps) some of the ones that have always demanded something new from DOOM.

I think more than anything it depends on the systems of those who're already playing the original Doom on source ports. Source ports are already pretty advanced, and JDoom can be really advanced when you get right down to it with all the things they're doing with it. That said, I think those people who can't run Doom 3 the greatest will probably stick around and play with source ports and edit for them, and probably edit with Doom 3 minimally. On the other hand those that do have good systems will probably want to experiment with Doom 3 editing alot, and may find that they like building 3D levels alot more than making Doom levels, as in all reality its alot easier, and honestly, funner (I know this from personal experience, and many would agree with me). To sum it up the community will probably be split in two between editing under classic doom within sourceports and Doom 3 editing, and the major factor being how well of a rig that map author owns. And also, I speak of mainly editing rather than playing because when it comes down to it probably the greatest pull of people we have in this community comes from people who like to edit and mod Doom. If the truth be told, there wouldn't be much of a community without the editors, because without editors for Doom and new wads to play, Doom would have gotten really boring years ago, despite the sourceports (which probably wouldn't even exist in that case).