Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. NobodX

Another reason for not smoking...

Perhaps; then again, while working at Liverpool Royal Hospital i came across a patient who had smoked 20 a day since she was 16, and had drank half a bottle of brandy a night for years. She didn't look a day over 60 (i checked her records later; it turns out she was pushing 80), and walked out of the hospital with a clean bill of health.

Stranger things have happened.

Skeletor said:

(Excuse my language in this post)
When I turned 18 on May 2nd, 2004, I bought my first pack of Marlboro lights.
In the end, I just threw my pack away, not even finishing the whole pack.

There's one fatal flaw with your story. Marlboros are the worst cigs ever. I don't know anybody who actually smokes them. Seriously-your story doesn't really make a point. Even a heavy smoker would toss a pack of Marlboros if they accidently bought one.
Thus the term, dumped like Marlboros.

Endureth said:

Chances are, if you're a smoker you won't make it to eighty.

-E

If you smoke 5 packs a day.
If your will is strong enough, you can smoke a little every now and then, and that's it.
Hell, I think it's a good excersise in self control.

Any points against 'chicks don't dig it/you smell like shit' is bullshit. If your parents smoked when you were a kid, you will become attracted to the smell of smoke. Thus, chicks whose parents smoked will dig you. You will smell like shit--maybe--only to those who have never had a childhood experiance with smoking.

Regardless, people don't smoke to look cool. Well, I'm sure there are, but those people are idiots. The reason people smoke is to get a temporary high which is stronger than the same amount of marijuana for a short time. It's convenient for breaks during work or relieveing stress without F'ing the day up.
If people don't agree witht the 'higher than pot' statement, that's because you haven't smoked enough to be able to take enough to take several long drag straight to the head.
Not to mention that an eight of kind can cost up to $50, for which you can get 140 or so cigs.

I'm not bashing smoking anything. I'm not suggesting anyone smoke anything. I'm just saying, it's your descision, and don't base it off of some bullshit spam from media sources, whether it's pro smoking or anti.
(people will think about replying to this saying 'what bullshit media spam against smoking?' then they'll remember those 'truth' ads that tried to make an argument against smoking by showing that most ceo's of smoking companies are corrupt bastards---even having the nerve to do so when we know that pretty much all CEO's, of any company, are evil mfuckers.)

Spike said:

Incidently, I heard that smoking reduces the risks of Alzheimers disease in later life. I'd rather have a bad chest than forget my daughter's name when I turn eighty.

#1, that sounds like pure ____. #2, you would rather forget your daughter's name when you turn 60?

Smoking does not trim off the last painful years of your life. It simply makes them come earlier and doubles the length.

=laff=Mish said:

[stuff]

That post was almost as funny as a Darwin victim, in a disturbing kind of way. Natural selection continues to work for the rest of us.

like i said it kills some quick or has adverse effect quick other it doesnt. like compareing my aunt and cousin.

my aunt is in her late 70's and has had cancer many many times, and alot of shit removed. yet is still alive.

my cousin contracted cervical cancer, infact both have. in cancer you dont really inherit(SP) it, but lack an ability to fight certian types. Also cervical cancer is linked to smoking. they came from a heavy smokeing house hold and took it up at age 11-13. also other things where aginst them, drinking water being the big one here, has traces of DDT among other things. i tease her cause she bitches about money, but cant give up smoking or her cellphone. also smoking while having cancer isnt gonna help anything.

as far as smoking related accidents and my cousins go. the second oldest one, i have 5 damn it, accidentaly lit her hair on fire when lighting it up.

burned a kid on accident, my step aunt. was watching a kid of a girl my dad dated. well they where in the car. she tossed her but out the window, well his was open. it went back in and burned his ear.

Sephiroth said:

i dont even hang out with a good friend cause he chews, and i would rather see him smoke.

christ when i first saw him spit that shit out, i puked. it was in his car and i mean i puked. i told him to drop me off at my mom's house and that i would not be around him while doing that shit. he wanted me to clean out the car, i would have had he only gotten rid of his bucket of shit.

WOW, you are a great friend!

AndrewB said:

#1, that sounds like pure ____. #2, you would rather forget your daughter's name when you turn 60?

Here's the thing; I passed my nan while shopping today. I said 'Hi, how have you been?', and she just stared at me blankly and carried on walking. She's got Alzheimers, and doesn't even fucking recognise me. She rarely recognises her own son - my dad - when he drops by her place.
Another thing. My mum had to have a hysterectomy and double masectomy due to cancer. She hardly smokes. Her mum barely got by cancer this year, and only due to the doctors removing most of her genatalia.
Finally, Jay's mum (for people who don't know, VampiraJay is my wife) was told by doctors that if she quit smoking and dieted, she'd be fine.
2 years after she'd complied to - and stuck by - these guidelines, she dropped dead of a heart attack, barely 40 years old, leaving Jay with no immediate family.

