Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Deus Vult II underway

The first edition is here:
http://students.washington.edu/hp1985/

Rate it here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15238

Download the latest version of DVII-1u (2008-02-25c) in the link above.
Update 1: Minor fixes to Map29 as suggested by Belial.

DVII-1u (2008-02-25)
Update 1: Map20's Thing 62 and 444 are no longer stuck together on skill 1/2.
Update 2: The entrance torches of Map20 now have the correct offset display.

DVII-1u (2008-02-24)
Update 1: Map19 has been restored to its original state to sync with Anima's and Belial's UV-Max demos.
Update 2: Updated DVII-1u textfile, with another subsection on author input.
Update 3: Map31 is now known as "The Manliest Fight EVER."
Update 4: DVII-1u.zip now comes bundled with entryway's latest PrBoom-Plus 2.4.8.3-Test, which has sky transfer fixes.

DVII-1u (2008-02-22f)
Update 1: Thanks to hawkwind, all of the teleport objects in Map19 are now flagged with strictly easy, medium, and hard. Anima's and Belial's UV-Max demos is still synced with this updated Map19.

DVII-1u (2008-02-22e)
Update 1: Thanks to hawkwind, the base teleporter in Map01 now works on skill 1... Anima's UV-Max demo is still synced with this updated Map01. Yay!
Update 2: The resources belonging to Nimrod are now cleared from the latest version of DVII-1u.wad. Thank God.

DVII-1u (2008-02-22c)
Update 1: Thanks to entryway, the latest version of DVII-1u.wad now comes bundled with PrBoom-Plus 2.4.8.3-Beta.
Update 2: Removed another resource that belongs to Kristus' Nimrod.
Update 3: Belial UV-Maxed Map31 with a phenomenal sub-3 minute performance. This demo is now included in the latest version of DVII, of course, must see!

DVII-1u (2008-02-22c)
Update 1: Thanks to entryway, the latest version of DVII-1u.wad can now run in the latest version of PrBoom+ (2.4.8.2).
Update 2: Removed and replaced a resource that belongs to Kristus' Nimrod. I hope you get my PM soon Kristus.

NOTE(S):

Despite all the updates, the maps are FINALIZED, the maps can only be changed if it DOES NOT break any of the UV-Max demos included with DVII-1u.zip.

The "skip map" levels are absolutely necessary, since different skies are required for the actual fleshed-out levels. "Skip Map" allows for sequential progression of secret levels and usage of sky textures from all three episodes (the hell levels would not be hell without a third episode sky). Most of the skip maps are only encountered in PrBoom, and when you play DVII sequentially (without IDCLEVing) from Map01 in ZDoom or GZDoom, many of the skip maps will not be encountered, since MAPINFO is smart enough to ignore the Skip Maps.

If you are not clear about certain aspects of DVII, a detailed textfile by the name of DVII-1u.txt is included with DVII.zip. I recommend reading it.

I look forward to it. Hope it has some more of that beautiful painting stuff, like in dv. mmmm

Bloodskull said:

And what level would that be?

Map03, it's written.

Looks good. The first screen does remind me of Vrack (and that's not a bad thing at all), in fact I think some of the textures used are from Vrack3?

The only thing I would say is try not to make it too hard right from the onset :P One of the best thing with Scythe is that it eases you into the carnage. With 32 levels you don't have to make everything an all out AV-style fight right from the onset, you can ease the player in and still have plenty of levels left for the harder battles.

errr... refresh my memory... is Deus Vult the HR2 style first-timer .WAD that had the annoying terminator music in the first level? (THE EVIL CITADEL KICKS ASS!!!)

For some reason in the 1st map with the terminator music it would turn itself back on even if my music volume was all the way down. Freaky. ;/

Make it so people can actually beat it, if you would be so kind, instead of throwing 50,000,000 monsters at you at once. :P

deus vult 2 looks bloody brilliant-- I actually love carnagey levels, but am probably alone in this cos im a freak. Anyway keep up your inspirational hard work--looking forward to deus vult ][!!

Use3D said:

Maybe this one will be fun.

oh, and the first one wasn't? it taught me to just go into the fray of monsters, and come out with 2% health because there's always a megasphere nearby :D

EDIT:

those pics are teh pwnx0rs. for real.

The Flange Peddler said:

The only thing I would say is try not to make it too hard right from the onset :P One of the best thing with Scythe is that it eases you into the carnage. With 32 levels you don't have to make everything an all out AV-style fight right from the onset, you can ease the player in and still have plenty of levels left for the harder battles.

I second that. I think 32 levels of DV.wad style carnage would get tiring and repetitive eventually, plus developing a more traditional megawad is something I would be more interested to see from Huy. :)

This megawad is going to be SWEET!!! I had the chance to play the map that Huy posted the screenies of, and all I can say is WOW...

And nopers, it isn't going to be a level that throws 20,000 monsters at the player and leaves you blasting them for the next 2 hours.. :)

The map that he showed pics of has a mere 200 monsters, as opposed to DV 1's thousands.

Hehe, I think that's a good thing... :)

Keep them coming Huy!

Dittohead said:

I must say that you have some quick skills if you mapped out that entire thing in 10 hours :) Good show.

As far as I know, he is using the new 3D-looking DoomBuilder editor, the one which resembles the Duke Nukem Build editor.
This is the reason why his mapping is so fast. If he used WinDEU (like I did) then he would've ended up spending much more hours :)

ragnew said:

The map that he showed pics of has a mere 200 monsters, as opposed to DV 1's thousands.

200 monsters can be a lot in a small level and not much in a large one. An absolute number doesn't say anything. Also important is the type of monsters being used.

In case of DV1 (Map05) I would have considered 1000 monsters adequate (but mostly limited to smaller and medium ones, not Cyberdemons and Arch Viles.)

Even if the ratio of big monsters to small monsters was the same in DV2, there's still less of them to go around.....and I don't think Huy is going to start making smaller levels anytime soon.

But I agree. If the levels now focus a little more on architecture and less on monster saturation, then it could be enjoyable for a larger group of people.

Graf Zahl said:

In case of DV1 (Map05)

Who played map05? My poor prboom, lxdoom, old zdoom or legacy couldn't. I could not even edit it with yadex.
I think that I have enough memory...

ducon said:

Who played map05? My poor prboom, lxdoom, old zdoom or legacy couldn't. I could not even edit it with yadex.
I think that I have enough memory...

Too bad there's no such thing as Doom Builder for Linux, then, huh?

Darkhaven said:

Too bad there's no such thing as Doom Builder for Linux, then, huh?

What's DoomBuilder? There exists Yadex (Yet Another Doom Editor for X).