Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jomero

Hey Guys, New Here but not to DooM

Just wanted to introduce myself to you guys and share my feelings on DooM.

I have a special connection with DooM that dates all the way back to december of 1993. I can't really describe just why I have a special fondness for this game, or why it's even still fun to play to this day (thank you so much, ZDoom!). DooM and I even share a birthday (December 10th).

I spent a lot of time playing DooM back when it was released. A lot. I was in high school at the time, and those years were messed up enough as it was. Having DooM there as some sort of release was.... soothing. I've probably played through the original game more than 100 times and I started doing it yet again just last night (more on that later).

I remember when Aliens TC and Barney Doom were first released. I remember when Simpsons DooM came out and the consant "*Munch Munch* More!" by Homer as you picked up health (doughnuts) and ammo, along with Barney's "I can SEE you!" I remember when DeHacked came out and changed the way us casual editors could tweak the game. I remember learning all the ins and outs of DooM as I learned how to create maps with one of the first map editors released for Windows 3.1 (can't really remember the name of it, but it wasn't the best editor I used. That honor came to... oh what was it called? Deu? Argh.)

There is still something deeply satisfying about blowing an imp away with a shotgun, even to this day. I don't know what it is, or why other games just don't have that same feedback deep down in your gut as you blast that sucker away. And for some odd reason, the original shotgun "feels" better when blowing stuff away than the double-barrel. Though I used the DB a lot more, it just didn't have the same sort of feedback. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because the original's pellets were more tightly compacted and only spread out horizontally. Who knows?

I remember first meeting the cyberdemon, and how it was the first time I really got freaked out by a video game. It was early in the morning, my friend and I had stayed up all night. I was playing the game with headphones. And that guy just freaked me out. The footsteps were what really got to me. I couldn't see where he was, but I imagined him hunting me down and I was just freaked out. It's unfortunate that I know now how the AI works and how stupid he and everyone else really are (and how easily they get stuck on architecture). But still, I still have a special place for old Cybey. I'd play the game and idclev right to him many, many times. In fact, he taught me the value of strafing, and then circle strafing.

Playing DooM on my home pc wasn't the best. It was a 386sx 33 Mhz w/ 6 MB RAM. But I didn't care. DooM was playable! I had to shrink the screen down a couple times and play on "low detail" mode, but it ran smooth after that! I didn't have to scheme to go to friends' houses w/ 486s anymore!

Now that DooM 3 is about to come out, those old flames have been rekindled (though they've been burning still). I've visited doomworld.com many times over the past several years. Just never got around to posting here. Until now.

I started playing through the original game again last night (first episode). But I decided to give nightmare a go, something I was never able to do too well. It still kicked my ass a bit. So I decided to go back to ultra violence, but turn on "fast monsters" in ZDoom. It's a bit more manageable. I'm enjoying it. It's finally challenging me again. And I must say, Pinkies are now the most scariest monster I've yet met in DooM again with fast monsters turned on. Those things are just damn MEAN and FRICKIN' FAST! I barely have time to pull up my chainsaw the second one sees me! I love it! :-) Made it to the 5th level (including secret level) so far before I had to call it quits.

Anyway, good meeting you guys. I'm here to stay. I may be new, but DooM and I are very old friends. My alias is also really old, as it's a play off of John Romero's name. I chose it around 1997 (when Quake was getting big and people were playing online with aliases). I chose Ron Jomero. Eventually just shortened it. There was a mix-up and I read something that Romero used the alias "Ron Jomero" at one point, so I mailed him about it. He never used it, even gave me permission to use it. We also discovered that we are both uber-fans of satriani.com]Joe Satriani and when I told him I used to chat with him online all the time, Romero was definitely impressed. :-D

Later!

-Jomero

Read the forum FAQ please. Mods don't take a liking to much to introductory posts, and tend to like to send them to post hell.... oh and welcome to the board. But chances are yours will stay because you actually have something interesting to say aside from just a short introduction.

Hmmm. Just went through the FAQ but didn't see anything about introductory posts.

But I apologize if this is not an accepted standard.

Jomero said:

Hmmm. Just went through the FAQ but didn't see anything about introductory posts.

No, this is not an accepted standard. We have seen far too many posts like this, which is why we generally have a negative view of introductory posts. Yours, however, was everything that that post was not.

No, this is not an accepted standard. We have seen far too many posts like this, which is why we generally have a negative view of introductory posts. Yours, however, was everything that that post was not.

Ok, aside from the horrid colors, the banner, and the posts, I have to admit to thinking that song playing in the background was hilarious. What was it, who mixed it, and is there a full version? :D

Heh.

You have combined the fruits of every single virulent stream of "when you first saw the health bonus", "what dilapidated second hand underperforming system did you play doom on" and "whats your favourite collection of random blue pixels in the COMP texture set" thread that every single attention seeking newbie unfailingly posts, into one easy to read, informative and unobtrusive miniature essay.

If only everyone spared us so kindly ;)

Not quite an introduction post, but i *did* manage to inspire a homosexual atmosphere in the doom universe (see Here) with my first appearance.

Spike said:

Not quite an introduction post, but i *did* manage to inspire a homosexual atmosphere in the doom universe (see Here) with my first appearance.

Oh dear! Ummmm . . . WOW.

/me bashes head against desk.

The Old Git was funny!

Peace,

The Bruce

Welcome Jomero.

Spike said:

hehehe, that was...different. :D

Jomero said:

You're right, there isn't anything about introduction posts. Ignore potgiesser :)

Ugh, I was just inspired to download it again. I got it for the first time earlier today just to hear what the full version sounds like, and now that "you don't deserve to wear that uniform" part is driving me insane. I have to hear it again.

/download

Twiztid said:

hehehe, that was...different. :D

Different/Embarassing/Cringeworthy. Delete as appropriate.
At least the later chapters became less... suspect.

Holy cow, I didn't know doomworld still had this!

This is to show just how much I am NOT a newbie to this site, I give you: My DM experience Story that doomworld.com has been hosting since at November of 1998. :-)

I remember writing another one, but I think it was in a seperate category somewhere else.

Man, if all newbies were like you...

Anyway, enjoy your stay at Doomworld! I'm sure the admins will be happy to help you with stuff like "1001 reasons why ZDoom is better than JDoom" or the [/newproject] tag.

Jomero said:

Holy cow, I didn't know doomworld still had this!

This is to show just how much I am NOT a newbie to this site, I give you: My DM experience Story that doomworld.com has been hosting since at November of 1998. :-)

I remember writing another one, but I think it was in a seperate category somewhere else.

Funny you should mention that -- I just stumbled upon it a couple of days ago. :D

Mordeth said:

You're right, there isn't anything about introduction posts. Ignore potgiesser :)

It's quite humorous because I figured it would be because I see these sorts of posts in hell all the time. But they are way less intelligent than this one.

Heh, I remember playing Doom back in the mid-to-late 90s, back when Quake and Half-Life were the big thing (I didn't pick up to Quake until 1999 and HL until 2002), and I enjoyed it (despite I warezed it :[).

I anticipate Doom 3, despite it's not gonna be more like Classic Doom and more of the "spookyness" factor that later games like Quake brought up.