Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jetflock

What do YOU think? (original artwork from DOOM)

Has anyone ever thought of asking ID software for some of the original artwork from DOOM? An example would be the original pictures of the Cyberdemon, not cropped to something like 108 by 92. The original scans, or pictures of the sprite models. These things should exist somewhere. The artist would feel it a priority to backup his work. Things like this could easily be implemented into ports. A "doom creature" in a high resolution can bring a welcomed refreshment to DOOM, while keeping it pure for the diehard fan. I think it would be interesting to get these high resolution resources that would totally in vigor the game itself, without worrying about the strain of running away from purist ideals, they would actually push the original ideas of the creators themselves. How can this happen, if anyone is interested? Should I make some sort of mass email? Is this something people may want to see developed? If I was to obtain the raw resources untouched, I think I have the "Photoshop skills" necessary to completed the models. What do you think?

Do You mean making hi-res sprites for Doom? That's not a bad idea, tough some people like them pixelated. Also, the people behind the model packs (Abbs, DaniJ) are trying to do the thing-make doom monsters hi-res, except with models, not sprites, but other people don't like models, and so on (You can't satisfy everyone).
Now, to make the sprites, ID used real models made of clay or something like that (in the latter time companies that wanted to have sprites for games used 3d modelling softwares to create 3d digital characters and then rendered them to make sprites-Raven did that for both Heretic and Hexen as well as Midway for Doom64), other companies tried to make sprites out of human photos (digitalised sprites) like those in TekWar or ZombieDoom, but as we know, that wasn't the best idea.
ID's idea to make the sprites from models was better. They made the models, possibly one for each animation frame (as they were static) and photographed them from different angles to make rotation frames.
If You want to make those hi-res sprites Yourself out of the models it's simple, either obtain the models (I seriously doubt that) or get the photos of the models before they were resized to lo-res to fit into Doom's engine. I doubt Id has the photos as that stuff is about 11 years old. You could ask ID to photograph and scan the pictures of models, but I don't think they have the time.
My proposition is different-make those models Yourself (either in a 3d software, but make them hipoly, with somewhat 10000 polygons and render them to sprites, or in real life from clay or greenstuff, or whatever suits You best, tough that requires lot of skills, but again, there are so many tutorials on the net on that topic You should get up from the ground quick) and make sprites out of them, photograph with a digital camera and tweak in Photoshop. What You could ask Id for, are some pictures of those models they made, but not sprite frames, so You could have a reference while making Your replicas and get close enough to the masters' work.

Oh, I am well aware of the process the artist(s) used when making the monsters. Yes, they used rather large clay models and used some sort of camera scanner(?) to record each frame. I like the 3d models, don't get me wrong, but the original high res scans would totally make the game fresh---without having to turn to a 3rd party designer. This is a purist concept mind you. ID had a vision, and then they scaled it down because of restraints. I know people(even myself) like the pixely guys running around the screen, but I also see no harm done in using they're "Mother" sprites in place of them. I mean, really, they are the same thing. the same object's photo.

Well some of the objects are probably lost, and i know for a fact the spider mastermind is broken. Also the models they worked from looked a bit different, the artists re-drew bits after scanning them as well, so it would take quite a lot of work to make these hi-res sprites decently