If it wasn't such a fucking in-your-face situation, i may be laughing at the irony. As it stands, i can't help but cry.

I'm not proud that i smoke. I'm not ignorant to the potential health issues. I ain't talking coincidences. I'm saying that people suffer seven kinds of hell-sent shite regardless of whether or not they smoke. Fuck co-incidences. I've known too many people who've died/nearly died from everything under the sun - and only a few of those people touched a ciggie.

Boil-down-point : Yeah, ciggies are teh evil, whatever. Plenty of evils out there. Smoking is just one item on a list of many.

Think about all the money you've wasted! It could be better spent on cocaine! =) But seriously man, try thinking of all the other stuff you could do with your smoke money...

POTGIESSER said:

Think about all the money you've wasted!

well, now, I don't throw my smokes away...they aren't wasted...heh

POTGIESSER said:

But seriously man, try thinking of all the other stuff you could do with your smoke money...

Like buy weed!

AndrewB said:

That post was almost as funny as a Darwin victim, in a disturbing kind of way. Natural selection continues to work for the rest of us.

I like how you argued my points instead of just being an asshole and saying 'WRONG'.

Regular discussion continues to work for the rest of us.

POTGIESSER said:

But seriously man, try thinking of all the other stuff you could do with your smoke money...

Tap water is free. Soda is about 2 dollars for a 2 li. If you drink three every week, you'll spend around $14,400 by the time you reach fifty. If you bothered to invest that money over a fifty year period, you would have a pretty decent sum of money, enough to buy your kids quite a future.

Are you going to stop drinking soda?

Anyways, with all the money I've spent on smoking, I could buy...
not even a nice chair.
That argument works a lot better against smoking weed.

=laff=Mish said:

There's one fatal flaw with your story. Marlboros are the worst cigs ever. I don't know anybody who actually smokes them. Seriously-your story doesn't really make a point. Even a heavy smoker would toss a pack of Marlboros if they accidently bought one.
Thus the term, dumped like Marlboros.
B]

....just because you don't like marbs. and my story does make a point. I'm saying don't smoke, but its your choice.

Twiztid said:

Like buy weed!

Man, I just realised...

If I spent as much on weed as some people spend on cigs, I'd have... A lot more weed than I'd ever smoke. Whoo...sweetness. Or not.

POTGIESSER said:

I get mine for free.

Heh, me too actualy. People just hand me the stuff and I'm like "yeah, sure thing". I've never payed for the stuff in my life. That's one of the great thigns about it. It's probably the only major drug besides alcohol that people will just give to you out of generosity.

There's this smoke shop that recently opened up that not only sells all the pipes etc. They sell the seeds, fertilizer, bud brownies, bud cookies, bud bannabread, and a menu with a wide selection of strains to choose from. And it's not that legal smoke bullshit, it's the real deal. Apparently it's legal because they're paying taxes on everything they sell and they're only supposed to sell it to people who need it medically. But if you take this form that they have and pay $25 and sign it at the notary republic your legally entitled to carry up to a half ounce. Good 'ol drug laws.

=laff=Mish said:

Tap water is free. Soda is about 2 dollars for a 2 li. If you drink three every week, you'll spend around $14,400 by the time you reach fifty.

$2 for a 2-liter bottle of soda? At the grocery store, they typically cost 80ยข. And I would never go through that much soft drink.

But yes, $5 a week can become thousands of dollars after fifty years. The thing is, after 50 years, you should have anywhere between half a million to a few million saved. Who's going to notice a difference of $14 thousand?

Heh, look like the thread got bigger than i expected...

As for me, i decided not to smoke when some guy burned me with one at the grocery, when i was young... So far, I've converted both my mom (after multiple failed attempts) and her new husband.

Oh yeah, and my grandpa smoked till he had a heart attack, also when i was young. He survived, fortunately, but he never touched a cig since... He's still alive now, 10 years or so after this incident.

AndrewB said:

But yes, $5 a week can become thousands of dollars after fifty years. The thing is, after 50 years, you should have anywhere between half a million to a few million saved. Who's going to notice a difference of $14 thousand?

Exactly my point. The thing is, I smoke about every day, and spend about $2.50 a week. If you're not smoking 50 packs a day, you're fine.
And I don't think anyone that smokes 50 packs a day is going to be turned, or get rid of their addiction, by someone saying 'think about the money'.