Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Problem in "2002: A Doom Odyssey"

I'm using Zdoom, for starters.

Anyway, whenever I complete an episode, the level ends, and it tries to go into a level called unamed. The text screen will pop up, and once it goes away, the level I just completed will restart. What is going on?

Odd... I do believe some of the designers were using or recommending that very engine (at least they added the stupid blue map for it.)

If you say exactly which version of Zdoom you are using, and which release of 2002ADO (IIRC there were two releases, not including the episode 1 release), it will help people see if they can reproduce the error.

It doesn't seem to work at all in the latest version (.63a), due to an outdated MAPINFO lump... The boss maps make use of the baron/cyberdemon/spider mastermind effects, but they're not in the MAPINFO, so nothing happens when you kill them...

It also doesn't use any exit texts or episode endings (i.e. EndGame1), so it tries to go to the 'next' map, which is not named, or present.

Yes, the MAPINFO lump in that WAD is buggy. Apparently it was never tested and so it doesn't contain the end boss specials. If you don't know how to fix it yourself removing this lump completely from the WAD will fix the problem but to see the proper level names and intermission text you have to load the DEH file included.

Don't blame ZDoom, this is clearly a WAD error.

BTW, I have an old version without the MAPINFO lump so apparently it was added after initial release.

Graf Zahl said:

BTW, I have an old version without the MAPINFO lump so apparently it was added after initial release.

Yes, it was fine in the version dated 23-July-2002, but that is no longer in the archive. :(

The version in the archive works with other ports though. You won't be able to get to E5M1, but you're missing nothing. That final release was quite unfortunate - things that could have been improved weren't, and some stuff was added that didn't work properly.

So would anybody mind if someone uploaded a fixed version of this WAD? Putting the missing stuff in the MAPINFO lump can be done in a few minutes and it could eliminate these totally unnecessary problems.

I'll have a talk with Paul about this and see if I can't fix this and re-upload it. Sorry for the inconvinience guys, we must have been drunk when we made that MAPINFO...

If you do that one suggestion about the secret levels in E2: I think they should be reversed. IMO it would be better if the player goes from the Heretic-style secret exit in E2M4 to the Heretic-style secret level, not from E2M5 as it is now.

Yeah, just deleting the MAPINFO fixes most of the problems, but there will only be 4 skies and the music for levels in E4 will be wrong and E5M1 won't have music (not that I care).

I'm in the process of correcting the errors you mentioned and the secret levels thing too. Anything else you'd like to see corrected while I'm at it? Errors, flaws, the like...?

I recall myk supplied a corrected deh file, but it wasn't used in the final release. Using it won't break anything, and will make the whole thing look more professional. Correcting the "your'e ticket" in the titlepic would obviously involve a little bit more effort though.

If you're planning on making gameplay changes, then the comments in the demopack would be a good place to look (it highlights things like unreachable secrets, and maps where you can't kill all the monsters).

I hope my earlier comments don't seem harsh. I view 2002ADO as a top-five megawad, and was just disappointed that some fixable flaws weren't fixed.

BTW, the RL in E2M2 is grabbable through the diagonal bars/grating. Don't know if you meant it to be...

Hey, no problem Grazza! Your comments aren't harsh at all, at least I didn't read them as such. I'll take your comments into consideration and thanks for the link! I'll check it out.