Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Private Joker

Its gonna be different?

From what i read, it sounds like doom 3 is gonna be very slow paced, unlike 1 and 2. I mean its gonna be a dark environment, so i guess we won't be sprinting through it like the old game. To me, the old game was fun because there were just so many demons to blast, and you're always running around looking for ammo and health while taking shots at hellspawn. I think the games still gonna be awesome, but just walking around slowly waiting for a couple demons to pop up from somewhere doesn't seem as appealing. Sounds to me like Doom's becoming less of a game and more of an "experience".

Heh, you say that as if it's a bad thing. Besides, there will be plenty of monsters to blow away, and from what I've read, the action will be reasonably fast-paced as well.

Its not that its a bad thing, the game still looks and sounds awesome, but i guess i prefer to just play with guns blazing like the old one.

I honestly don't think you'll have to "wait" very long for some demons to toast. :)

I'm sure you will find yourself wishing there were less baddies at some point.

I just wonder how we will be able to handle the Big Bosses. In DooM and DooM ][ the Cyberdeamon was handled by running away a lot. I am not sure if that will be an option in the slower game.

Can't wait to find out!

The Bruce

I don't know why people thought running at the top speed of an average family car in Doom 1 and 2 was fun. Doom 3 you will want to slow down anyways for the sweet ass environment and a look at the base.

The original Doom levels were never really about "OMG action!!!111"; you've been playing too much Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta :P. If you want an action FPS, there's Serious Sam, Painkiller, etc. If you want a scary, atmospheric, bloody excellent (the three qualities the original games were truly all about) FPS, there's Doom 3.

NiGHTMARE said:

The original Doom levels were never really about "OMG action!!!111"; you've been playing too much Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta :P. If you want an action FPS, there's Serious Sam, Painkiller, etc. If you want a scary, atmospheric, bloody excellent (the three qualities the original games were truly all about) FPS, there's Doom 3.

Agreed. Although you can't knock Painkiller; an action game it may be, but as you progress through the game there's some damn beautiful moments... the level design is outstanding.

I'm sure there will be plenty of demons to drop, I'm just worried that the weapons will feel like something out of star trek... shivers.

Heh, i dont think there's any chance of DooM 3 becoming remotley like "hey it all worked out 100% fine in the end!, nobody even has a hair out of place!" star trek

Tyockell said:

I'm just worried that the weapons will feel like something out of star trek... shivers.

Not a chance. This isn't Halo 2, remember.

Ichor said:

Not a chance. This isn't TekWar, remember.

Arioch said:

Not a chance. This isn't Deus Ex 2, remember.

lol Quite.

I wouldn't call the original dooms scary...

blew thru them without that much problem. Even the cyberdemon, i blasted to bits the first time seeing it. Granted, I was at a distance when I first saw it, so it was easy to realize it used rockets and after that, not hard to dodge :)

Doom 3 looks like it will be excellent and user mods will certainly try to stick in as many creatures as the mod team's PC's can handle :)

Sanjay

Heh man, the original Doom was fucking scary back in 1993.

We pissed our pants over the barons in E1M8 in the shareware and did it all over again for the cyberdemon.

Not to mention how utterly (in)tense the rest of the game was compared to anything else that was out at the time. "Dynamic lights" were big back then too.

Nightmare makes a good point.

While I think the original doom is a mix of great action with incredible (for the time) atmosphere, you really have to decide to focus on one or another in today's games. Id chooses to focus on the atmospheric elements, which is defiantly a more mainstream friendly approach.

You could argue that this game is going to be more akin to half-life then classic doom, gameplay wise. It certainly sounds that way.

Doom was atmospheric at it's time like Arioch said. And back then, too many monsters would have spoiled the broth, and the users system. Then in a couple years people started doing more crazy stuff with it. Doom 3 will be atmospheric and too many monsters would spoil the broth, and the users system. Then in a couple of years people will start doing more crazy stuff with it.

And there will always be fanboys 10 years later, when it starts looking like crap when compared to new games :D

Oh I didn't mean Serious Sam or Painkiller were bad games, believe me. Sometimes I just love a mindless blaster :).

If I were forced to name one game series which is similar to Doom 3, I'd have to say Resident Evil. Make RE first person, set it on Mars a couple of hundred years in the future, replace Umbrella with the UAC and the T-Virus experiments with the gateway experiments, improve the graphics and gameplay by 150% or so, add that touch of "ID magic", and you pretty much have Doom 3 :).

insertwackynamehere said:

And there will always be fanboys 10 years later, when it starts looking like crap when compared to new games :D

And there will still be people playing the original Doom.

Today you can walk through a city park and see two old guys playing chess. In 5 years, you'll be able to walk through the same park and see two old guys with laptops playing Doom.

-E