Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

Your town's claim to dumb

We have a very famous festival (the Grape Festival) as well as a very famous winery (Widmer's Winery) which, AFAIK, is the sole distributor of the kosher wine Manishevitz (probably butchered the fuck out of that spelling). We also ranked 2nd place in High Time's "best bud of the year" or something, but I think that's all bullshit rumors.

Amaster said:

Nothing interesting ever happens in New York City.

You might be surprised. I heard that two or three movies actually take place RIGHT THERE in that city. Pretty cool if you ask me.

No, nothing.

OK, maybe the Clifton Suspension Bridge, and a few ships that Brunel made here. A lot of the work on Concorde too.

And as for the city where I was born - maybe you've heard of a band called the Beatles?

Some cummings country singers brother or something supposedly went to our high school.. dunno. hate country... hmm.. nothing special.. Oh.. where I live now is where alan leger went on his murderous rampage..

I'm loathe to admit it, but...

http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/mxpx/bio.jhtml

FFS, they even wrote a song about my town. Now I can't even PRETEND they aren't from around here. The dudes went to my high school. Everyone around here either knows or is related to one of the members.

I should probably add that Bremerton was a rather important shipyard during WWII. Many, many battleships were made here, including the U.S.S. Missouri. Also, about half of the country's Trident-class subs (you know, the ones armed with nuclear weapons) are based here. My town is about #3 on the list of places in the country to be wiped out in a nuclear strike.

Well, for one we have me.

Also, we're rated in the top 10 worst schools in the state apparently.

Semi-famous people who live here:
- Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden guitarist)'s son
- Jet (UK Gladiators)
- Mike Batt (of Wombles fame)
- Paul Swinton (blues harp player)

Semi-famous people who used to live here:
- Hans Segars (Ex-Wimbledon goalkeeper)
- Feargal Sharkey (of the Undertones)
- Rev Awdry (Thomas the Tank Engine author)
- Arthur English (from Are you being served ?)

Semi-famous people who've visited here:

- Justin Rose, whose local golf club is in the town
- Noel Edmunds, who flew in by helicopter to gunge the headmaster of one of the local secondary schools
- Keith Chegwin, who once turned up (drunk) at the local carnival, and got into a fight in which he lost a tooth.
- The England Rugby team once stayed at a local hotel.

Very famous person who's rumoured to have visited here:

- Stephen King, who allegedly rented a house here in order to write a couple of "horror stories of souless, sprawling towns full of commuters" (exactly what my town is like ;)).

Also, the next town over is where most of the members of Hundred Reasons grew up, and I went to the same college as them. In fact, I know the brother of one of the group ;).

The fucking Beatles. Bunch of mop-topped tossers.

Grazza said:

No, nothing.

OK, maybe the Clifton Suspension Bridge, and a few ships that Brunel made here. A lot of the work on Concorde too.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2003/11/27/1127concorde372.jpg

And as for the city where I was born - maybe you've heard of a band called the Beatles?

Everything he said plus of course this is where the slave trade really thrived from - a conspicuous note from the past.

Better things include Bristol being the home of Thomas Hardy, having countless scores of American and Australian places named after it, it being a Roman town going back 2000 years at least, being a major port and industrial base during Britain's halcyon days, once being England's second city.

Now it's home to one great university (UWE) and one stuck-up bunch of losars university (Bristol!), and is still thriving with loads of stuff going on. Just a big city basically.

We make a lot of leather in this town. If you use anything made of leather and you live in the US, chances are good it came from here.

-E

Famous(ish) people

Daniel Lambert
At one time Britain's heaviest man weighing in at over 52 stone and with a 92 inch waist...LOL. When he died they had to knock a hole in the wall and drag him through.

John George Haigh
One of Stamford's most infamous natives, Haigh was better known as the Acid Bath Murderer...

Sir Malcolm Sargent
Renowned for his conducting of Gilbert and Sullivan operas for the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company...

William Cecil
Lord High Treasurer of England who designed and built Burghley House between 1565 and 1587...

There's some info here http://www.stamford.co.uk/tourism/history.shtml

But it neglects quite a lot. Stamford pre-dates Roman times as a major settlement. And the map in the town hall indicates how important it was, there are only three towns on it londivium (london) stamfordium and Endinburgh. I think (though im not sure) Stamford has the highest density of listed buildings in the country (buildings that can't be altered without national heritage permission).

Stamford exported most of the slate used to build cities like Cambridge. Cromwell destroyed our Eleanor cross but left Burghley house alone, which guarantee's the town is clogged with cars when the horse trials are on.

If you've been to the castle museum in york the cobbled square and buildings were taken from stamford.

During the Civil War Bolton sided with the parliament, and in February 1643 and March 1644 the royalist forces assaulted the town, but were on both occasions repulsed. On the 28th of May 1644, however, it was attacked by Prince Rupert and Lord Derby, and stormed with great slaughter. On the 15th of October 1651 Lord Derby, who had been taken prisoner after the battle of Worcester, was brought here and beheaded the same day.

The cotton trade received an astonishing impetus from the inventions of Sir Richard Arkwright (1770); and Samuel Crompton (1780), both of whom were born in the parish. Soon after the introduction of machinery, spinning factories were erected, and the first built in Bolton is said to have been setup in 1780

Grazza said:

Bloody hell, I actually have to live here. Lucky you.

Having said that, it's as good a place as any, despite the shrinking amount of alternative hotspots.

Toowoomba has... uhh... nice gardens. apparently. but I was quite dissapointed when I dicovered there was not one single heage maze in town. what the point of having gardens every ware if you're not going to have a heage maze?

Beavercreek is well...plain. Nothing good ever happened here worth mentioning.

Bashe said:

Beavercreek is well...plain. Nothing good ever happened here worth mentioning.

Surely beaver is a good thing?

i live in noel, missouri. "the christmas city." nothing noteworthy has ever actually happened.

fodders said:

Surely beaver is a good thing?

Well, I haven't lived in Beavercreek my whole life. Only 6+ years. Otherwise, I've been living in hot ass Idaho. They grow patotoes!

I hope noone eats 54 hot dogs or makes the worlds biggest anything here, cus I hate to move.

My city blew up once. Other than that, I am not quite sure what it has that would be well known, or known at all for that matter.

Pittsburgh is famous for many things. I think the best could very well be "Dogma," though (which my cousin was in).

However, this is my favorite:

We like to call our town Muck City. If you don't get out right after high school then you never get out.

Um that doesn't count does it? Well George Washington passed through once and took a nap in some house!