Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rancid

Difference between the X800 versions (reg, pro, XT)

Im not a hardware wiz but i was pondering what the big differneces between the line of X800 cards is. Like if its worth going the extra mile for the XT or sticking with the PRO. Gotta make a choice for DOOM 3, any advice would help

Rancid said:

Im not a hardware wiz but i was pondering what the big differneces between the line of X800 cards is. Like if its worth going the extra mile for the XT or sticking with the PRO. Gotta make a choice for DOOM 3, any advice would help

Either one is a big-time powerhouse - Id say go with the cheaper one FOR NOW.

(or just get a 9800 PRO/XT)

The difference between the X800 Xt and Pro is that the XT has 16 graphic pipelines while the pro only has 12. Very similar cards, but the XT pulls ahead quite a bit because of the extra bandwidth.

Tomshardware.com did a review of both a while back.

I have the X800 pro at the moment. It's pretty decent, except that it has known issues with the two games I am currently playing (City of Heroes and Thief 3). But, supposedly ATI is working on those issues. Hopefully it won't have any when Doom 3 hits.

I also have the X800 Pro. I play FarCry at 1280x1024 with everything on max. with decent framerates. Hopefully Doom3 will perform similar.

It's not ATI's fault, the guys that made theif 3 don't konw how to code an engine. ATI is trying to update drivers all the time when in fact it's the game developers who aren't working with the drivers right, so ATI has to fix the fault for them.

Alientank said:

It's not ATI's fault, the guys that made theif 3 don't konw how to code an engine. ATI is trying to update drivers all the time when in fact it's the game developers who aren't working with the drivers right, so ATI has to fix the fault for them.

Oh really? Not ATI's fault? Hmmm. Then I wonder Thief 3 was working fine in their older drivers (Catalyst 4.3), even the drivers that come on the cd with my X800, but later releases of Catalyst drivers all of a sudden made it stop working.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

Jomero said:

Oh really? Not ATI's fault? Hmmm. Then I wonder Thief 3 was working fine in their older drivers (Catalyst 4.3), even the drivers that come on the cd with my X800, but later releases of Catalyst drivers all of a sudden made it stop working.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

ATI and Nvidia need to keep staying compatible with everyone, and not everyone is working with ATI, just with one driver from ATI or Nvidia, then after that, ignoring driver updates intended to make THEIR game run faster.

Software companies have never released patch after patch to stay current with the latest video card drivers out there. It's ALWAYS been the other way around.

Thief 3 was working perfectly upon release, and even worked great with ATI's older drivers. ATI messed it up with a newer set. They know this, they're working on a fix.

The changes of being able to obtain an X800 XT for a non-inflated price ($499) before Doom3 hits the shelves are very, very slim. Those cards are incredibly scarce at the moment.

Arno said:

The changes of being able to obtain an X800 XT for a non-inflated price ($499) before Doom3 hits the shelves are very, very slim. Those cards are incredibly scarce at the moment.

Tell me about it. :( I only have the X800 pro but have been wanting to upgrade to either the XT or Nvidia's 6800 (depending on how long it takes for ATI to get their ass in gear).

yea we had 3 come in and in an hour... they were gone. 2 people at work and some kid bought them. i am happy with my current card so i am not worrying much

Jomero said:

Tell me about it. :( I only have the X800 pro but have been wanting to upgrade to either the XT or Nvidia's 6800 (depending on how long it takes for ATI to get their ass in gear).

You just purchased an X800 pro and you're looking to upgrade already? Good lord.