Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

New project, yes before doom3!

Well, i'm going to map as soon as d3 comes out, and i'm recreating all the levels of Classic Doom. The only limitation I see is the monsters, as I don't think we have a cacodemon or spectre or <insert missing monstar here>

This is just a passing idea, but I actaully hope to do this...If I learn the map editor's interface before next year...

I'd be interested in helping out, but if you are going to simply do a lame re-hash of Doom using the exact same sector sizes and linedef equivalents, then I doubt you'll get much support.

I've thought of doing similar things, and I think that if more than one person is motivated, it would get done a lot more smoothly.

On the other hand, if you want to do the PHOBOS and DEIMOS bases (which are not as prevalent in Doom 3 from what I've heard), or maybe make it a "lost episode" for Doom 3, that would probably turn more heads.

Like I said, the layout of the maps should probably be changed and "modernized," so that it has the original Doom feel with the new Doom 3 graphics.

Multiplayer support would also be good. :)

Ditto. Indeed, it would be cool to rebuild all the original doom levels, but the scale must be larger, and it should be more frightening. :). It should also have some additions to it. For example, the original Doom NEVER had one level on top of another. So, add some things there. Move stuff around. Confuse the veteran Doom players, while still keeping the feel of the map.

That is indeed what I intend to do, keep the original style of things, yet add little tidbits, extra floors and stuff. And of course, make it VERY terrifiing. :D I am going to make all 3 episodes of Doom; Phobos, Deimos and Hell, if that is what you mean Laguna.

The ONLY limitation I see is that not all the old monsters are in doom3. But I think we can improvise around that...Not sure how though, I don't think it would complete the feeling of Doom nostilgia without the original monsters.

EDIT: Maybe I could actually make the ENTIRE bases one level, so maybe you could travel outside the buildings to the next? O_O

SIDE NOTE: Heh I just noticed that my thread made the 10th thread and 100th post in the doom3 editing forum.

I'll bet you $50 I can make a better recreation than you.

OR...

Since I've already made it obvious that we're thinking of the same project, we can divvy up the levels.

Numbermind said:

I'll bet you $50 I can make a better recreation than you.

OR...

Since I've already made it obvious that we're thinking of the same project, we can divvy up the levels.

I wasn't aware we were starting a competition.

In any case, I think he'd be aiming for gameplay, not who has a bigger e-penis.

Besides, my e-penis is growing rapidly by the day because I use Linux. :p

[EDIT]: That should say, I'm LEARNING TO USE LINUX MORE EFFICIENTLY AND I WON'T POST ANNOYING THREADS ABOUT MY LINUX WOES WITH WIN32 APPLICATIONS KTHX

Heh, I don't think "recreations" of classic Doom levels is going to be all that uncommon. If anything for a while it'll probably be the most common mod for people to make. Afterall, why wouldn't it be? You already have the map laid out for you, all you have to do is copy the map from an overhead printout, touch it up and make it look neat with a bunch of things that're probably prefabricated.

I'm not saying that this is a dumb idea though, on the contrary, it could be a good idea and help people get used to working with the editor. I'm going to make an editing faq once it comes out and post it here, and I'll probably suggest re-mapping classic Doom maps as the #1 exercise in getting used to the editor, but nothing more. If you're wanting to impress people or really make a mod though, using Doom 3, I would suggest just coming up with your own stuff and not redoing Doom levels like a hundred people will be doing when it comes out.

Melfice has a point. And I really don't care who else is going off on their own and doing the same thing or whatever. If they want to help that's fine.

And yes the maps are laid out before me, but I intend to add alot to all the levels and switch a few things around...Should be fun. Also, we have almost (If not all) the original doom weps in doom3, so that is not a prob.

If you're going to recreate Doom 1 levels for Doom 3, at least make them look Doom 3 quality. Nobody needs an exact recreation of a 10 year old map on an engine that can handle much more than that. I seem to remember a map07 remake by Shaviro (or someone else here) for Q3 that is a good example of what you should do.

No doubt many people will recreate original Doom levels in Doom3. I definitly recommend, like you suggested, to add extra eye candy and stuff, like cracks in the walls, wires, lamp posts, ceiling ornaments, etc.

I would love to play such maps!

AgentSpork said:

If you're going to recreate Doom 1 levels for Doom 3, at least make them look Doom 3 quality. Nobody needs an exact recreation of a 10 year old map on an engine that can handle much more than that. I seem to remember a map07 remake by Shaviro (or someone else here) for Q3 that is a good example of what you should do.

Really, do you think this is 'Amateur Hour'? ;) I am sparing no expense and will drive this doom3 engine up the wall with details and eye candy, yet not so much detail as it would ruin the gameplay. Gothic99 is still possible with doom3, so i'll keep that in mind. ;)

Basically: I have no intention of recreating tons of blocks in a engine that can and will do so much more.

Oh yeah, I played that map07 remix, wasn't it called Simply Dead? Very nice. :)

I propose you wait till the game comes out, remake a few of your favorite areas from the original Doom, and then we'll talk. Thinking up great ambitious projects is easy, executing them can be a nightmare.

This is doom1 people. ;)

And yes I know I should wait until I have the game but it's good to form ideas now so they are not all in a jumble later eh? Oh and Lord FlatHead, I know. ;)

Hmm...I have an interesting idea...now I probably won't get too far making doom 3 levels...but the details now possible in this engine and the size of said levels. I might see if I can put Episode 1 into one merged level. That'd look interesting to say the least.

With massively upped detail levels of course :D

Your not exactly the first. I know of at least 30 Doom3 mods that have been in development for over 6 months already

DaniJ said:

Your not exactly the first. I know of at least 30 Doom3 mods that have been in development for over 6 months already

How can they get anything done without the engine to work with?

DD_133 said:

How can they get anything done without the engine to work with?

3dsmax.

AgentSpork said:

I seem to remember a map07 remake by Shaviro (or someone else here) for Q3 that is a good example of what you should do.

Thanks!
The level is called "Lively Complex" and can be accessed here.

I actually agree with Lord Flathead, all of you people who're jumping on the idea of making projects need to just hold on and until you can have access to the actual editor so you'll know what you're going to be dealing with. A thing I neglected to mention is that this isn't Doom mapping we're talking about. You're going to have to put a ton of more attention into a map for Doom 3 with all the graphic details and everything, not to mention the scripting and things like that. Also based off of what they've said, it's based on Radiant. Thusly, it's not going to be as simple as making a tagging a linedef to some sector to make it do what you want. It's far more complicated than that. But seriously, don't get so hyped, you may find that you don't even want to map once you get into it. It's just not gonna be as simple in the end as saying "let's redo E1M6, let's start mapping."

Melfice said:

...it's not going to be as simple as making a tagging a linedef to some sector to make it do what you want. It's far more complicated than that. But seriously, don't get so hyped, you may find that you don't even want to map once you get into it. It's just not gonna be as simple in the end as saying "let's redo E1M6, let's start mapping."

Uh, no it's not really that complicated. In Quake3 generation games, it was as simple as giving something a targetname and then the acting brush a target with the value of the target's targetname.

Doors and elevators are not that hard either.

I'm doing a cherub nursery filled with 20-30 cute loveable newborn cherubs.

I'll make the whole damn hospital too, not just the nursery area.

ohhhh...I know what map to recreate! Episode 4 map 2! now that would be a thriller if it were bigger...

I have an idea better then anyone elses, Remake Zombie doom, make it like Resident evil movie, Or you could make a resident evil movie mod, witch would work great.