Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Is anyone else a giant pussy?

I've been playing the alpha (hope thats legal to say) and even this thing gives me chills, I'm a giant pussy when it comes to horror games and I have a hard time finishing them because I get too freaked. Anyone else like this? I have this feeling that with Doom 3 I'm going to be scared shitless to the point where I need to leave the game and go play it online where there's no monsters :p I couldn't even finish fatal frame for xbox, I had to tell myself the game sucked, and that was my excuse for stopping despite the fact it was a sweet game.

Alientank said:

I've been playing the alpha (hope thats legal to say)

no, the FBI are on their way to your location now

Yup, got my toilet paper ready and just hope I don't wuss out to the point where I turn on the lights.

-E

I think I might have to watch someone play Doom 3 before I have a go at it. Dark places in Doom 1 n 2 scare me. I always use idbeholdl. :/

Yeah, I'm on the list. I had to play system shock 2 with a friend to beat it, and even then it was pretty freaky. So doom3 is gonna rape me.

Gotta be the first to say it: Wussies!! :P

I try not to get emotional when i play these games in order to play them better ("the will to fight is only created when all emotions are cast aside" that's my motto. Yeah, i'm a scrappy type). Sometimes i get a little disturbed, but still i often come back later to admire what a cool effect the scene was.

I intend to play doom 3 in the dark, at midnight, with headphones on no less >:).

well if you've waited four or more years for a game that is specifically intended to scare the shit out of you, i would think that the more you get freaked out the better :D. i'll be in the "midnight with headphones" club

I actually enjoy getting creeped out, as long as I know what it is that's giving me those same creeps. :P

But yeah, I'm going to do everything around me to make the game more frightening: the darkest hour, no lights, and headphones kicking. Ohh, I can't wait, hehe.

The Silent Hill series are the latest games that have freaked me out. It's dark claustrophobic atmosphere defiantly makes some rooms in the game uncomfortable to be in. I really don’t know if Doom 3 is going to be as creepy as silent hill.

Not to sound negative or anything because I’m totally psyched about doom 3, but the monster designs, the ones they shown us at least, are a little too traditional looking to be creepy. Far to familiar to make your skin crawl. Some of the designs in silent hill are pretty outrageous but it’s effective. Just creepy looking stuff, like undead nurses that jirate (sp?) in bizarre ways and have a slightly plastic look to them as opposed to the traditional George Romero looking zombie. The sound design is also great but I’ll hold off comparisons until Doom 3, since I’ve only seen trailer footage, but if you want to see what I’m talking about check out the silent hill 4 trailer. Weird stuff.

Heh Silent Hill had some crazy stuff. Remember those freaky-ass charred-black babies that dissapeared when you looked at them?

Shit man I went to the links page last on Doom 3.com. I had my headphones on and was like getting creeped out and stunned at the same time by all the sound effects and the background sounds and then those zombies started moaning and it scared the fucking shit out of me. I can't wait! lol

Considering how immersive the original dooms are (come on, admit it, you've ducked in your seat to avoid imp fireballs too havent you?), if they get the same level of immersiveness with the shocks and scares of doom 3, it will blow the silent hill and RE series out of the water forever...and i am certianly in the midnight (well, after sundown anyway) with headphones club

Yes, I'm scared too. But I'll force myself to play it the way it was meant to be played. Lights out, headphones on, medical aid team standby. I'm going for THE experience.

When I get this game, I'll hook up my mic and record myself, then post all my screaming-like-a-little-bitch moments here for your enjoyment and/or use in a techno remix.

hehehe, im the same m8... Ive still to finish Silent hill 2, I just cant bring myself to do it!!!

LoL, and im 28.

But with doom, i dont think of being scared for some strange reason!! The thought of playing silent hill 2 "scares" me more than doom3.

But I supppose ill have to wait until its about 12.00am with me headphones on to see...

There are only few games that really scare the sh!t out of me. System Shock is one of them.
I finished it 3 times and even in the third run it still scared me to death at some points.
Another game I had to stop playing from time to time was Alien vs Predator. There were moments I jumped up in my chair and had serious trouble getting my heartbeat back to normal the next 10 minutes.
You walk down those dark corridors with awesome ambient sounds everywhere...nothing happens for minutes and the tension rises to dangerous limits.
Really cool games...somehow its a damn good feeling to be frightend, so I would never completely stop playing a game because its too scary.

