Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Deus Vult II underway

FRAPS also ought to be able to record PrBoom 2.4.5 in software mode provided you were using 8-Bit video mode in glboom.exe ;)

You said ages ago that it's for Boom-compatible source ports. Does that mean you're actually testing it in PrBoom/PrBoom-plus in Boom compatibility level, or even Boom itself?

Please put my fears to rest - we all know what happens with Boom maps that are only tested in ZDoom or whatever :(

The two current sourceports that DVII is being tested under is PrBoom-Plus 2.4.3.1 and ZDoom 2.1.4.

I haven't messed with the compatibility levels of Boom however, that remains to be proven.

When testing it in prboom-plus, make sure the following is in the cfg:

default_compatibility_level     9
Otherwise pain and suffering lie ahead. (This is the complevel that emulates Boom 2.02. The complevels aren't a minor thing - they make a massive difference to how things behave in-game.)

Actually, please use Boom compatibility only if you're using Boom-specific mapping features. If this wad is like Deus Vult (no special Boom editing features), use compatibility level 2. Some people say (or have said) "Boom compatible" to mean "limitless", but that's not proper now that we have PrBoom with Doom compatibility (and Doom+).

The difference between limitless sourceport and Boom-compatibility is clear to me, not an issue on that. Boom triggers abound all over my maps.

PS: Grazza, did you receive my latest PM? I can't give you anything if I don't have your email!

DVII now packs a red-hot hell cathedral level with more sidedef count than the original DV Map05 (which counted ~42 thousand) but 1/3 the size... Still adding hordes of enemies in the spirit of the original... Think DV Map03+04 but embedded in a fiery red cliff face, and with ten times (understatement) as many custom textures...

The fights and monster placement are just far better with the boom triggers, I'm able to choreograph fights like nobody's business. I also co-op test all of my maps too. Oh, and years of experience since DV also helped.

I checked out WIP a few weeks ago and saw the responses. I'm glad someone out there is tracking my work. I have one thing to say for those of you who's looking forward to DVII... The project won't stop as long as I'm still alive.

Not all DVII maps are going to be 40k monsters that takes months to complete. For every epic map, there should be around five Scythe sized map for speedrunning and faster paced gameplay. I'm getting the epic maps out of the way first so I can have some fun with the small maps later, as none of the maps I've made so far (4) are under ten minutes in gameplay duration.

My next project is an answer to AV26 and HR24. AV26 had water as its theme, HR24 had blood, mine will have red rocks and lava! Doing my favorite theme is the next logical step!

*insert obligatory whining about NUTS with detail here*

Now that's out of the way, it sounds awesome! Makes me feel like going back and playing DV MAP05 again

DV2 is the WAD I'm been expecting the most with Eternal Doom IV.

I wonder how those Scythe style maps will look like, as I didn't liked the first Scythe style very much but loved Scythe 2.

I'm really starting to get psyched about this. For some reason, I'm really intrigued by the thought of Scythe-sized maps juxtaposed with huge, epic scale levels. Is the idea sort of like short episodes each ending with a final, massive map?

My favorite part of DV was just at the beginning of map02 -- falling into that big hell area. I thought it was brilliant scurrying around for cover, trying to find a way up into the tunnels and then slowly whittling down the demons' army. Hope there are a lot more memorable moments like that in DVII.

Heh, very impressive work so far. I can't wait to play this one.

I've enjoyed the first Deus Vult, though I found it much harder than Alien Vendetta.

Huy ... more sidedefs than DVMap05 in 1/3 the size? I couldn't do that with 1x1 sectors squished next to each other. Can't WAIT for this one to be done.

And Naan, I can't wait for EDIV either ... anyone have info on it? TeamTNT's page has been dormant forever.

Wow. There is no way in hell this is going to work on my computer.

Hey Huy... I have been a HUGE fan of the original DV wad for quite some time now and have shown alot of my freinds it and they have been rather overwhelmed by it compared to what they always thought the original doom levels were like. I honestly reckon that it is the actually a very very vividly close image to what I always thought Hell would be like in my nightmares!!! and for that I LOVE it!! (mainly the start part of map02 when you jump down and are presented by the huge room of doom.) I've only been able to manage to play it through on UV once.. might have to try COOP nightmare it sometime, now that will be interesting :)

And wow... now to find out theres a DVII and its a megawad!!! I've played through all the classics, AV/Scythe/tvr/hr1 and 2/mm1 and 2 etc etc and by the looks of those screenshots and videos I hope this tops them! I really really look foward to this. Keep up the rad work dude!

i am in love with the very idea of this mapset.
thank you very much for possessing the drive and the passion necessary for constructing this masterpiece.
the day this releases i am not working.
no way in hell.

50,000+ sidedefs, and with about ten times the custom textures of the original DV, this level is making its predecessor's hell theme obsolete.

As I'm testing it out right now, I can say the map plays better than it looks, but that'll be up to Ragnew to decide. ^_^ Demo-recording and co-op is the basis of all DVII maps.

Without mp3s, the 4338th build of the wad stands at 80 mb, which includes the map04, the mountain map18, the vrack4 map13 (Fredrik played it and implied it so :), and the current red-hot cathedral hell map25... once I get two or three more epic maps out of the way, it's time for Scythe-style speedmapping to wrap this entire operation up.

Doom Marine said:

50,000+ sidedefs, and with about ten times the custom textures of the original DV, this level is making its predecessor's hell theme obsolete.

As I'm testing it out right now, I can say the map plays better than it looks, but that'll be up to Ragnew to decide. ^_^ Demo-recording and co-op is the basis of all DVII maps.

Without mp3s, the 4338th build of the wad stands at 80 mb, which includes the map04, the mountain map18, the vrack4 map13 (Fredrik played it and implied it so :), and the current red-hot cathedral hell map25... once I get two or three more epic maps out of the way, it's time for Scythe-style speedmapping to wrap this entire operation up.

Hook me up bro! Hook me up!

ducon said:

Will the 32 maps stand in a single map, like DV map05?

Perhaps a HUB would have to suffice such magnitude.

ducon said:

Will the 32 maps stand in a single map, like DV map05?

Nope, but almost all the maps' beginnings and exits are connected one way or another.

Take the Stargate (vrack4) level for example: in the starting area, you can see a UFO hovering near you, which was the exit from the previous spaceport level, and progressing to the end of vrack4, the exit is an Egyptian Stargate, complete with chevron and portal liquid (that portal hatch WILL open upon hitting a switch), which will take you to... ooops, too much info!

BTW: No Hubs, no slopes, none of that goofy ZDoom scripting or effects (ZDoom is the best damn sourceport though); I coming from the HR/AV school, demo-recording supersedes all gimmicks. Boom Compatibility rules apply. This is a Boom megawad, and that's final.

Impressive shots... as usual! =) Keep up working on it, Huy... I want to see it finished! :)