Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hon_Fu

Hey all dudes,new project but need help

Hey Doomers

I'm Hon Fu i need some help for my Expansion Pack for Doom 2.Doom 2 : Ascension,but i need to know how to import weapon graphics into the game because for some reason when i add new weapons in it doesn't show anything.Please help.

P.S - Doom 2 : Ascension is half way done.Website coming up soon.

also i would like to edit the Inrermission texts (e.g before level 6 and before 11).Please help

Hon_Fu said:

....i need to know how to import weapon graphics into the game because for some reason when i add new weapons in it doesn't show anything.

Can you please be a little more specific. Are you replacing existing weapons or trying to create additional ones? AFAIK only ZDooM and EDGE allow for inserting more than the number of weapons in the original DooM and DooM2. If you're not using a source port that allows the insertion of additional weapons then your best bet is to insert your graphics with the same names as those in the original DooM or DooM2. Some utilities also require you to create a marker named SS_START at the beginning of your sprite entries and another marker named SS_END at the end of your sprite entries. Some utilities might also require you to adjust the x- and y-offsets of the sprite graphic.

No...i would like to replace the original weapons with new ones and new Intermission text.

Use Wintex (check out doomwords editor section), Open up doom2.wad, copy the weapon sprites you need, paste them into your wad and replace them with your own sprites, job done

For editing intermission texts, use Dehacked, or its windows equivalent, Whacked

Ok,thanks for the info..but the new eapons still won't show up :( and neither will when you don't pick them up

Ok,thanks for the info..but the new eapons still won't show up :( and neither will when you don't pick them up.yes BlackFish i will send you my pics as soon as i get them put in a zip,is it possible if you could find me images for the BFG9000?credit will be given.

Are you doing this for vanilla Doom?

If I recall correctly (I've been working with ports too long) your custom sprites won't appear in-game until you add all the iwad sprites, or was it a question of using the S_START or SS_START markers? I'm afraid I don't remember now...

Yes as I recall, for Vanilla Doom, you need all the IWAD sprites in your .WAD for it to even work.

Jayextee said:

....for Vanilla Doom, you need all the IWAD sprites in your .WAD for it to even work.

Alternatively, use DEUSF to append DooM's sprites to the .wad.

The 3DGamers archive will not accept PWADS with original DooM/2 entries including sprites). Therefore, using DEUSF (or a similar utility) is the only way to allow the insertion of DooM's sprites into wads intended for public distribution through 3DGamers. [Obviously, the wad author must not append the sprites prior to distribution. Instead the text file should instruct the user to run DEUSF to append the sprites before playing the .wad.]

A little comment about using deusf. If you are using it with a pwad for doom2, then you need to make sure you don't have a copy of doom.wad in the same folder (so temporarily rename or move it). If deusf detects doom.wad, then it will use it instead of doom2.wad, and that will screw things up.

BlackFish said:

This goes into the wads and mods forum.

Please quit the backseat moderating. Anyway, this is more and Editing question.

XWE or Wintex prolly both work to import sprites. Just put S_START and S_END markers seems to work, with XWE anyway. I did this to put D64 weapons in a wad. I didn't like the way the weapons looked before they are picked up though, so I abandoned it. If you have a full set of sprites for what you want to change though, it will work.

Regarding the title of this thread, "new project but need help"; 'but' probably isn't the right word to use, since needing help fo a new project is pretty much expected ;). Now "new project but don't need help" would be far more of a shock :D.

Umm so yeah, anyway...