Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MikeyScoots

Valve is shutting down WON to run Steam, what are you thoughts on this?

I'm gonna have to go with good and bad and I have my reasons.

Good for the fact that it's updating all games and providing a more cheat-free enjoyment for some people. I was also banned from a tfc server for something I did that was really stupid when I was 12, and they said because of my age they wouldn't unban me even if it was over 2 years. I tryed to get them to but still no(this was a few months back when I asked nicely).

Bad for the fact that over a million people have asked them not to do so, and that some people can't even run steam. There was also a bug preventing it from updating(some may know of this) for some people. Many have signed petitions begging not to make users update to steam but still no go. They never answered peoples emails and alot of servers now have to reban the users they had banned like me if those people found out that server was running on steam.

do you pay to use steam??

if so, that sucks. yea i know bandwith costs money. however alot of servers can be run privatly by clans and such. also the fact the whole game package will be $80 it just has "milk me cause i am a dumb fan boy" written all over it.

if not what could be so bad. sure it may have issue at first. does anyone remember how buggy half-life was on its release? though i still think they are milking the product by splitting it. so far that is still official

Sephiroth said:

do you pay to use steam??

Hmm, it's free, but you can buy games through it, so that little bit understandably costs money.

I thought they already closed down WON. That's why I deleted Half-Life. Oh well.

WON sucked. The updated HL engine and steam are in every way superior. Fast download times, hardly any bugs, and a sleek interface. Not to mention friends lists and never having the fear of losing your cdkey. How can Steam be bad? People that are too dumb to install it are just that, dumb.

Bloodskull said:

Pay for steam? Bahahaha what kind of idiot would do something like that?

Did you not pay for HL?

Ralphis said:

WON sucked. The updated HL engine and steam are in every way superior. Fast download times, hardly any bugs, and a sleek interface. Not to mention friends lists and never having the fear of losing your cdkey. How can Steam be bad? People that are too dumb to install it are just that, dumb.

Did you not pay for HL?

HAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAH hardly any bugs in steam HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA, that just made my day. Steam is buggy as sin, it just doesn't crash often.

Relica Religia said:

Yeah, what's with all this "Steam is buggy" stuff?

When Steam first came out of beta, it was, to put it politely, a bit buggy. Since then it's stabled up and is quite nice.

Ralphis said:

Did you not pay for HL?

I totally agree. I'm not the biggest CS fan (etc) out there, but they are definitely at least doing SOME things right with Steam. I like it.

EDIT: Someone beat me to this point.

Edited by destx

Just because they have a monopoly on servers doesn't mean they'll charge. Take Battle.net for example.

I stopped using steam a few months ago. Wonder how it will hold up when people can buy HL2 over it, seeing how the steam network has had problems with updates for CS/DOD before.

Dest-X said:

EDIT: Someone beat me to this point.
You know, now that steam is the only option, VALVe control all the servers, they could probably charge to play CS or whatever it is you fags play on steam.

And you really think people would pay for it? A lot wouldn't. And they wouldn't ever charge.

Alientank said:

And you really think people would pay for it? A lot wouldn't. And they wouldn't ever charge.

everquest.... i bet you most would pay. after all, people pay to play games like everquest and such. valve seems better than that, they seem more like gamers.

Sephiroth said:

everquest.... i bet you most would pay. after all, people pay to play games like everquest and such. valve seems better than that, they seem more like gamers.

Many VALVe employees (Gabe Newell for example) are ex-microsoft employees. Hence the lack of HL/HL2 portage to linux or mac.

Everquest and Halflife are 2 completely different games, especially in the way they're run. Everquest is an mmorpg, which means all the servers have to be interconnected and run by whatever company made it. Hosting servers large enough to handle thousands upon thousands of players isn't cheap, and that's why you have to pay for everquest.

Halflife and many other FPS games are completely different. YOU can run servers. Servers are run by the players, not valve. They have no reason to charge for playing the game other than buying it really.