Heh, I know i'm gonna have some SERIOUS nightmares, but i'm still gonna play doom3 with headphones on and every light off...

Truthfully, I enjoy getting scared at games, RE was fun for that reason. mwahahahaHAHAAHHAHAA

Your all using headphones? I'd think 5.1 sound would be better, which I'll be using. Regardless, I'll make myself close the blinds and turn off the lights.

I'm going to be jumping out of my seat (Because I'm going to be playing it the right way; Sound up, Door closed, no lights, noone else in the room)

I'm a wuss, but in a different context.
I'm a wuss when it comes to watching horror movies, but horror games are mostly lost on me if they intend to scare me.
I think it's because in horror movies, I don't have any influence on what's going on and I'm constantly afraid something gross is gonna fill the screen in the next instant.
In a game like Doom and Quake (and the RE series), if something "ugly" shows up on my screen, I just blow it away with my shotgun.

Oh, one that'll probably make Scuba Steve proud: I jumped when the imp heads came out in action doom in that lab...

...AND I had godmode on!

The "SCARE FACTOR"......

Few games had this effect on me, Classic DOOM, PSXDOOM, N64DOOM, Quake(*cuz of that scary assed FIEND!) Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and AVP.

I remember many years back after playing a few levels of PSXDOOM with the lights off, my brother called me out of the room because one of my sisters stopped by to pic up something. When I came out to greet her, I startled the SHIT outta both of them. after jumping back a step or so my sister said "DAMN, what happened to you!?", I said "whatcha talking about?" She said "What with that bizzare expression on your face and the errie GLARE in your eyes? You look like somebody that been through something really BAD and barely made it back, through HELL and back, Shell Shocked, fresh back from some TERRIBLE LONG WAR!"

Of course I had no idea how I momentarily appeared to my broth and sis, But to them it was very obvious. I had the "STARE".

I started remembering about some of my war novels about this is how alot of our WAR VETERANS come back looking. In a novel about the movie "HAMBERGER HILL" I've read about a Post-Trumatic condition the veterans called the "OPEN GRAVE EYES" or the more commonly known in the Military, Marines or SPEC-OPs teams called the "THOUSAND YARD STARE" It is discribed a very unique but very startling LOOK at first glace to all those who don't know any better(*mostly CIVILIANs like all of us on these forums!)can make a young person in his teens have the deep set eyes of an 85 year old man. A person who had numerous VERY CLOSE brushes with certain death and survived. Other novels discribe this look as the "Eyes of many DEATHS" or the dead blank expression of a Toy BABY Doll(*DOLL FACE). I know I have no biz comparing playing scary damn vid games to post-trumatic symtoms of war veterans but I'm just using this as an example peeps, that's all.

This is the effect I'm looking for AGAIN and expecting from DOOM3. Like I said before only a couple of games had that effect on me. And it been a long while since. To bad I won't be there with most of ya'll to experience it on the day on it's release cuz my pc not strong enough to run it. I need more time to save for one of those "DISCover" grade tower case PC's(*not the APEXTREME)to connect and play either on my 35' TV screen or on my current 19' pc monitor, the best of both worlds which is why I want one.

When I come back to reality from a long session of playing DOOM3 and I have...... that "STARE" again. The look in all OUR eyes should be THAT LOOK. The look of the HORROR.......th' HORROR.......!!
(*the final last breaths of words of Colonel Kurtz(Marlon Brando)in "Apocalypse Now"

ONLY THIS is when I'll know for sure DOOM3 has truly SUCCEEDED what it set out to do. Only this WE'LL know if doom truly came BACK!! and succeeded Classic doom.

Tsar,

Probably the scariest thing for me, is when you THINK there's something there, but you haven't seen it.

Maybe in some parts during the game, you'll be chased for long distances by unseen monsters you've never encountered before. You know: you're walking down a dark hallway, and you hear banging around you, a shadow darts away, eerie noises/breathing all around you.....then BAM!

For me, being scared is when you can't see what's there, but you know that whatever it is, is after you, and won't stop until it gets you.

Actually, I think I may play with my door open, just so I have that added feeling of exposure when I play. I'll be checking over my shoulder pretty frequently, now. Heh.