Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Jumping

I know it sounds daft, but does anyone here know anything about jumping in Doom 3 (as in jumping upwards off the ground)?. It just occured to me last night and it's something I've overlooked.

I've read somwhere that it will be done with both the players legs, and that it will allow you to reach higher platforms than walking can .... not so sure if this is true but thats what I heard at least hope it helps

I seem to remember reading something about you not being able to strafe-jump in Doom 3, though. Not quite sure if it's true or not, though.

Sounds a bit far-fetched. How are they going to explain that the marine can run as fast when facing forwards as he can run diagonally?

no, it would be dumb, very dumb. if they did not include jumping and croutching. those are in FPS, i thought it was dump when "golden eye" didnt have it.
it would be extreamly retarted to make a newer game, made to look realistic, and leave out such features are jumping, croutching and looking

Grazza said:

Sounds a bit far-fetched. How are they going to explain that the marine can run as fast when facing forwards as he can run diagonally?

Yeah that's wacky.

I wonder if you can lean around corners like in RTCW, FarCry and so on. It started as a pretty useless function in Duke3D, but it´s really cool and usefull in the games mentioned above. I would like to have it in Doom3 but I´m afraid it belongs to Carmacks list of superfluous features.

Leaning and dodging - Highly doubtful, considering they wanted to keep the controls as few and as simple as possible. Remember the use key argument.

AirRaid said:

Leaning and dodging - Highly doubtful, considering they wanted to keep the controls as few and as simple as possible. Remember the use key argument.

LOL, I forget who it was, but it was JC, Tim Sweeney from Epic, or George Broussard of Duke Nukem Never infamy, or someone similar anyway, who once bitched, "You want more realism? Right, in my next game there will be a key for inhaling and a key for exhaling, and we'll see how you bastards like that!" (Paraphrasing from memory, but you get the gist.) ;)

chilvence said:

I've read somwhere that it will be done with both the players legs, and that it will allow you to reach higher platforms than walking can .... not so sure if this is true but thats what I heard at least hope it helps

Now thats comedy, LOL

Deathmatcher said:

I wonder if you can lean around corners like in RTCW, FarCry and so on. It started as a pretty useless function in Duke3D, but it´s really cool and usefull in the games mentioned above. I would like to have it in Doom3 but I´m afraid it belongs to Carmacks list of superfluous features.

Imo, this would be useless in Doom 3 as the demons can "smell your fear". Also they have more of a stupid ai as in they just want to kill you, and dont care if they are killed in the process because they just go back to hell. I remember this from an article earlier this year.

AirRaid said:

I think it will be in not only for the multi-player aspect but because they're making other games with this engine as well. Q4 and Wolf would both benefit from leaning.

-E

It's not like they cant alter the engine for new games. Heretic (*shudder*) had an inventory system, and it was based off of the doom engine.

AgentSpork said:

I seem to remember reading something about you not being able to strafe-jump in Doom 3, though. Not quite sure if it's true or not, though.

You can strafejump... however, I'm sure that term was used as quake3's term which is jumping for speed, and not just left/right jumping (which I think some people interpreted it as).

unfortunately, i dont think you will be able to strafe jump. i was looking through the scans of some magazine from 2002 (linked to in the screenshots section of this site) and one of the little captions said there will be no strafe jumping. :(

Spudz said:

unfortunately, i dont think you will be able to strafe jump. i was looking through the scans of some magazine from 2002 (linked to in the screenshots section of this site) and one of the little captions said there will be no strafe jumping. :(

Er... one of the quotes from 2003-ish said they WOULD have it... oh well, we'll have to see. I hope they do though, I get bored if the only means of transportation is plain ol' walking.