Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alientank

Heh, a video interdumb on the dumbternet when the interdumb just came out

That was pretty interesting. Any info about what year that was made exactly?

John Allen said:

There's an interesting kind of restraint that you find. There's not a lot of cursing, swearing... there's not a lot of personal cuts. There's not a lot of putdowns that one would expect to find. There's not screenfuls of 'go to hell' all the time, which is surprising. So the kind of liberation... is mixed. It's interesting because one would think that if you're anonymous you'd do anything you want, but people in a group have their own sense of community and what we can do.

Indeed, we have come so far.

nice video.

Now we have high speed internet (good thing, I have it)

BUT

we also have MOTHER FUCKING RETARDED BRAINLESS EVIL IDIOTIC ANNOYING MORONS who send us DEADLY VIRUSES, SPYWARE AND ADWARE, SPAM SHIT, and programs that are designed to STEAL SECRET INFORMATION leading to a credit card theft or even a :( murder :(.

Chat rooms, Forums (like this one), and downloads have existed since the creation though. Basically everything else is from the 1990s or 2000s.

He talked about how everyone he met on the Internet had good manners and was polite, and policed themselves. He didn't see any swearing or rude behavior.

That part was funny.

I guess the difference is back then it was pretty much exclusively adults on the Internet and now those adult's children are on.

Or something like that.

-E

doomaddict said:

MOTHER FUCKING RETARDED BRAINLESS EVIL IDIOTIC ANNOYING MORONS

You're not evil, but the rest applies.

Ah yes, I remember when the Net started to become popular, what with its slogans of "The information superhighway" and "Your gateway to knowledge." Oh, the promises.

Now the Internet has been voted the worst place to live in on Earth.

A tool of the human spirit...it's coming true...because of INTERNET

yes...it's hard to find people to talk about football in a bar...

Endureth said:

He talked about how everyone he met on the Internet had good manners and was polite, and policed themselves. He didn't see any swearing or rude behavior.

That part was funny.

I guess the difference is back then it was pretty much exclusively adults on the Internet and now those adult's children are on.

Or something like that.

-E

I think it's because back then, people weren't as secure in their anonymity. People had restraint because they didn't know how anonymous they actually were. For all the average person knew, your ISP monitored everything you did and would phone your house if you were naughty.

And you know what? They did. In fact, our ISP phoned our house because I got into a Doom vs. Duke3D argument with a person on a newsgroup about 8 years ago. Completely true.

Did you notice that almost every time, it was called simply "internet" instead of "THE internet." Heh.

Also, when was that filmed?

mje said:

Did you notice that almost every time, it was called simply "internet" instead of "THE internet." Heh.

Also, when was that filmed?

Betcha 15 years ago if not more. Check out the suites and hair cuts, that should indicate.

i am talking to you guys thanks to INTERNET. INTERNET lets me discuss things with you with an amazing amount of restraint: there is hardly any swearing on INTERNET. INTERNET is here.... it must be THE FUTURE!!!!! all hail INTERNET. INTERNET has much more soul than ANY human being on this planet. thats INTERNET for you.

I saw late 80's, maybe 1988? Look at those computers...Does anyone know when the first browser came out?

Goliath said:

I saw late 80's, maybe 1988? Look at those computers...Does anyone know when the first browser came out?

I think mosiac was released in 1993

Yes, but they weren't using browsers. There was no GUI. It was stricly message and BBS's back then, and those have been around since the early 80's.

*remembers his Commodore w/ 300 baud modem

Well -- I would guess that it is in the 89-91 range. The news programs, as far as I can think, don't catch onto trends until the trends themselves have already caught on quite a bit. Therefore, considering how long INTERNET (heh) has been around, early 90s and perhaps late 80s would make the mose sense. Also, one should be careful not to go back TOO far based on their hair styles.

:D

The only problem I have is this is when the internet was first out and he said that for about 200 dollars a year they could connect to "Internet". Well about 11-16 years later and im paying about 360 dollars a year. I mean after all that time don't you think that they could drop the price a little. I mean I'm not complaining or anything but usally technology goes down in price even as things get more advanced. I.e. My first personal computer was a gateway bought in like 94-95 and I paid about 5k for it and today i bought a top of the line gaming computer for what 3k, and it is like a billion times faster. Im just saying that I would have expected the internet to get cheaper as time went on.