Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amacratic

Doom 3 co- op

I was wondering if Doom 3 is going to have a co-op feature. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

This question must have been answered a million times in a million different forums. Plus, this is the Doom 1-2 section of the forums, the Doom 3 section is below this.

But to answer your question, the PC version will not have Co-op, but the Xbox version will.

DoomUK said:

Sadly, very sadly, the PC version won't feature co-op.

Personally I don't think it's that sad of a deal as it would ruin the SP environment that Id has created for us in Doom 3, really.

Melfice said:

Personally I don't think it's that sad of a deal as it would ruin the SP environment that Id has created for us in Doom 3, really.

I suppose, but I'll still be interested to see how the game is played in the Xbox version's co-op mode.

I've said this before, but personally, I'm hoping that Id will release an add-on pack with a coop feature in it.

Hey, a man can dream, right? :-P

Still, co-op would be a lot better than deathmatch. Not to mention that all the other Doom games have all featured co-op.

amacratic said:

Still, co-op would be a lot better than deathmatch.

lol, you co-op kiddies make me laugh with your cute comments. Will you be able to win hundreds of thousands of dollars playing co-op? :p

Quote:(Will you be able to win hundreds of thousands of dollars playing co-op? :p)

Reply: Believe it or not a lot of people play games just to have fun with their friends and have a good time. Not everything is about winning money. Anyways, deathmatches are ok but co op is much more fun in my opinion.

I'm not doubting the fun factor, it is fun (although definately not the intent of doom3 I'm sure, as co-op reduces scare factor big time - system shock 2 for example).

But I was mostly referring to the "would be a lot better" comment and laughing, because every community (painkiller, farcry, etc) has the same type of people... they were pretty bad in PK, demanding co-op mode or threatening to e-mail the publisher or something..rofl.

TwiNCannoN said:

lol, you co-op kiddies make me laugh with your cute comments. Will you be able to win hundreds of thousands of dollars playing co-op? :p

Are you kidding? I won't be able to win hundreds of thousands of dollars EVER playing this game. I might kick some ass in RtCW, but am still amateur commpared to people who do this 'professionally'.

-E

amacratic said:

Quote:(Will you be able to win hundreds of thousands of dollars playing co-op? :p)

If one of the sole purposes of playing games is to make money, then you're probably motivated by money rather than gameplay, or anything else that really matters.

In all fairness the reason people support co-op so fervently is that it needs to be supported. It's a great mode of play that is just ignored by the majority of game designers. Classic doom has my favorite co-op mode of all time (nightmare mode with weapons stay on is a hectic blast), serious sam also has an exceptional co-op mode, and I've only played through the halo single player in co-op. Painkiller seems like a game that would be really fun in co-op, so that's probably why people demanded it. I mean, you have the network code already for dm, why not just go the extra mile and support co-op?

On the other hand Doom 3, with its slow pace and sparse monsters, sounds like a game where co-op mode would be out of place. Anyone who has tried the co-op mode of the ps2 version of Half-Life knows what I'm talking about, you think it's going to be fun, but then you realize how much slower paced fps suffer in co-op mode. Additionally, the co-op levels in ps2 half-life were designed from the ground up with co-op in mind. Doom 3, on the other hand, was not.

Anyway I plan on renting the xbox version of Doom 3 from gamefly.com to give the co-op game a test run, my curiosity is just too great.

For a lot of people, this is going to be a game with no replay value. It'll be fun to run through once, but then if you don't like dm what's the point of playing it again?

Then we'll have a community dedicated to building dm levels. Pfft!!

Dittohead said:

If one of the sole purposes of playing games is to make money, then you're probably motivated by money rather than gameplay, or anything else that really matters.

If I wanted to game for money alone, I'd do the stereotypical thing and get into poker. I'm in it for the gameplay too, I just wanted to squash that "coop is more important than dm" quote.

I think it should have had co-op. I would play thru single player, then play again with friends...and then go strict custom maps and multiplayer only.

I think someone will hack it and find a way to make co-operative. Just as CTF maps will be released that support more than 4 players. Granted, most PCs may not be able to handle it that well, but still...

I think it should be up to the customer. They could have made both, so they should have. Several of my friends won't buy the game now since it won't have co-op (they don't play DM or CTF etc much so any MP mods are useless to them).

If the game has no MP, then none of us would have gotten it, even me...

But atleast it has that much...

Sanjay

StarFyre said:

Believe me, you don't speak for anyone else here. I'm sure most if not all of us would buy the game still even if it was just SP.

Alientank said:

Believe me, you don't speak for anyone else here. I'm sure most if not all of us would buy the game still even if it was just SP.

Amen!

StarFyre said:

Believe it or not, but there are lots of gamers that aren't so active onliners, who don't go to internet forums or chatrooms and who certainly DON'T play mp - I was one of them five years ago.

And guess what? They always play single player games exclusively. So when you find internet forums filled with hardcore deathmatch-hungry people, it may seem daunting so many cry out about wanting kickass dm in their games and how they won't touch the sp part of it, but they really don't represent the majority.

And then there are forumgoers who actually enjoy sp more than mp and there are some who enjoy both (the ones I can best respect, because their 'horizon' is broader).

Alientank said:

Nope you're wrong, nobody buys SP games these days (except lusers with 56k who can't play Doom3 MP anyway)

I didn't even consider multiplayer when I bought it. I would have bought it if it wasn't a feature at all.

And I'm on DSL.

(And not to be a grammar nazi, but for the love of god, it's "you're").

Maybe you don't play games much but anyone who plays games more than occassionaly are only interested in MP-Supported titles, of course I would have bought Doom 3 even if it didn't have MP beacuse it's one of THE games (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R, Halo 2)

Agret said:

Nope you're wrong, nobody buys SP games these days (except lusers with 56k who can't play Doom3 MP anyway)

You, my good friend, are a moron.

Agret said:

Maybe you don't play games much but anyone who plays games more than occassionaly are only interested in MP-Supported titles, of course I would have bought Doom 3 even if it didn't have MP beacuse it's one of THE games (Doom 3, Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R, Halo 2)

You're an idiot.

haha I always prefer co-op mp games to single player games, sure you can discuss the game at school or over msn or whatever but it's not the same as you both experiencing it at the same time.

I'll agree that Doom 3 would allow for an awesome co-op game, but I don't really think the default maps are suitable.

A special co-op episode, however, with design based around two people at once, would be something special.

Agret said:

Personally, I hate multiplayer! I have a DSL connection and I can't stand playing games on the internet. I'm all for a great single-player experience - even if I have already beaten a single-player game once, and there's no replay value, I'll just play through it again and screw around instead. Just like I did with Goldeneye on the N64.