Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GotMeNow

Who should've been responsible for the music

Whether he actually is or not...

Aubrey Hodges. He composed a pants-shittingly scary atmospheric score for PSX Doom and Final Doom. He knows how to make a game scary.

Someone who has the same melodic creativity as the Duke-Nukem-2-era Bobby Prince.

Basically, melody is key. If it's going to be atmospheric and scary, it needs to have a good melody like Diablo 1 music. Otherwise, it's just hype.

GotMeNow said:

Aubrey Hodges. He composed a pants-shittingly scary atmospheric score for PSX Doom and Final Doom. He knows how to make a game scary.

As long as they added "scripting to it" where it changes with the mood, like it has its own mind. Metal Gear Solid 2 is a good example of this... the music can change, but it's nothing abrupt, just layers are added to it, or taken away depending on the intensity of what's going on.

I agree though, that stuff can REALLY put you on edge. It COMPLETELY changes the DOOM feel.

Glad I'm not the only one who LOVED psx doom's ambience/music. So so fitting. Also some of the new/upgraded sounds were really good, some stuff that sticks with me is the echoing effect of most sounds, and the "need keykoard" noise.

Oh man. Yeah. It seriously does change the way you look at DOOM. Before, it was (for the most part) second-rate MIDI stuff. When the PSX version music came along, it seriously got scary. Well, those new colored lighting effects didn't hurt too much either.

Umm neither did the animated firey sky. :D

DoomUK said:

Absolutely. PSX Doom had the best music in a computer game, ever.

Heh, I remember the music in PSX Doom gave me nightmares back in 96. You gotta remember, this was my first Doom experience and the game was so scary then (even more so with the music, which just absolutely rocks) for me, especially when I was playing at around midnight, with all the lights off and the sound up loud.

I have to agree with you there m8, ur 100% right about the ps1 music... I have "yet" to find something as scary as that... Silent hill is different scary....

But it was not music really, more a constant moan, grasp.. I think anyways...

But yes, great indeed..

Dest-X said:

I think Reznor would have done a good job.

I agree. Once again, I point Quake's "theme," and it works really well. I'm sure his musical taste has evolved in the past eight years since that was written, and I would bet he'd still be more than able to put out something fitting for the new game.

mje said:

I agree. Once again, I point Quake's "theme," and it works really well. I'm sure his musical taste has evolved in the past eight years since that was written, and I would bet he'd still be more than able to put out something fitting for the new game.

I still say it, it's such a shame that he pulled out of the project.

btw I'm glad to see that there are others who admire Reznor's work on Quake.

AndrewB said:

Someone who has the same melodic creativity as the Duke-Nukem-2-era Bobby Prince.

Basically, melody is key. If it's going to be atmospheric and scary, it needs to have a good melody like Diablo 1 music. Otherwise, it's just hype.

Co-signs

Glad to know im not alone in the world

Also agreeing that Reznor's work in quake was awesome and that his pullout was dissapointing, but not for musical reasons - his sounds effects were awesome

GotMeNow said:

I second that EMOTION!!!

Tsar,

It's nice to play DOOM II on prBoom with the console doom music wad. It really takes me back to the psx version days. (for those of you who want to relive them :D)