Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
w M w

opening master or plutonia with zdoom

I bought plutonia/tnt cd, and also the master/maximum cd. Both are excellent... but... is there some sort of protection on these wads that prevent them from being opened by zdoom? The only way I seem to be able to get them to play is through the original doom2 engine, or through that weird "doomit" interface. But of course, in addition to being of a lower resolution, there's those "you're not using dos so the whole game will be buggy, plus you don't have the right soundcard anyway bla bla" problems.

Master comes with a folder and all the wads are listed there... so I drag and drop, say attack.wad from master, into zdoom... but it just opens the original normal doom2 32 level megawad instead. And I love the plutonia levels... they're some of my favorite. They have to be playable with zdoom somehow??

The drag and drop won't work with older versions of that engine; perhaps you're using v1.22, the last non-beta release?

You can also use the command line (Run, or a shortcut's command line) to launch PWADs, like this:

zdoom -file attack.wad

Adding any necessary paths.

As for Plutonia, it's an IWAD, so use the -iwad parameter instead of -file.

sweet, that run trick worked... and if I'm not completely retarded, it seems to have "woken up" that folder or something so they all work. upon further inspection though, another problem that I had to troubleshoot and fix was a bit odd. I was trying to get blacktwr.wad (of master) to work, but it appeared to only go to the original doom2 iwad instead. I figured out that blacktwr replaced map 25... so I had to warp to map 25 to get there. That's weird because the other master levels replace, say, map 7... but when you load that wad in zdoom, it AUTOMATICALLY warps you to 7. You don't have to do it manually.

If that iwad method for plutonia works, I'll feel like an idiot. Thanks!

Like most pwads, the Master Levels all come with a text file, which provides a variety of information, including the map (or maps) it replaces. That tells you which map you need to warp to.

w M w said:
That's weird because the other master levels replace, say, map 7... but when you load that wad in zdoom, it AUTOMATICALLY warps you to 7.

I'll just give this a straight "WTF?".