Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Would you like a more "Realistic" rocket launcher?

I liked the one in Quake 3 but I have to say that half life's is my favourite with how it jumps out then blows off with a trail of white smoke. I'm not big on the laser guiding as you probably won't need it in this game with small corridors, I'm more concerned with it having a realistic sound and action, I'd prefer if they didn't do something like Quake 3 had. Seems a lot of weapons have a generic sound like rocket launchers in games. Personally I'd like something way different that sounds very cool and futuristic, same with the energy weapons.

chilvence said:

I like a rocket that screams, thats for sure.

I'd like something loud, not obnoxiously loud, but something a lot louder then what was in Quake 3 for example. Something fast, hard to dodge, and loud, like a REAL rocket would be. Nothing slow, like, yep, Quake 3. Not something super fast in multiplayer, so it's fair but in SP, both rockets that you fire and the rev's/cyber's fire, would be nice if they were both very loud and fast.

I'd like to see something like the visuals effects of rockets in UT2004. Once fired, it give off a large smoking trail from the tube to wherever it lands(*may not be good for multiplay cuz it easily gives away where it came from, but anybody still hanging around the same spot afterward deserves to be spotted than fragged!)
And to be SCREAMERS like "chilvence" mentioned should do wonders to the nerves of other players especially if it's loud and high pitched. and for the splash explosions, I still adore the looks in "SHOGO" Mobile Armor Division, especially from the mobilesuit rocket weapon called the LA MOD-4 "Bullgut" Missile launcher, the numerous smoke trails after the eplosions still look great to me. I'd would like the see the thunderous quake aftershocks from that M83-A2 "SADAR" weapon used in the 1st AVP game.

Tsar,

Hah props man, Shogo:MAD was a great game :)

Anyway to hell with realistic rockets. If you want to see them in action go play Enemy Territory, then tell me of your opinion again :)

I'd rather hit someones feet and proceed to juggle them and paint the walls with their gibs. Mid-air rocket shots are like, my life-giving blood.

A future rocket launcher may not look realistic to what we have now.

I don't really care what it looks like; it's the realisticness of the explosion I'm concerned about.

I think a rocket launcher that made the screaming sound from N64's Goldeneye would be sweet.

Also, even more so if it was actually an RPG instead of a "pull the trigger and it comes right out in full blast" type deal.

Short answer: yes.

If by realistic you mean not the bolted, slow moving, piss weak sounding NERF rockets from Doom/Doom][, then yes. I mean really, why where they so big? And what’s with that silly 'tish' explosion sample? I want a big meaty BLAM! dammit. No, the doom rocket launcher really looked and sounded a lot weaker then it really was.

I'd rather a smaller missile (it would look like it was moving faster, and the resulting explosion would look more devastating) a much meatier explosion sound, and a firing sound that actually gives me the impression that I've launched a fat explosive device at high velocity. I want a kick back that that says 'that's right that bastard of a thing you just fired is really going to hurt the poor sap on the other end!'

And... I want the firing rate to be slower, and for the player to carry less ammo. Maybe make the rockets more powerful... maybe. The rocket launcher should be an "I’m the shit" kind of weapon, while the BFG is a "Jesus Christ, are you fucking kidding me" deal.

Thats definately the best looking weapon replacement I've seen in a Doom wad. But then all the others in my list are yours...

I really meant the speed and the sound though, those rockets really make you go "shit!"

Actually the Rocket Launcher in Doom 3 is pretty realistic looking, for being futuristic and all :P (I've seen it).

Alientank said:

I liked the one in Quake 3

Why? It's just a stupid tube! It looks awful!

The Doom3 rocket launcher is, by far, the coolest fucking rocket launcher. EVER.

Scuba Steve's comes in second for creativity and overall coolness, especially for being a 2D sprite, which I thought at first was 3D... lol

Use3D said:

Why? It's just a stupid tube! It looks awful!

Doesn't mean it functions badly though.

I'd rather not have a rocket launcher that can only hold enough ammo to count on one hand.

Ichor said:

I'd rather not have a rocket launcher that can only hold enough ammo to count on one hand.

Nothing wrong with that, providing the ammo packs a punch.

Doom 3's rocket launcher already has the best design they could possibly put into it while keeping it true to the original, so I'm perfectly happy about it. Doesn't mean that it's the overall best rl design ever but it's good enough for me :-)

I generally like a mixture of realistic and arcadey. It's nice to see a shoulderborne rocket launcher in an Id game for a change.

As far as sound goes, Quake 1's rocket launcher had the best sound for a rocket launcher in any game I've tried to date, namely because it sounds a lot like a real rl (I've heard one - it sounds very similar, but a helluva lot LOUDER).
I just hope the D3 rl won't just make a weak *woosh* sound when it fires like the old one <-- teh suck.

Q3A's rl was a disappointment in so many ways, it sounded weak and looked pretty basic after the awesome design of the Q2 rl.

Agreed dsm, quake1's my favorite. I didn't really care for any of the quake rl designs, however - I wouldn't want a halflife-esque one that takes up the whole screen, either. So I'm conflicted over simplicity or cool factor.

As for quake3's.. eh.. who cares when cg_drawgun = 0 :p

Doom isnt always about small corridors. Theres some pretty huge wide open maps. Hopefully we will see some of the same in D3.

if we dont like we can always make a new weapons package

i seem to remember hearing that doom3 will be shipping with editing software and UT2004 special edition comes with MIYA (which i think doom3 can use models made in MIYA as well).

so make something like a panzershreck that backs a WHOLLOP. at least as far as looks/sounds go. ad in a shockwave effect if u like as well, and maybe sounds from fragmentation hitting around you and the 'woosh' as metal comes flying back past you.

As long as theres a plugin or importer for > MAYA < models then it should be fairly easy to make new content, maya is a pretty easy package to learn, though (depending on who you talk to) fiarly weaker compared to 3ds max. but whatever. :D