Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven

GBA Dooms?

I picked up a GBA SP solely for Dooming on the go just the other day, and I was wondering: Where is a good place on the net to snag GBA Doom or Doom2?

EDIT: I'm not speaking of warez, I'm talking about buying it.

Darkhaven said:

I picked up a GBA SP solely for Dooming on the go just the other day, and I was wondering: Where is a good place on the net to snag GBA Doom or Doom2?

EDIT: I'm not speaking of warez, I'm talking about buying it.

Ebay.com rules

EDIT: There you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48454&item=8118986251&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

5$ starting bid, gl ^^

Well -- you know. Starting bid.

It could wind up to be 20-30 dollars.

Heh, i got GBA doom the other day, i like E3, most of the maps are from E4 though..but i suppose those levels are better, a lot of E3's felt quite thrown-together. Also the Baron being the toughest enemy makes it a bit easy, as soon as you come to a semi-hard confrontation, out comes the plasma gun, because you know you dont have to save the ammo

i still see it in alot of stores, but hey cant beat $5.

just look for it if you dont want the hassle of online buying. DONT look in places like wal-mart and K-mart, i dont think they sell it.
also a must have for the GBA is wolf3d

I have the GBA Doom 1. The blood's green, levels are changed and the graphics are worse than SNES Doom.

Although I heard GBA Doom 2 was done by a different developer and was a bit better...

From what I've seen/heard 'tis shit. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Sephiroth said:

i still see it in alot of stores, but hey cant beat $5.

just look for it if you dont want the hassle of online buying. DONT look in places like wal-mart and K-mart, i dont think they sell it.
also a must have for the GBA is wolf3d

There's a wolf3d for gba?

mje said:

There's a wolf3d for gba?

Yes and the ironic thing. It has red blood and nazi signs in it. Yet doom for gba is censored.

Huh... well, does the DOOM for it have the pentagrams and slain bodies on the wall, etc?

No, it has skulls on pikes, and (green) blood on the ground, but all the hanging/impaled bodies are replaced by empty chains and spikes

And the graphics are not worse than snes doom, the enemies have rotational sprites, and there are textures on the floor and ceiling

The reason why Doom 1 GBA and Wolf3D GBA are much different content-wise, it's because they're developed by two different companies. David A. Palmer did the Doom GBA port, who was also responsible for the Commander Keen GBC game, while Stalker Entertainment did the Wolf3D port.

the only problem I saw with Wolf3D GBA was that it was a bit slow, got laggy (like running a 286 PC) and none of Bobby Prince's fine music in the game. sad, really.

I've got Wolf3d, Doom and Doom II on the GBA.

I was disappointed how there was no music in Wolf3d. I guess you could say an advantage is that they kept red blood.

Bashe said:

I've got Wolf3d, Doom and Doom II on the GBA.

I was disappointed how there was no music in Wolf3d. I guess you could say an advantage is that they kept red blood.

At least it's nothing like Wolf3d on the SNES, that is just bleedin horrible.

Wolf3d on the SNES...please don't bring that up. I used to like it when I was a kid, but that's when it didn't matter how bad games were back then. Now it's just so bad.

Don't get your GBA games second-hand (ebay), they'll usually have it's SRAM battery ripped out (and usually are homeburned carts)

deathbringer said:

No, it has skulls on pikes, and (green) blood on the ground, but all the hanging/impaled bodies are replaced by empty chains and spikes

And the graphics are not worse than snes doom, the enemies have rotational sprites, and there are textures on the floor and ceiling

Rotational sprites -- wow, that is impressive, considering the platform we're talking about here.

I had the game (Doom) up to the point where my GBA was stolen and for a fact, playing a FPS on an actual handhelp felt pretty cool, not to mention we're talking about Doom

Certain things have to be cut, frankly it was all because of the developer in my mind since yes the game is cencored (has a Teen rating) and because of that it was probably meant for more of a profit since a broader range of gamers play teen games

I liked what I played although the music was pretty bad, otherwise it filled my Dooming desire quite well especially since this was on the GBA

I own Doom ][ for the GBA. Aside from the removal of gore, the game itself is pretty badass.

Yeah it does have DM, though i havent tried it eithr yet, apparently it also has some all-new DM levels too, wouldnt have minded an option to explore them in single player, but never mind

Another thought...

OK, the GBA gas four buttons, and then start and select, and a d-pad...

How on Earth can you have a smooth DOOM experience with that? Not saying you can't -- I just want to know how.

D-Pad: Move
A: Fire
B: Run/Activate (works better than you might think actually, you just have to remember to walk throgh doors after they open or pressing B will close it again)
L: Strafe
R: Strafe
L+R+Up/Down: Change weapon, well it cant be perfect!

the only real thing i didnt like about the GBA doom games was the fact you could not save at any point. that can suck

also unless you have the SP, seeing it can be a bitch at times.

it will just be easier to get it from a store than ebay. we sell both doom games off and on, i bought wolf3d at meijers ironicly. some old man carded me and i showed him my Id and he was still pissed. however i told him "give me the game or get fired"

Heh. Well, it's a better situation than SNES DOOM players were in. I could be wrong here, because it's literally been probably been since the 90s since I've played it, but didn't you have lives in the SNES DOOM? Bad combination -- lives -- and no saves.

In SNES Doom you get your one life and no saves, but a killed player restarts with 100% health, and whatever armor, weapons and ammo that the player originally brought into the level.